It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you leave the US?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
With all the impending doom and gloom in the US...would you leave to another country if you were given the means to do so?
Or... would you stay?

I'm not looking for any right or wrong answers.....just wondering what other people would do. This question is always on my mind.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
i would leave whether there were a crisis here in the states or not, if i had the means...

but if it does get to the point so many think it will, it will be even harder to leave and its near impossible for most as it is now.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think that if given the means to do so. Definite housing, employment, and low cost or no cost to make the move i would go to another country.

there are problems though with that train of though, to many family members would be here to make if possible. Now if i were single and had no family it would be a definite that i would already be someplace else.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I already left. To Iceland. There was a major financial crash here though, but still its better. No war and doom.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Means to do so would be important, but for me it would be also a question of whether such a place existed that I would feel safe.

Currently, with my world knowledge and studies in geography (I'm a masters student in the field) I can't say that. The US isn't safe, but compared to the world there is little difference. Sure you could find isolated pockets that exist now, but these are likely to become both targets for refugees and tyranny should really bad things hit the fan.

For now I just keep a plan in my head and silently stock up on supplies to escape the major cities and head for the deep country without being tracked electronically so I can at least stand a better chance of being safe should that happen.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Yes! This isnt the same country it used to be. My 2 year old son already has debt equivalent to 30k due to national debt. We are fighting pointless wars, that have no true chance of winning, and even if we do "win" at what cost? 300billion a year? I dont want to wait around 16 more years so my son can be drafted into a war that I would refuse to fight myself. Our foreign policies seem self destructive, and "change" doesnt not appear to be happening for the good. I am not really sure where I would go, but the U.S. isnt the place it used to be. I think the U.S. is still a great nation, but I hate when people assume you are an ignorant war mongering American, because of our current state of affairs....Maybe Australia, or the Bahamas.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by AKARonco]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by blue_fish

If I still lived in America, I would stay. One reason being that, even if you have all that you "need" in the foreign land, it's still difficult to adjust. It is very draining psychologically too when you don't speak the language well. Sometimes, you just feel like you should find a volleyball and name it Wilson. Even if you do speak the language, you're still foreign. Things are just done differently and it takes some getting used to, if you get used to certain things at all. Realisticly, to most governments around the world, even if you have everything lined up, you're still going to have to go through the same immigration process as any other immigrant. You're not going to be special because you're an American, with a job lined up, and a house to live in. This process usually consists of taking a language/orientation class, which can last some time.

A second reason, in the hypothetical situation, is that I would feel like dirt leaving my family behind. It would drive me nuts knowing that things were really tough for them while I was on the other end of the world. (This is assuming of course that if something happened in the States that the rest of the world would be unscathed.) The way that things are now, I worry constantly for my family back in America. If something were to happen, I wouldn't be able to get in touch with them right away; and that would be tough.

In the end, life in another country isn't always peaches and cream. By the time you got settled down and adjusted, things would be "normal" back home, most likely, so a move probably wouldn't be worth it.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Already left for Amsterdam. Job transfer. In five years family and I can become citizens. The kids love it. Don't plan on coming back.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Well in this old ladys opinion, it doesnt matter where you are, what matters is who you are and what you are about. I have never even seen most of america so why leave it? My big "get out" is going to the grocery store. I think all of humanity is the same in every part of the world. Good, bad, indifferent. You own personal soul is all that matters in the end. Your zip code is just a minor conveinence. Your perception of your reality is /or may be a problem. Where ever you go, don't forget to stop and smell the roses. If you have ever been loved.... you have had the best of everything anyway. Hugs, Magantice

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Running away solves nothing. With the means, maybe a REALLY LONG VACATION -- but i would never give up my US citizenship. Besides, most of the other countries in the world are so intertwined with the US that if the United States collapses you would still be affected.

This country is great. Americans as a whole are great. We seem to have simply lost our way and I for one would like to be a part of restoring it to what it can be.

Now is not the time to jump ship. Now is the time to dig our heels in and make the change we thought we were getting but aren't.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I won't leave...I think most of the doom and gloom is a crock IMO...I don't see a police state, I don't see RFID chips in my arm, I don't see my gun taken away...blah blah blah

Yes we are in a war I disagree with...America isn't perfect but I will stay

Alot of this doom and gloom is paranoia IMO

-Kyo

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Hell no I won't go.

This is my country and I will not leave it.

I've worked in many other countries and The United States of America is the best I've seen.

I would say to those that want to leave to either put your heart in The USA or get your butt out. There are many people all over the world that would gladly take your place.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Leave? they wouldn't even let me in if I tried

Lines, that's all I have to say about that

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Yeah, you have some good points there, but I honestly don't want to be in a situation where I am forced to move on the last minute or be hauled away to some Fema camp. Plus..our U S currency isn't completely worthless yet...so wouldn't it be better to plan a move now..instead of waiting?
I would want my family to move with me, but if they couldn't...I'm not sure what I would Do. I guess we could all die together.

There's gotta be some light at the end of the tunnel.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Magantice

Thanks. I really believe that too. I guess Fear is getting the best of me..and it gets worse when you have children.
No one really know our future here, but like you stated...where ever you are..stop and smell the roses.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
im not going anywhere. just because i dont like the people who run this country doesnt mean i dont love america. its too easy to run away from problems. stay here tough it out. but everybody who does leave i dont want to see you come back when things get better.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I also have a son and grandchildren. Like you I have my worries and nightmares. Everyting from solar flares, dwarf stars hitting earth, Niburu, whos REALLY running things, plagues, vaccines, chips, fema camps, civil war, poverty etc. If you think about it you will go nuts. Enjoy each day and every smile with your children. Tommorrow is promised to no one but hey! Today is yours!!!!!! Live it.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What is wrong with you people! Why would you move to another country when most people here were born in the States?! Isn't fighting for our freedom worth it anymore? Its crap like this that makes Washington spit in his grave. I for one will not move eventhough I have family in mexico. I was born in California and thats where ill probably be buried when im no longer breathing. I have written a thread that is somewhat related to what im talking about here. Cowards die a 1000 deaths but a brave man lives forever so who's with me?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
America has a helluva lot of unpopulated land and wilderness. If someone wanted to get away from all the perceived wrongs regarding modern society or their government...just build a little cabin and live in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, im not very nationalistic to begin with so moving to another country if i had the resources doesn't bother me at all.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

No matter how much doom and gloom there is in the United States, I wouldn't leave. Right now, it is merely speculation and pretty much anyone's guess as to what is truly going on. I think once things actually start happening, if it does turn out to be true, then that is when you will see mass emigrations out of the US; however, you still would not see me among those people.

Now, I am not really a patriot - the definition of which being tossed around like a beach ball and I am not really keen on what a true patriot would be like - and I am not against the United States. I am not in favor of the US Government and its policies, thanks to ATS
but I love the country of which it governs. It is the only place I know.

I couldn't simply just pack up and move, it would be too hard for me to adjust seeing as how I only know English fluently and the UK and Australia aren't really ideal places to live for me.

I will consider a contingency plan lest I be forced from my home and deported for any number of reasons. The UK would be my first choice, but other than that I would try to make it here in the States.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join