It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow coming to South Texas?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I got a little snow night before last, but it was all but gone by mid-morning. Forecast calls for more over the weekend. We usually get a decent winter around here, but nothing like what we got growing up in Amarillo.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Still waiting for snow in Phoenix,lol Only happened once in the 80;s that I remember,lol

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have lived in Michigan for 12 years, and 6 months of each year has been weeks upon weeks of snow and miserable conditions. Now that I live in the Houston area again, I must say that the people taking such interest in this situation is entertaining and also a bit foreign.

Since I am only 17, turning 18 in January, I have spent most of my life (all of my memorable life) in Michigan where it snows every year. I got sick of the snow to tell you the truth. I moved down here to get away from the snow, and now the snow comes back for the second year in a row since I have been here?

It is an omen I tell you!

A white Christmas is all I care about, the rest of winter can be snow free for all I care.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It got close more recently than 1985.

In the winter of 2006-2007, I had picked up a load in OK heading for Oakland CA. I called a friend of mine who was out west and asked about the weather. He told me to head south and take I20/I10 out because I40 was closed.

I did, but just as I hit OK City and turned, it was already snowing. It cleared out before I hit TX, so I stopped just north of Fort Worth for my mandatory break. When I woke up, the snow had caught up to me.

I managed to make it to Midland TX before the roads became too bad to travel (pulled over earlier a few times, but things eased up after an hour or two). After waiting it out for a day and a half, I finished the load and headed back, again across I10. I stopped in Van horn for another break.

I woke up the next morning to more snow! The parking lot was covered with a solid inch... in Van Horn TX! Yeah, not much for most, but the whole town had closed down over it.

Apparently it didn't make it to San Antonio or Houston, but I just thought I would let you guys know: it got close!

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Once of the craziest, irrational, mind boggling events in the world is watchin Texans drive in ice. Whoooo Weeee. It's laughable. Here in the hill country it's about a once a year spectacle.

Having grown up there I've seen it a few times.

Enjoy it and as advised stay of the roads.

Go out in the pasture and do frozen donuts, you can really feel the G's.

85 was as cold as a witch's t*t . All of our ponds froze. It's the only time that's ever happened.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by wylee]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
This is comedy. Pure comedy.

Schools are CLOSING over this! Jesus...

Bushido Kanji is my brother, and I too lived in Michigan for 12 years, so him and I share the same view of everyone's reactions to this.

In Michigan, it would take snowfall of about 8-12 inches to receive any sort of coverage on the news outside of the weather forecast. Here, the possibility of maybe a couple of inches sends the whole city reeling and causes news broadcasts to dedicate their whole time to the story.

I sort of understand that snow is a foreign concept to you people and it can be exciting when you rarely ever see it, but there's a limit! An inch or two of snow is no more dangerous here than it is in norther states, and you don't see them closing schools and businesses because of it. So why?

I'm so glad I don't have to work in the morning. I'd probably have to leave right about now in order to get there on time because of everyone doing 50 mph under the speed limit on the freeway.

Houston traffic is bad enough on dry roads. Throw in some slush...God help us.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

it IS more dangerous here then in northern states.

"us people" don't know how to drive with ice on the roads. we don't have the equipment for it, let alone the know how and practice.

closing schools, despite it sounding silly to you looks to save lives more then anything i think. Houston drivers already drive like they are the only ones on the road...add ice and inexperienced drivers...no sir.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
its kinda cool to see the avatars of those us here in TX. that i recognize from other threads...

Any ways i'm originally from CO. my sister sent me a picutre message of the snow they got there, i usually can tell what the weather is gonna be like with a quick look at the doppler and an up date from CO. with all the hype i've been hearing here central TX, it better snow, doubt it'll stick though...

however, one thing i can say about the weather (with no disrespect) is that the weather man (or woman) can only be 100% about yesterdays weather...

i just hope people can drive with caution to aviod massive pile ups or accidents, cause snow can lead to ice real quick, for those who continue to read the thread be safe while driving...

cheers...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Hmm, where were you people in 2004? It snowed ALL over Texas, Victoria got about a foot of snow and where I live (Corpus Christi) received 4-6 inches.
It was the first and probably ONLY white Christmas that I will ever have in Texas.

