It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IE 8 Going Topless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm having trouble with Internet Explorer on another machine.

When I open IE8, it is fine for half a second and then the top portion of the screen including all navigation bars and the frame of IE8 itself scrolls upward out of site. I lose control of the browser. Fortunately I can close it by hitting Alt-F4, but I can't use the machine on the web. Everything else works fine, offline.

This happened shortly after I inadvertently tried to view an ATS thread without logging in first.

I have run AVG and Malwarebytes and found nothing. I'm thinking that somehow a script may have been introduced onto the computer to change the registry setting that determines the top border of the page in IE8. Am I on the right track here? Is there a default registry setting that I could locate and reset, or is the problem something else entirely?

As usual, any help appreciated.

I am aware of Firefox, Opera etc., but would prefer to work through this problem. I have tried System Restore but the restore point from last month has disappeared.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I had similar problems with IE7 when, for some reason, it was using too much memory, more that 500 or 600MB.

Did that happened in similar conditions?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

You might be on the right track. I had very little space on my drive just before this occurred and remember getting messages about Windows trying to increase the amount of "Virtual Memory".

In the intervening time I did clear space on the drive. I think I'll try to use IE again and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Edit
Space on the hard drive wasn't the problem. I'm going to run AdAware and SpyBot S&D on the machine. I think though that unless I can suss out the problem in the registry, that I will have to re-install IE8 or do a "repair install" of the OS.

Such is life on the internet. Fortunately I have other computers and firmly believe in the first law of computing: "Redundancy is king."

[edit on 7-12-2009 by ipsedixit]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I seem to have fixed the problem. I went into Control Panel/Settings/Display and changed the resolution and DPI setting of the monitor. When I restarted the computer, IE 8 functioned normally, but looked a little weird (at the new resolution, . . . wasn't what I was used to).

I went back to restore my original monitor settings and when they had been restored IE 8 looked normal again and was funtioning normally, ie., not losing it's top.

I have no idea what the original problem was or why these procedures fixed it.

[edit on 8-12-2009 by ipsedixit]

top topics

join