It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas executes low-IQ convicted killer

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
In response to your claim of an "emotional" execution: The crimes were committed in April 1997, the sentence was announced in May 1998. After numerous applications for relief, writs and the lengthy appellate process, the execution was scheduled in October 2008. The execution is carried out in December 2009.

I think that length of time and examination by numerous parties, removes the "emotional" aspect. An "emotional" execution would have been to have "strung him up", immediately after Woods led law enforcement to the body of victim. We could argue the validity of that approach, too.

To me, the question of IQ, is irrelevant. The measure of his capacity to know right from wrong, is important. How does one determine that? Not by asking him to take some sort of test, the results of which he might or might not manipulate. It is by examining the crime.

I was not able to, quickly, find a complete description of the facts of the crime, but a few details were easily located.

In this, particular, case, what steps did Woods take to avoid detection in the kidnapping of this 11 year old girl and her 9 year old brother? He did not enter the home of the children and their mother (his estranged girlfriend), where he had been living, through the front door. He entered through an unlocked window.

What steps did he take to avoid being witnessed committing the rape and murder of the girl? First, he drove them to a secluded cemetery. Second, he beat the boy into unconsciousness, resulting in fragments of his skull being forced into his brain, and left him for dead. Third, he violently murdered the girl, by slashing her throat, after raping her. So, Woods eliminated the witness and victim to prevent testimony against him (except the boy survived).

My final thought is that anyone who commits such acts against a child, or any other human being for that matter, is not "normal", regardless of their IQ. To put it in "redneck" terms...They are not wired right... So, I disagree with the basic premise of your argument, anyway.

Oh, and let me go ahead and address the fact that, yes, I live in that land of evil, Texas. Which, I expect you would have gleaned from mini-profile, to the left.

Edit to add: In the words of the "redneck", Texas comedian, Ron White... "Some states are doing away with the death penalty. My state is putting in an express lane" (paraphrased)

[edit on 4-12-2009 by WTFover]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by northof8

More ridiculous comments! Just give up mate, seriously!

Hmmm, could it be that the OP is just another Brit who is strangely obsessed with American culture, allowing his jealousy to manifest itself in these troll bait threads, namely by calling us "Rednecks".

If you want a Green Card THAT badly, just call the consulate.

As for your "mate" the murderer, we Americans don't tolerate poor behavior too well, especially when it involves murdering small children.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The real irony in the US death penalty is that in most cases it would cost far less to keep an inmate in prison for life than it does to eventually carry out a death sentence.

State mandated killings are expensive.

Now, if they could only find a way to reduce costs involved with those on death row and expedite executions, perhaps even consider cheaper methods of death as well, several state budgets would be relieved of this costly financial burden.

The Obama administration should consider hiring a "Death Czar" to work on this as soon as possible.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
reply to post by Maxmars

I'm not saying that this person was innocent of the deed. But IF he were, how would you feel now that he is dead?

If he is innocent & did not commit the crime, then yes, a huge tragedy has occurred.

But, with respect, i don't think that this is the argument at hand. Should he get a "get out of jail free" card simply because his IQ is a little low?

And further more - should IQ tests be admissible in court - given the incredible ease in fudging their results?

Neither the OP or anyone opposing this decision has mentioned letting the person go free. The question is whether he should have been executed.

There is no doubt that this man did perpetrate this terrible crime and no-one is defending what he did. It was a horrible and vicious attack on a poor defenceless child.

But as I said earlier, if it had been found that he was incapable of realising the full implications of his actions, then the death sentence is wrong. He should have been locked up for life for the safety of the community.

Now, after seeing the evidence at hand (which isn't a lot), I would say that this person probably did understand what he was doing was wrong and so, the correct sentence was probably carried out according to the laws of the State of Texas.

The trouble is, it also appears to be the case that his mental abilities have not been fully investigated, which in itself means that the death sentence was premature and that the man did not get a fair hearing.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

As has been indicated by a mod, personal attacks are not permitted on this site so I shall not bother responding to your personal attack on me except to point out that I am Australian, not British.

As for your "mate" the murderer, we Americans don't tolerate poor behavior too well, especially when it involves murdering small children.

We Aussies realised decades ago that executing people is not the correct form of justice. Hence we voted to abolish it.

[edit on 4/12/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrytiesIn which case you should rightfully be arrested, charged with murder and placed in a jail cell for the rest of your natural life, just like the executed man should have been.

wouldn't give a damn, would be worth it to extinguish the life out of that insect- my "crime" would not be on a par with his, regardless of what happens to me in the judicial process

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

((Don't make me stop this car.......))

Back on topic - i believe you're semi-agreeing with me on the IQ test thing, but just to make sure, here's an example:

Rearrange the following letters to make a word and choose the category in which it fits.

RAPETEKA

A. city
B. fruit
C. bird
D. vegetable

If i answer D here, i am not forced to show what i think the word is. The real answer, of course, is C, because the word is Parakeet

Which one of the sets of letters below can be arranged into a five letter English word.

A. a t r u n
B. p o d e b
C. r n a s l
D. m o h a t
E. e t l r n

The answer is C. C= snarl...but i could have answered A and proven myself incompetent.

