It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Smithsonian weighs in on the Bosnian Pyramids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids

"Sam Osmanagich claims that 12,000 years ago, early Europeans built "the greatest pyramidal complex" on earth, in Bosnia." - The Smithsonian gives Osmanagich room to defend his theory then allows his critics to rebuke his theory.

Nonetheless, Osmanagich put scores of laborers to work digging on the hills. It was just as the geologists had predicted: the excavations revealed layers of fractured conglomerate at Visocica, while those at Pljesevica uncovered cracked sandstone plates separated by layers of silt and clay. "What he's found isn't even unusual or spectacular from the geological point of view," says geologist Robert Schoch of Boston University, who spent ten days at Visoko that summer. "It's completely straightforward and mundane."

Can't deny though, that Osmanagich is sticking to his guns. He's digging into what he calls ancient tunnels in Visoko linking his pyramids together, which he plans to dig all the way through it's 1.4 mile length. But to me, the guy is losing credibility fast after this comment from one of his former team members (emphasis mine):

"...He (Osmanagich) points out various boulders he says were transported to the site 15,000 years ago, some of which bear carvings he says date back to that time. In an interview with the Bosnian weekly magazine BH Dani, Nadija Nukic, a geologist whom Osmanagich once employed, claimed there was no writing on the boulders when she first saw them. Later, she saw what appeared to her as freshly cut marks. She added that one of the foundation's workers told her he had carved the first letters of his and his children's names. (After the interview was published, Osmanagich posted a denial from the worker on his Web site. Efforts to reach Nukic have been unavailing.)"

Obviously, pulling a Col. Howard Vyse isn't going to win him many converts (then again, it did seem to work for Vyse...)

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Most of his support is due more to Bosnian nationalism than real credibility.
Who wouldn't want their country to be the site of the greatest pyramids ever made? Its easy to see why people cling to his theories through even the most embarrassing episodes.

Also, Osmanagich is nuttier than squirrel poop

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
For a time a few years ago now I went out with a girl from Bosnian. I mentioned the Pyramids to her a few times, as they were in the news at the time, and I really wanted to go an visit. She responded the same way each time... she told me that it was all to do with generating some tourist interest in Bosnia, and nothing more, no one in Bosnia believed there was anything real behind the claims. The guy who 'found' the pyramids was never taken seriously, and they now only give him taciturn support as a matter of national pride, and nothing else.

I really do think there is nothing to see here.

new topics

join