It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas executes low-IQ convicted killer

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by northof8

...and what, in the end, would torturing him achieve?

Executions in capital cases should be swift, and as close to instant as possible... Lingering torture does nothing save legitimize barbarity. ...and isn't that what we're supposedly against? It won't bring that little girl back, it won't keep it from happening again...

Quick, and as painless as possible.

even though i disagree with the DP, this post shows that you can still support DP and have a heart.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I'm all for the death penalty, if its done in a humane way. Which poses a bit of a problem with the methods currently being used. I remember watching some incredibly morbid documentary a couple of years back where they investigated the various methods of execution used over the last century and they all turned out to be pretty bad. Even the lethal injection. Apparantly the chemicals they inject paralyse you and then stop your heart.. but inbetween the paralysis and death it causes the person injected with it severe pain. But obv they have no way to express this.

Think the most humane method that was suggested was a gas of some description which made the person feel euphoric and accepting of the situation before they passed out & died.

Plus, I really dont like the thought of mine & others tax money being spent paying for food, tv licenses etc for people who have zero respect for human life.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Yeah, so being mentally less capable is an allowable justification for assaulting and killing a child.

I'm sorry, but not only is the death penalty well deserved in many cases, it's also outright more humane.

Would you prefer he be locked away for the rest of his life? Left to dwell on his crime? Condemned to suffer over it? Or would you prefer he be let back out on the streets, after intensive therapy? Trustful in believing that someone who wasn't capable of recognizing what he was doing was wrong should be perfectly alright in society?

Those are the kind of answers that are complete bullocks, generated by people who have bleeding hearts and no common sense. Of course they're not really those people's problems, it never effects them, so what do they care? They can sit in their ivory towers feeling superior while someone else suffers at the depravity of a criminal, mentally handicapped or not.

No, the death sentence was the right choice, and far better to be put to death than to be forced to linger on, draining taxpayer dollars and having what humanity you possess stripped away by prison.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by northof8

...and what, in the end, would torturing him achieve?

Executions in capital cases should be swift, and as close to instant as possible... Lingering torture does nothing save legitimize barbarity. ...and isn't that what we're supposedly against? It won't bring that little girl back, it won't keep it from happening again...

Quick, and as painless as possible.

even though i disagree with the DP, this post shows that you can still support DP and have a heart.

Well I suppose we all can have a heart. The thing is I think the parents should have some input in the process. Let their feelings determine the punishment.

I would have no problem with that. If they want the guy to live so be it... But if they want to torture the guy slowly over days or years then I say let them.

Personally I hope he suffered at his time of execution. I hope his fear was so great that he pissed himself. I hope his fear was so great his hair turned white on the spot. I hope he lived as long as anyone could during execution and I hope it was very painful beyond comprehension. I hope that in some part he was still there in a sense when they pronounced him dead so he was forced to embrace the absolute horror of his end for his unspeakable crime. I hope his fear follows him where ever he is for a very long time.

That way maybe he would have felt and does feel just a tiny bit of what he did to that little girl.

His pain and those that feel sorry for this evil prick are the last thoughts that go through my mind when it comes to killing innocent people and even more so when it comes to children. I could care less about his life and I could care even less about those that would defend this guys right to exist after the absolute mortal destruction of an innocent little girl.

I suppose that to most who are against the death penalty in this evil dogs case just consider the 11 year old little girl nothing more than a late term abortion. You really can't see it any other way in my opinion. What a bunch of sick twisted people...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I have always been in favor of the death penalty, but am rethinking my beliefs.

Let's see: This savage kidnapped, raped and murdered an 11-year-old girl. If anyone deserves the death penalty, it would be him, despite his IQ. But would it be better to put him in prison, where he would be brutalized himself for most of the rest of his life? Or where he would prey on other, weaker inmates?

I really am trying to sort this out. Is "eye for an eye" always wrong? If I had caught this animal in the act, I would have done everything I could to kill him. Is the fact that I kill him 11 years later any different?

And what are the chances that he will be sent to some mental institution where he will eventually escape or be released and then murder another little girl? I think my main concern is that he will be Willie Horton-ed or, as we now say, Huckabee-ed.

