It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow coming to South Texas?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Snow and winter like conditions are predicted for Houston from about Friday at noon until about Saturday at 9am central time US.

I am starting this thread just to help everyone keep an eye on the situation.

If you want to talk about global warming, Al Gore, Obama, or the anti side there of, please start a separate thread.

Is thread is intended to be for the discussion of weather minus the global warming argument or counter arguement.

Thanks

(Edit to change the thread title from Houston Texas to South Texas)

[edit on 12/3/2009 by Genfinity]

[edit on 12/3/2009 by Genfinity]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I don't live near Houston but I do live in South Texas, slightly north of the border. The last big snow was in 1985 (and that was in central Texas). This southern part hasn't seen a large snowfall in decades but we're expecting it tomorrow. I'm very excited!

Last time I experienced a big snow fall was when I went up north to attend university so as pathetic as getting excited about this as some may feel who get snow every year, this is extraordinary for us.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I live in San Antonio, and they say 70% chance here! It blows my mind, I was barely old enough to remember the 85 snow, and am excited at the chace for another! My question is what are the odds of having the hottest (most 100 degree days) summer on record followed by the first real snow in 20+ years?

-E-

[edit on 3-12-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Snow in Houston will be fun. Hope it sticks. Haven’t seen that in a while.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm here and waiting. It's snowed three times I can remember since I was in the fifth grade, and that was still in the disco era. It probably won't stick, but it's still amazing when you see snow here.

Maybe the polar bears will start swimming here too.

Peace

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Huh... I'm in H-Town. The last snowfall of any signifigance was Christmas eve 2004... blanketed the entire Tx. Gulf Coast. I've lived here for over 40 years and we normally have snow during the El Nino years due to the increase in precipitation coming from the S. West. It's nothing unusual.

Christmas eve 2004
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb5b99cc9b5b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5608cef1f4e7.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Anamnesis]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm in Nacogdoches, and we have the same predictions.

have family in houston that aren't going to be sure what to do with all that snow.

im excited...nothing like snow to bring out the kid in people.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
That is cool. Seems like from the weather reports that you folks in San Antonio and possibly Houston will get more winter weather out of this system than us up here in Dallas.

I posted a thread back in mid-October re: the weather this winter...this lends confirmation that the climate models presented in my post are accurate.

El Nino rocks!

BTW, here is a link to that thread if anyone is interested.

A moderately different winter...

EDIT: here are the weather maps that indicate likelihood of weather variations across the US this winter.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
how odd, we have had a huge lack of snow here the last few years, especially this year it seems like.

but thats just the part of alaska i am in, other parts are getting large amounts as usual.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I hope it doesn't stick for the sake of all you Texans. I used to live in Charlotte NC, a land that does not get much snow. When it snowed and actually accumulated it was a disaster. Back then the city had virtually no equipment to handle the mess and I would see snow plows attached to garbage trucks.

Everyone there had bald tires and virtually no knowledge of how to drive in the snow. I stayed off the road to avoid the other drivers. I even grew up and learned how to drive in the Cleveland snow. I'm glad to be back in Ohio

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I live in New England and the weather here has been oddly warm. No snow yet. 65 today, 69 tomorrow. Maybe it's time to buy some snow shovels Texas. I'm tired of dealing with the snow.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

It probably won't be enough to accumulate before melting, but you're right about the folks here. We don't know much about driving with ice on the road. Luckily, snow & ice doesn't last long on the ground here.
The traffic on Fridays isn't too bad either, lots of people either have every other Fri. off or don't work Fri. at all! Must be nice! hehe...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Anamnesis

Like I said above, I am NOT in the Houston area. lol Nowhere near it. So whatever snow fall you received in 2004 is not what we received. I'm closer to SA but south. The biggest/recent snowfall for the San Antonio area is the one MisterE mentions in 1985. I was five years old. lol

The big snow that may possibly fall tomorrow is supposed to be so big it will cover Houston and San Antonio (hours apart from each other). So that may be what is confusing you. The OP mentions Houston but we're hearing about it all the way over here, too, because it's supposed to affect us as well.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Advice for driving on wintery roads:

1. Don't
2. Drive slower
3. Don't tail gate. And don't drive beside people.
4. Beware of bridges (over and under), declines, and inclines.
5. If you lose traction and there is snow nearby, try to veer toward the snow gently.
6. Make sure your auto insurance is paid up.
7. Don't drive around blocked off roads.
8. If common sense says don't, don't.
9. If you let your kids play in the winter weather, bundle them up yankee style. Check on them every 15 to 30 minutes.
10. If your kids teeth start to chatter, get them inside immediately.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Hey Ashley... didn't mean to offend. I was just responding to the part about S. Tx. not getting any snow in decades. I'm pretty sure I'm in S. Tx.

Stay Cool!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Genfinity

I spent 7 months in Philadelphia during a brutal winter and pissed off so many people with my lack of driving on ice skills, I'm surprised I didn't come home in a body bag.

I literally needed three hundred yards to come to a complete stop.

Peace

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Anamnesis

No way. You didn't offend me. I'm more jealous than anything.

And to me, Houston is more 'East Texas' but you're right, too, in that it is still south. But by south Texas I generally mean South Central like San Antonio and further down.

ANYWAYS... We're getting snow so, Yay! lol

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

YAY!!!

2nd line

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I am from Kemah/Clear Lake area, which is between southern Houston and Galveston. I have seen some people from the Houston area talking like they have not seen snow in years. Last year here in Kemah we had over 4 inches of snow. It was that deep in Beaumont/ Western Louisiana also (family and friends live there). Did some parts of the Houston area not get snow last year?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tmleleaux

It's possible. For instance, just 45 minutes or so west of us, the Texas hill country gets oodles of snow every year. We get nada. lol When I lived in San Antonio before becoming an adult, some of my friends who literally lived 20 minutes away (I lived right on the edge of the hill country while they lived inside of it) would get snow at their house and I would not.

en.wikipedia.org...

In the first part of that article, it mentions the edges sometimes extend to the northern suburbs of San Antonio. That is where I lived with no luck of snow. Classmates and friends further in would get it. No fair. lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join