It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An OPEN CALL to ATS users: STOP...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
However, if you’re making the claim that you’re a star child, that you’re a time traveler, that you’re part of the Illuminati, that you’re psychic, or that you’re the offspring of an alien, you should be able to produce some tangible proof to support your claims. This proof should not be rooted in belief, faith or interpretation, but should be something tangible that can be tested and verified.

Your stating that one should have proof for making such statements but what proof do you have that one should have proof. Do you see the problem here? It is similar to the problem that the logical positivism movement ran into as their primary thesis was something like 'all statements should be rooted or founded on empirical facts.' Their achilles heel, of course, was that there was no empirical foundation to the imperative that their whole philosophy was founded on. Imperatives cannot be empirically verified because they are statements of ontological value such as goodness or badness and there is no element such as goodness that can be measured or weighed in the empirical manner that science requires.

In your post you stated something about thousands of children dying needlessly around the world. I, along with the vast majority of people, agree that needlessly dying children is a horrible thing and preventing such a thing from happening is a very noble cause, but you didn't provide any verifiable proof that needlessly dying children is a bad thing. I don't think you need empirical proof to justify the belief that needlessly dying children is a bad thing nor do I think you'll ever find it as I explained in the above paragraph but I'm just trying further show you how if you use your own criterion of requiring proof for all statements then you wont be able to support some of your own positions.

Additionally, if as you seem to indicate, helping children is the highest pursuit, I think there are some other web sites that are devoted entirely to such causes and you may want to consider frequenting those sites rather than a site like ATS where the main stated directive is to discuss the sorts of topics you either don't seem to like or you require the sort of epistemological justification that rarely or ever will be presented or found.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ch1ldofthe70s

I started one of those threads, due to the shear amount of crap that I'm seeing here. Like racism, anti religion, hyper pro religion, and a lot of hyper aggressive people slating each other for having an opinion.

You may mock my / our post. But if you choose to be racist (Not saying you are by the way) but if You were to start saying things that are just derogatory and unevolved.....expect a backlass from people who want to maintain a little sense and balance.

Everyone has pretty much said "If you dont like it dont log on". Well I don't like it, and Im going to state I dont like it. I dont think some things here are right, and I have an obligation to try and progress change. Not in some NWO Way, you have the right to practice whatever religion , be any colour, do anything you like.

However, you don't have the right to be Racist, Homophobic, Vicious against woman, and so on. There is no need. I think more and more people here are complaining about that, and they have a right to do so.

And so many people here start bashing and bitching and being down right nasty to people for expressing some very simple views, and again, not problems with what people say.....but the way its said sometimes is imature and just horrible.

I won't be leaving ATS, but I would like to see people conduct themselves better. Myself included on that as well.

ATS Was meant to be ablout whistle blowing on theories and alternative news. Instead it seems to have become a home for just trash talk. I think you have the right to debate and argue a point you are not sure of. But argue, Debate, Provide evidence, research cases, refer to literature, thinkers anything to back up you cause.

An example is a conversation I had with a blatent racist who wanted Obama outed because he was black( I ended up getting a little cross and called him a stupid yank - sorry it wont happen again - at least I'm self aware enough to know when I have done wrong) But because I asked him to evidence why being black was wrong, and asked him to evidence his thoughts on politics he went nuts and started accusing me of being a communist, or nazi or something like that. I did remind him that his attitudes were more nazi'ish than mine but there we go.

Its that type of nonsense that this site could do without.

Thats what i'm complaining about. Nasty Vicious people who spoil this site. YES ITS FREE SPEECH. I KNOW. But its neither helpfull or constructive.

People come to ATS not only to learn about all the wierd and wonderful stuff on ATS, and maybe participate in constructive debates about it with a view to making something better than it is.

Instead, at least 60% of the people here just seem hell bent on wrecking everything and being antagonistic. Im sorry, I just dont see the point on any of those people participating in ATS.

Can you imagine a group of world leaders sitting around the table and discussing their problems and issues like some people here do. Cricky! There would be World War 3 through to 10 in about a week. Nothing would get done, everyone would hate each other........almost like Israel and Palastine.

Or....a class room full of children. 20 are trying to have a constructive lesson and learn about the world, 10 are trying to throw rubbers, swear at the teachers, beat up other children.

Just can we please get ATS back on track to being helpful, a good source for underground news, not the rants and raves of hyper disfunctional people.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kilas

Reread my original reply. I agree that respect needs to be maintained. I disagree that people should stop "...lying, fabricating and making far-fetched claims."

Lets face it, some of the most popular conspiracy theories in the world have little to no proof. Enjoy. Agree to disagree instead of trying to dictate to others what to say is the message I am trying to convey. If you can not then this site may not be for you. Having freedom of speech means that some have the rite to speak like an A$$. So its the Mods job to take care of them. Which is sticky since they have to make the call on who went overboard and who is within their respectful rites.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by ch1ldofthe70s]

[edit on 4-12-2009 by ch1ldofthe70s]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
All of life is here. You can't insist that everyone makes well reasoned posts simply because not everyone has the intellectual ability to do so. Sometimes it will just be a deep held conviction/gut feeling that they can't explain. Sometimes there will be credible arguments on BOTH sides of a fence.
Oh and did I mention the pranksters and the nut jobs?
It is what it is. At the least, it's free entertainment. At best it's food for thought. Just relax, chill out, enjoy.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by juzchilln
Why do you read these threads if you don't like them? You just can't justify censorship, it comes out dirty no matter how you look at it.

