It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Approves Plan for Pakistan Drone Expansion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

White House Approves Plan for Pakistan Drone Expansion

www.foxnews.com

The White House has approved an expansion of the CIA’s drone program in Pakistan, the New York Times reported.

The Obama administration reportedly is talking with Pakistan about expanding the program from Waziristan to Baluchistan, a controversial move since it is outside the tribal areas.

Baluchistan is where Afghan Taliban leaders are believed to be hiding.

The decision corresponds with the president’s Tuesday announcement to send 30,000 additional troops to Afghanistan
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pentagon ramps up direct military aid to Pakistan

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
But ar the Pakistanis really committed to kicking out the al-Qaeda?

"It is not clear how an expanded military effort in Afghanistan addresses the problem of Taliban and Al Qaeda safe havens across the border in Pakistan," said Sen. Richard Lugar, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

And what exactly is the role of the Drone aircraft?

"It is not clear how an expanded military effort in Afghanistan addresses the problem of Taliban and Al Qaeda safe havens across the border in Pakistan," said Sen. Richard Lugar, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

It certainly will put more pressure on the bad guys, but without intelligence on the ground (from Pakistani intelligence), what good are the drones?

I understand that if you are al-Qaeda, the sound of a drone high above your . is very disquieting!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I think they should give Obama another nobel peace prize next year... After all, he's so for peace... I mean war = peace in this new world order...

We've always been at war with Eastasia! Newspeak is the true language of the american people!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
I understand that if you are al-Qaeda, the sound of a drone high above your . is very disquieting!

In reality they dont even know they are there. They are so high up all they'll know is BOOM. Then 70 virgins!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

In reality they dont even know they are there. They are so high up all they'll know is BOOM. Then 70 virgins!

Or more usually, 70 dead innocent people. But what the hell they are only colatteral damage, right? Their relatives will understand fully that the US is blameless and in fact welcome the deaths of their family members if it rids their community of an alleged Al Qaida or Taliban member.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

And what exactly is the role of the Drone aircraft?

My thought is that this the 2nd part of their strategy.

If you remember, prior to Obama's announcement of the surge there were two "camps" of what to do in Afganistan. One camp wanted a troop surge. One camp wanted more drones, CIA and special forces.

Well - Everyone saw the announcement of the troop surge. Now this little tid-bit comes sneaking in. The drones are CIA operated. CIA, Special Forces and obeservation drones / planes / sats and local resources likely all work in conjunction to provide the intell for the drones.

To me it sounds like they have basically said publicy, "We are going with the troop surge" while they are actually doing a troop surge combined with more CIA/Special Forces / drones. Basically doing what both camps wanted.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Under President Barack Obama, the pace of strikes by pilotless "drone" aircraft on insurgents in Pakistan is rising and could pick up further after a White House review of regional war strategy.

There have been 39 drone strikes in Pakistan since Obama took office not quite nine months ago, according to a Reuters tally of reports from Pakistani security officials, local government officials and residents.

That compares with 33 strikes in the 12 months before Obama was sworn in on Jan. 20.

The air strikes, many using "Hellfire missiles," are credited most notably with killing Pakistani Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud in August, a much-lauded success that has stoked renewed interest in the potential of robotic warfare.

www.reuters.com...

Normally, I would expect to see this thread full of posts saying that these attacks are illegal, the President is a war criminal, violates international law, and other things along these lines. But this thread isn't about what President Bush is doing.

I'm starting to sense that Obama's war is going to be based on precision targeting. Despite sending more troops, I don't really expect him to use the troops to take the fight to the Taliban/ Al/qeada. I think they will be used to patrol towns while the drones make the strikes.

By announcing that we will withdraw, I think Obama sent a message to the Taliban. Lay low, buy your time, and when we leave you can do what you want.

I think Obama's main goal is to limit the amount of US deaths to as low as he can. As long as US troops aren't dying, the war in Afghanistan won't be the .line news.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

There have been 39 drone strikes in Pakistan since Obama took office not quite nine months ago, according to a Reuters tally of reports from Pakistani security officials, local government officials and residents.
reply to post by jam321

No doubt the Pakistani government likes the Drone solution because they can then blame the casualties on the US. They get rid of the bad guys of their choice and they blame us. Everyone wins and the al-qaeda get the virgins!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
We've had a problem with our drones killing innocent bystanders. Expect more of it.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I thought the Pakistani government was pushing rather aggressively to take over the use of the Drones, rather than the US continuing to do so. Did they back off?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Nope they still want control of the drones. As you may know Pakistan is developing their own armed drones since they were impressed on the Predator.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Drones Made in Pakistan

These days we hear a lot that Pakistan needs Drone Technology, but i am wondering if we really lack in Drone technology in presence of Integrated Dynamics, SATUMA and East and West.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Didn't I already prove you wrong about the entire religious extremism perspective in the fort hood thread and you posting articles in an attempt to disprove me where I quote your own articles showing it was about anti-foreign occupation?

haha but don't worry though
you keep having your fun

and those 70 virgins is all a lie
as soon as they get there they all have a .ache

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join