It's a crappy, sin-filled world. I'm glad I didn't have to make the decision whether or not to execute this killer.

Sigh. At least I hope he repented before he died. Maybe that little girl is forgiving him right now in Heaven.

My head hurts.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

There won't be world peace until we end the death penalty.

Period.

What? How in the world did you jump to THAT conclusion?!? I think there are more pressing issues to resolve for world peace than capital punishment.

While I know (I think we all do) that capital punishment is a very heated and contested subject matter in my personal opinion it should be used for the most heinous crimes, like this one and like it is. Sure some say all your doing is committing another murder and why not just lock them up for life. I see a few reasons why the enforcement of the death penalty is a better choice:

1. In my humble opinion the punishment should fit the crime. Life in prison does not fit the crime of murdering someone in premeditated cold blood, the only punishment that does is death.

2. Contrary to what a lot of people think, many, many prisoners really do not mind serving life in prison over the death penalty(why do you think so many confess or serial killers tell where bodies are to avoid it). Yes, we all know prison is no cake walk, but it is also not the hell people think it is. After a while in there people get used to it, they adapt. Hell, most prisoners get cable tv, drugs, cigarettes, a lot of visits from friends or family (if they have any), very decent food considering where they are, etc.

While I am not trying to say that being in prison for life is better than being free, I am saying that in most cases life in prison for someone who committed cold blooded murder, rape, and kidnapping is almost like a slap on the wrist to those types of people. So IMHO it doesn't fit the crime.

3. When we have people that do such things that get them sentenced to die then I see no need to keep them around. They obviously gave failed in their lives, failed society, are a threat to society, and useless to society. Therefore it is only logical (again, in my opinion) to terminate them (preferably no later than 5 years after sentence to speed up the process and cut down the money to keep them). Also in my opinion it is morally right to punish them accordingly.

**Now if there is a legitimate mental impairment or something else then of course it is a different story, but other then that no.**

There will always be murder to some extent for the conceivable future until we as a race evolve past that primitive and ignorant instinct, and even then there is bound to still be some, maybe not to the degree of today, but some none-the-less. The day there is no more murders will either be the day we as species no longer exist or the day we truly advance to a level of (almost god-like) consciousness hardly conceivable right now.

Until that time comes however, all we can do is continue to try and take preventative measures and harshly punish those who do commit the worst of all crimes. Sure some may call use of the death penalty "barbaric" or "hypocritical", but in my opinion this is all we can do right now because in my opinion one taking the life of an innocent human being is NOT comparable to the justice system punishing a guilty individual in the same manner as the act they committed (killing them).

[edit on 12/4/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
"we need the death penalty to show that we love children".

now, does that sound right to you? because it's kinda the mindset of pro-DP people. they say they support it because they care about the children.

having the death penalty teaches children that love is conditional.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
One of the few threads I'll reply to without reading all of the replies.
Said criminal IS convicted, go away with your global warming, make me feel good philosophy.
Being mental is the worst excuse to keep these offenders alive.
*edit to add*
they do recommit their crimes, always

[edit on 12/4/2009 by LAUGHING-CAT]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Why are you blaming rednecks When this went all the way to the supreme court? If they come in here to defend anything, it will be the unjust attack against a whole group of people you have deemed "rednecks" before you have ever even met them.

You must have missed the bit I put at the end of my OP where I apologised for my use of the word "redneck" and explained what I meant by it. You, in your haste to pick me up on something, have obviously skipped right over this. So here it is again for you.....

*******NOTE******* I have been informed that my use of the term "redneck" is inappropriate for the message I am trying to convey. I apologise for this. I was simply trying to convey an "attitude" rather than a certain set of people.

[edit on 4/12/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by LordBucket

If you had have taken a moment to check my profile, you would see that I do not support the death penalty AT ALL. I believe it is wrong and a blight on humanity that we still execute people.

That could have been solved quite easily with a quick peruse of my profile....

While I understand where your heart is, unfortunately in a society such as our own the death penalty is a necessary tool needed to enforce our laws. One of the biggest problems with our system is that jail isn't meant to be more comfortable then living in the hood or on the streets. When criminals don't fear the consequences of their actions, there's not much else stopping them these days.