I can willfully fail this test and then cop a plea of stupidity.

Had this guy - long before his crime - been proven mentally unstable - then yes- he should not have been executed for his crimes....we should have went after the person that allowed him to get close to an 11 year old girl.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetsehHmmm, could it be that the OP is just another Brit who is strangely obsessed with American culture, allowing his jealousy to manifest itself in these troll bait threads, namely by calling us "Rednecks".

If you want a Green Card THAT badly, just call the consulate.

Not all Brits are like that, I am one, and can only dream of a justice system that rightly executes child murdering filth

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrytiesWe Aussies realised decades ago that executing people is not the correct form of justice. Hence we voted to abolish it.

Voted for it when exactly?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
He was smart enough to abduct and kill a child. I am not going to feel any compassion for this guy. I know people with low IQ's and they do not kill children. The excuses doesn't fly. This is another criminal who got caught and wants a loophole to save them.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

...and what, in the end, would torturing him achieve?

Executions in capital cases should be swift, and as close to instant as possible... Lingering torture does nothing save legitimize barbarity. ...and isn't that what we're supposedly against? It won't bring that little girl back, it won't keep it from happening again...

Quick, and as painless as possible.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

www.nswccl.org.au...

The last person executed in Australia was Ronald Ryan in 1967.

Australia is a federation of States. The Federal Government abolished the death penalty in 1973: Death Penalty Abolition Act 1973 (Cth). All Australian States and Territories have abolished the death penalty.

Though the death penalty for murder was abolished in NSW in 1955, NSW was the last state to completely abolish the death penalty when in 1985 capital punishment was abolished for treason and piracy: Crimes Amendment (Death Penalty Abolition) Act 1985 (NSW).

Australia has signed the Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which commits Australia to the abolition of the death penalty. For how this affects domestic law, see UNSWCCL's comment piece: The PM could protect us from the death penalty.

Australia voted for the UN General Assembly's resolution calling for a global moratorium on the death penalty (18 December 2007).

Australia annually co-sponsors a resolution of the UN Human Rights Commission that calls for all nations to abolish the death penalty. The latest version of the resolution was passed on 20 April 2005 and is called The Question of the Death Penalty (UN Doc E/CN.4/RES/2005/59)

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

The OP is australian - not from the UK.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

www.nswccl.org.au...

The last person executed in Australia was Ronald Ryan in 1967.

Australia is a federation of States. The Federal Government abolished the death penalty in 1973: Death Penalty Abolition Act 1973 (Cth). All Australian States and Territories have abolished the death penalty.

Though the death penalty for murder was abolished in NSW in 1955, NSW was the last state to completely abolish the death penalty when in 1985 capital punishment was abolished for treason and piracy: Crimes Amendment (Death Penalty Abolition) Act 1985 (NSW).

Australia has signed the Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which commits Australia to the abolition of the death penalty. For how this affects domestic law, see UNSWCCL's comment piece: The PM could protect us from the death penalty.

Australia voted for the UN General Assembly's resolution calling for a global moratorium on the death penalty (18 December 2007).

Australia annually co-sponsors a resolution of the UN Human Rights Commission that calls for all nations to abolish the death penalty. The latest version of the resolution was passed on 20 April 2005 and is called The Question of the Death Penalty (UN Doc E/CN.4/RES/2005/59)

THought you meant the Aussies had some sort of popular vote, apparently they didn't, it was the chattering classes who decided it

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

And all Aussies supported it then and still support it now. It is something that we, as a nation, take pride in believing.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This thread is getting silly now, full of people who cannot or will not have a sensible and logical debate, but instead are reduced to petty, personal remarks and vicious tiredes of barely legible ranting.

I'm off!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrytiesAnd all Aussies supported it then and still support it now. It is something that we, as a nation, take pride in believing.

what gibberish, how the hell can you know what "all" AUssies think- the reason why it is not put to a popular vote (same goes for here in the UK), is that the establishment know it would be voted for

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

from the OP article:

Tests administered to Woods put his IQ anywhere from the 60s to the 80s. An IQ of 70 is considered the threshold for mental impairment.

Anywhere from 60 to 80, but 70 or less is considered mentally incapable?

But incapable of what? Responsibility? If someone is incapable of responsibility - should they not be unqualified for privilege?

We tell 19 year olds that they are not responsible enough yet to drink alcohol, so they lose that privilege.

We tell 15 year olds that they are not responsible enough to drive a car yet, so they don't have that privilege.

If someone is truly incapable of responsibility for heinous crimes like this - should they be allowed any privilege? Or should they not spend their entire lives in a ward somewhere that they can be constantly watched and cared for?

My guess is that no matter what the answer, there will be an ultra radical group of people ready to stand up for his "rights" - regardless of the fact that (according to his attorneys) he has no responsibility.

That is the disgraceful part as well.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
whats sickening to the core is the OP actually ignoring the events - how he calculated enough to take the CHILDREN to a quiet location , how he tried to KILL the boy to silence the witness and how he raped , cut apart then raped the girl.

low iq? this is cold blooded and calculated CHILD RAPE and MURDER

nothing more.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join