It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow coming to South Texas?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Why can't global warming keep the snow up north where it belongs?

Damn, I have to leave in a while for Alabama and looks like I'll be driving right through this mess.

Should be fun.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Im in Austin TX and it snowed today.
So much for global warming.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Here in Spring, Texas it is not snowing. It's not even raining. It's just real cloudy.

I'm not sure if it snowed while I was asleep or not, though. I read someone say in "north Houston" it was snowing but I'm not sure where you are.

Now weather.com is saying it's a light snow shower here in Spring, but the radar says it's a light rain. Looking out the window I see neither! Apparently no one knows what's going on.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Ah, it just started. It's just real light tiny flurries.

I hope it does more than this because this is pretty lame.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I live ten minutes from the border, and didn't it snow like five years ago?
When you say you live a little north of the border, I assume you mean the rio grande valley, so correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm a native Houstonian but now I live NNW of Houston in Brazos Valley.

Snow started at 10:42 A.M. - no accumulation yet; but, forecasts say we will have accumulation in a few hours.

News mentioned Houston has only had snow 34 times in it's records. I don't know where the record is though.

These are the Houston ones I remember which accumulated:

I remember a Houston snow in the 60's.

There was another one (or two?) somewhere between 73-75 I missed.

There were 2 more in the late 70's or about 1978 or so and either 1979 or 1980.

There was one on 21 December somewhere around 1986-1989 and the snow in the shade was still there on Christmas Day! - There's a children's public school Christmas presentation song that mentions how we will NEVER see snow on Christmas in Houston. That song has been proved wrong twice now.

There was a Christmas eve (midnight) to Christmas Day snow a few years ago that stayed on the ground too!

Last year we (Central Texas) had snow in December as well - and I think Houston got it too. I know Conroe, Tomball, Magnolia and North Houston did.

And then today 4 December 2009.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Light snow mixed with sleet just north of me here in Corpus, about 20 miles north and near Rockport, which is about 30 miles east.
But its to warm still, 38 F, so its melting before it even hits the ground.

Actually, the weather channel just reported that its snowing at NAS Corpus and I live about 7 miles from there but I see nothing...

[edit on 12/4/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I sacrificed my gas for the sake of some on-site reporting for ATS.

When I left my house in Spring there was just real light snow falling.

I took I-45 South and it was just a light snow until about FM 1960. Between FM 1960 and Beltway 8 it was a moderate to heavy snowfall.

I stayed on I-45 until I reached Gulf Bank Rd. Between there and Beltway 8 it was just a light to moderate snowfall.

The main areas of accumulation along I-45 are between Richey Rd. and Beltway 8. It was just a light dusting to possibly a quarter of an inch in most areas.

At it's heaviest, visibility was less than a half mile. Traffic was moving at a steady but slow pace. Everyone was going about 35-40 mph on I-45.

The roads are only wet for now, but if temperatures continue to drop, it may become pretty slick out there.

I drove around for a little bit around Beltway 8 before heading back home. On my way back home the snow had tapered off everywhere, but was still coming down pretty good in that area.

I took some pictures while I was at the Greenspoint Mall area. Here they are:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba9572e1205e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ecc1c4150691.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76ba0e742123.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1c7ca195966.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fac9d77808f4.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Well, any chance of snow is over now for me. The clouds have parted and the sun is shining bright.

The most that happened was VERY LIGHT sleet that fell for maybe 2-3 minutes but was gone by the time you stuck your hand out trying to feel it.

I'm pretty bummed after looking forward to this for a couple of days.

reply to post by keeblerelf

I live between San Antonio and Laredo, in a small town south of San Antonio and north east of the border.

All of you who keep telling me you just got snow a few years back and asking me how it's possible I didn't are depressing me. lol

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Here's a couple more pictures at my house:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/69252614cf64.jpg[/atsimg]

Picture of my back yard with the snow coming down.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/820b8b3f9c29.jpg[/atsimg]

Picture of the palm tree in my front yard with snow coming down. I'm not sure the tree is liking this too much.

These pictures were taken just a few minutes ago. It doesn't look like it's coming down all that much but it was actually coming down at a moderate rate. It's just hard to see with the low quality pictures.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Your tree well be okay I was in San Diego back when they had their once in a hundred year snow fall. That was the same year I saw a waterspout (Tornado over water) just north of La Jolla Calif

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well, the snow has ended in Houston. In Sugar Land, it was a very wet, heavy snow. All of it occurred while the temperature was 34F or warmer. Because so much of it melted on contact, it looks like only a light dusting. But it was allot of precipitation.

With everything now good and wet, here come the 25F temperatures. I went out tonight to check my mail and swap a redbox movie.

At first it seemed that everyone was driving as if all things were normal. However, I chose to drove like I was back in Fargo, ND. You know what? Not a soul passed me.

I drove 10 mph under the speed limit. I pumped my brakes to a stop. I stopped well behind the white line. I made sure all cars were at a complete stop before I proceeded.

Funny thing; I think my fellow neighbor drivers were watching because I wasn't passed by a single soul.

That or they thought I was drunk. lol

Be careful tomorrow Houston. Lots of things freeze at 25F. In particular, roads.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I tell you what, I spent some time in St. Louis MO, Hyannis MA and Fresno CA. I would not want to be driving in any of those places ever again when there is snow on the ground. Texas, it would be like driving in a death match.

I grew up in the midwest.

1 thing and one thing only to remember, keep your foot off that brake!

You people scare me.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I want it to snow where i live :\

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Man, when the snow was coming down at it's most intense, it was beautifully still as far as the wind goes (at least where I was), so refreshing! One kid actually worked his butt off and made a snowman.

It really sucked when the snow ended.

Peace

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join