Rehabilitation is used to argue capital punishment as well as harsher prisons that might actually make people not want to spend time inside of them. The biggest problem encountered here is most prisons don't offer adequate programs to properly rehabilitate it's inmates. When an inmate is released from prison with the same intellect and mind frame that he or she possessed when they went into prison back into the same society that molded them, then there's a pretty good REALISTIC chance that these people will commit the same crimes that landed them in jail the first time.

Imagine a society with much harsher penalties given out to people who commit felonies who actually fear these penalties. Call me crazy but I believe there would be a decline in crime. Everybody complains about the illegal alien problem we are currently facing. Logically thinking, why wouldn't these people try and get into America where they have a chance of getting a job and making enough money to live, when all they are risking is being sent back? If word got out that people who are caught are executed on the spot, it would be just one more problem in this country that would magically fix itself.

Bottom line here is if you take away the death penalty the only thing accomplished will be even more overcrowding in already overcrowded prisons. At least Texas and other capital punishment states clear out a cell here and there every now and then.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

"we need the death penalty to show that we love children".

now, does that sound right to you? because it's kinda the mindset of pro-DP people. they say they support it because they care about the children.

having the death penalty teaches children that love is conditional.

And here is another one that thinks that the 11 year old girl was nothing more than a late term abortion. Yes. by all means let the perp go... He deserves to have more lust filled murderous rampages with our children.

Yes, we must kill these evil dogs because we do love our children.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
id be ashamed to raise kids in a world were people have sympathy for child killers.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I really could care less if he was retarded, mentally ill, or brain dead, he raped and murdered an 11 year old girl, what good could come out of keeping him around for numerous years on our tax dollars. Society is better off, and so are my daughters with this scum bag dead, why even waste space of writing about him. I say great job Texas! I bet none of you who think it was wrong would be thinking that way if it was your little girl, or your sister, niece. Bet you wouldn't.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I wonder, is a mentally challenged person who is psychotic and violent any less dangerous than a dangerous person with a normal IQ? Likely not.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
id be ashamed to raise kids in a world were people have sympathy for child killers.

And I am ashamed to be living in a world where one can repeatedly say, multiples times throughout the thread, that I abhore what the man did and that he deserves to be punished - and yet have people continually accuse me of having "sympathy" for him regardless of plainly written English stating otherwise.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Kryties

I wonder, is a mentally challenged person who is psychotic and violent any less dangerous than a dangerous person with a normal IQ? Likely not.

Either which way, the death penalty is wrong and a blight on humanity that we allow it to continue.

One does not have to kill someone to punish them.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xAZIMUTHpx

As has already been addressed in this thread, it costs more to execute someone than it does to incarcerate them.

Please check out this web site: www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Imightknow

Imagine a society with much harsher penalties given out to people who commit felonies who actually fear these penalties. Call me crazy but I believe there would be a decline in crime. Everybody complains about the illegal alien problem we are currently facing. Logically thinking, why wouldn't these people try and get into America where they have a chance of getting a job and making enough money to live, when all they are risking is being sent back? If word got out that people who are caught are executed on the spot, it would be just one more problem in this country that would magically fix itself.

Your kidding right?

No, THAT crime does NOT fit a punishment of death. That would be a step back, there are other ways to deal with the immigration issue other than killing all caught illegal aliens on the spot.

As far as also executing ALL people convicted with felonies? That is even worse, that is NOT a justice system, that is beyond words how horrendous that thought is. You realize someone who forged a check for even ten dollars is charged with a felony? So I guess they should be killed on the spot too right? I am in agreement with capital punishment for capital offenses only, what you suggested is just awful and not a solution to any problem, hell it really isn't a solution to murder, just a "stop gap measure" really.

[edit on 12/4/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Bring back public executions, the medieval stockade and public whippings. Also it's time to prosecute treason in high office. Much of our current leadership probably needs to do some public humiliation time.

Instead we have judges and governors pardoning hardened murderers and rapists, like that cop killer up in Tacoma. Everything is backwards.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Bottom line hre: rape and murder a child in Texas, and they WILL execute you...end of story.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join