Also, what makes the snow a bit more dangerous down here is that the temps usually hover just below or at the freezing mark, this makes the snow melt, freeze on the road, then more snow covers it.
So you have a one inch layer of slick ice on the roads, covered up by the snow.
When you see the people skidding off the roads on the news, its usually because of ice, not just the snow.

[edit on 12/4/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I live in Sugar Land and as I type, it is snowing. It's not sticking because it's about 40F but it's a moderate snow fall. This could be a very long day.

Stay tuned world. This is a very unusual event for the Houston area.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Genfinity

Yep, it's official, it's snowing here at work and the ground is definitely too warm for it to stick. Just driving into work I could see other drivers gripping the steering wheel so tight you'd think they were about to tear it off.

Guess I'll leave work early today and try to beat the further drop in temperature.

Peace

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I hate you all.

What do I have to do down here to get some snow!?!

Its' FREEZING (low 30's, expected to drop to the 20's) and humid/cloudy/drizzly. Therefore, water + freeze = snow. But nothing.

This is SO UNFAIR but I hope it answers the questions for everyone asking where some of us were in 2004. Apparently where I live! I'm in the Texas pocket doomed to never see squat.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

~snip~
Houston drivers already drive like they are the only ones on the road...add ice and inexperienced drivers...no sir.

Hey! I resemble that remark.. hehe... You have to admit though.. it does seem a little silly at this point but if it really starts to come down then the closings will be justified. Should be an interesting day.

Y'all stay warm!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Anamnesis

ha...i resemble that remark too. only we can make fun of our driving.

but hey..if i was still a kid i'd love this "snow" day...especially after the lack of closing during hurricane season

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Genfinity

Snows here in Albuquerque yesterday... just a light dusting...
right now there getting a pretty good snow fall in Clovis Down in Hobbs and into Midland Odessa...
Further east there's a big band of snow streaching up from big bend all the way to Dallas... here in a few Huston should start to see freezing rain.
Radar Map

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I heard from a friend in ABQ that it was really cold there this morning... 13 degrees she said. Brrr... but it's a dry cold eh? Stay Warm!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It's snowing here in Houston right now.

Supposed to snow a lot more around 1 or 2.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Yup just saw the first couple of snow flakes here in north Houston. It's always exiting to see snow for me, I'm to young for the '85 snow (1yr) and in 2004 I didn't have my glasses yet so I didn't enjoy it as much.

I'm gonna work Valet Parking tonight so hopefully its snowing then. That way I'll see a lot of it. lol Although it might get a bit cold.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anamnesis
reply to post by DaddyBare

I heard from a friend in ABQ that it was really cold there this morning... 13 degrees she said. Brrr... but it's a dry cold eh? Stay Warm!

tup its still very cold here in Alb... its just a litttle after 9 and so far were all the way upto 17 degrees... thankfuly the sun is out and no wind... otherwise it would be a bad day, but this isnt to bad

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It's 36F in Sugar Land (32F is freezing) and I hear on the weather channel that 30 local school districts are now considering early dismissal.

What a mess the school districts have created by not being pro-active. Pitiful.

Stay tuned Houston. Is it still early in the day and it's only going to get worse.

If you have to drive home from work on the freeway, leave now. A one hour trip home could easily be 2-3 hours today.

Trust me, I spent 4 years in the Fargo ND/Moorhead MN area. On a number of winter days, I drove 15mph on 55mph roads. If you don't want to crash, you'll do the same. But will everyone around you?

Don't pretend you have something to prove. You'll look pretty stupid all smashed up in the ditch with your 4 wheel drive SUV. I've seen it many, many, many times.

Even you drive by someone who looks like they need help, don't stop. Just figure out were they are and call 911.

You could lose control while trying to stop. And if you do manage to stop safely, you only create a bigger target for some idiot flying down the road.

You have nothing to prove. Prove you have common sense and use it. Your insurance company will appreciate it and so will your 2010 premiums.

Edit to add: HUGE FLAKES

[edit on 12/4/2009 by Genfinity]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join