They get flagged and starred and so end up on the front page taking up space. ATS is supposed to be about denying ignorance, not promoting the made up stories that some kid has created to get people to reply and laugh at them.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Very nice post, only, This is the reason ATS is killing ATS....all the B.S. and nonsense. I use to love this site but, its way out of control with all the garbage.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by EMPIRE

I understand your motivation for this thread EMPIRE. Sometimes many of us feel we need to debrief from all the loopy people. If I find myself getting angry, intolerant or 'aggressive' in threads, I take a few days off from posting to chill out.

I come back refreshed and the snake oil salesmen don't bother me as much.

You just need to learn some mechanisms for coping with the crapola because let's face it... they aren't going anywhere. Where ever there is a circus, there are clowns!

IRM

Amen to that.

Sometimes I neglect to take leave and post in haste, but meh, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. At least I try to temper my posts..

Sometimes it's just easier to have a giggle at my own expense, instead of trying to engage the more stubborn opinions put forward by some.

If nothing else, perhaps a droll thread can give someone a smile with my inane silliness after I've left it..

Or not..

Oh well..

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I agree with the OP (EMPIRE). Lots of delusional people here in ATS, but there are some real people too.

I debunked that "Sun video" (where an object crashes into the Sun). I gave information on the thread over and over and over again and people have not "starred" or even acknowledged my post. My post contained all the evidence to DEBUNK the damn video and still after I posted the information people are still saying "ohhh its a spaceship from Stargate".

Again, I agree with the OP, this forum needs more active MODs I think.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
reply to post by zaiger

Ya know.. I have never seen an 'I'm an Alien" thread. But I've only been here a lil over a month. That would be neat to see someone who actually believes he's an alien.

Lol hang around you'll see one.

But the "Im a secret agent" claims are usually insults hurled towards those in the "Im an Alien" threads...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

Does anyone really take the "I'm an alien" threads seriously? If so, maybe the government should open up FEMA camps and throw them in there

Anywho, it's a conspiracy theory website. Not everything on here is fact. Actually, the threads we see on the front page 99% of the time aren't even accurate or factual information/news. They just consist of theories, paranoia and disinformation. But hey, that's what makes ATS fun, right?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

Like, OMG, seriously, they're called Al'kesh!!

Like, you know...

i think its bed time... Oo

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Okay I honestly thought when I saw this thread title the post would start with '..IN THE NAME OF LOVE, BEFORE YOU BREAK MY HEART'. But it didnt, gutted.

But yes anyway, I agree in part with the OP. But I do enjoy the crazies on ATS. You can usually tell from the thread title or the first few posts whether there's going to be much intelligent discussion going on. And if you dont think there is then its easy to either click ignore on someone, or just move along to a different thread.

Originally posted by zaiger
www.abovetopsecret.com...
There is a good one and any thread done by this guy is always good for a laugh. I took his avatar just for lulz when he got B&
www.abovetopsecret.com...
he thought he was a commander of the "ashtar command" I do not remember what thread it was but i told him i was dictator and demoted him it was pretty funny. But he did not think so.
Those threads are usually in the grey area or skunkworks and sometimes the trash bin, but the mods wont let us in that last one.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by zaiger]

Why on earth has this cmdraleon guy been banned? He's brilliant! Just spent the last 20 minutes laughing my head off at his posts. I definately want in on this Ashtar command business.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

Why did I never see that thread?

I'm beginning to see hidden messages though......

"Unexplained deviations in the orbits of Uranus and Neptune point to a large outer solar system body on a highly tilted orbit, beyond 7 billion miles from the sun."

"Heat-emitting object is an unseen collapsed star or possibly a "brown dwarf"

You don't have to be mad to post here......

Peace.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14860d318528.jpg[/atsimg]

What's wrong with time travel? This guy seems trustworthy.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by platoslab

Is that vanilla ice?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
A person that doesn't know who he is or where he truly comes from can only be one thing. A follower. Because it is only the outside information that defines his life.

Don't use your hatred for religion as an excuse to turn a blind eye toward creation itself. Nobody said that God is not provable, but God is being explained much too slowly by science and as long as you think in the 3rd dimension, you will NEVER understand.

You smart people think you're smart, but to me, you're nothing but a bunch of fools looking towards the ground for crumbs of proof.

Come on Ladies and Gents!! Open your eyes, it's right in front of your face!!!!

Or between the eyebrows to be exact.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by platoslab

You'll get paid when we get back

At least pick a decent picture where you don't look like an extra in a terrible 80's pop video.

I'd still go with him though

Peace.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I hate these threads that say "Hey guys, deny ignorance and let us censor anything without evidence". Well, this is a conspiracy site, if you wanted things with evidence go to Live Science, I heard they have lots of those. This is a forum, if people want to speak about weird and far fetched things why should'nt they? Last time I checked we have a lot of skeptics who will be more then happy to debunk the the claims.

It is a Ying-Yang, people make outrageous claims; they could either back them up or the skeptics will tear them apart.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I agree, while yes I have seen a rise in ridiculous claims, I have seen an equal rise in complaint threads. Obviously we have the choice to click on something or not, I usually avoid things that sound overly fantastic, or overly negative for that matter. Even the times when I'm duped into clicking on a title, only to be disappointed, I waste what....five seconds of my life? Who cares?!

That IS what makes this site great. I've laughed, cried, and screamed in frustration at the things I have read here. Yet, I keep coming back.

Moral of the story is this; People will never stop making claims, thats what this site is for. If you really are concerned with wasting your time reading something that could be false, I suggest focusing on math where there is little creativity and room for fantasy.

Thank You

-Whitey Dev

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

Originally quoted by WhiteDevil013
If you really are concerned with wasting your time reading something that could be false......

Erm.....do you have me confused with somebody else? I can't remember ever saying anything to that effect.

Thank you please

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join