It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian 'spy coins' prompted questions in U.S. about northern neighbour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Canadian 'spy coins' prompted questions in U.S. about northern neighbour

news.ca.msn.com

WASHINGTON - How much does the U.S. government really trust Canada? Maybe less than you think.

Espionage warnings from the Defence Department caused an international sensation a few years ago over reports of mysterious coins with radio frequency transmitters, until they were debunked.

The culprit turned out to be a commemorative quarter in Canada. But at the height of the mystery, senior Pentagon officials speculated whether Canadians were involved in the spy caper.

"I don't think it is an isIn sensational warnings that circulated publicly in late 2006 and early 2007, the Pentagon'
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.ca.msn.com

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I don't know about you guys, but I find this story absolutely hilarious. The Pentagon actually thought the Remembrance Day "Poppy" quarter was a radio frequency device that was being used for the purpose of espionage.

Thankfully, reason prevailed and this "theory" was debunked. No Canadian conspiracy here folks.

What suspicious contractors believed to be "nanotechnology" on the coins actually was a protective coating the Royal Canadian Mint applied to prevent the poppy's red colour from rubbing off. The mint produced nearly 30 million such quarters in 2004 commemorating Canada's 117,000 war dead.

One email included a curious message on the same day the Defence Security Service publicly disavowed its warning about the spy coins.

"I am guessing y'all know the status of the Canadian coin situation," it read. It called for an internal meeting "to chat about the next step to put Humpty together again" and suggested notifying the media - and the Canadians.

Watch out for Canadian Big Brother, he's gonna getcha!

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-12-2009 by kommunist]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I remember this, funny as hell.

It's a wonder how the US still exists today with such morons in power.

No wait....it's a wonder how this rock continues to rotate around the sun with such morons walking on her.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DazE777

I've never heard of this before.

My first reaction was:

Dude...you can't be serious...Really???

Maybe the Pentagon have lower their hiring standards... or something.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by kommunist

Do you live in Canada?

It did make the news. But very briefly.

It was down played and laugh at by most, so it didn't get much attention. If anything news coverage just made these guys look like morons.

Not like they needed any help.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kommunist
What suspicious contractors believed to be "nanotechnology" on the coins actually was a protective coating the Royal Canadian Mint applied to prevent the poppy's red colour from rubbing off. The mint produced nearly 30 million such quarters in 2004 commemorating Canada's 117,000 war dead.

That's our story, and we're sticking to it.

And never mind the bumph about addictive substances in a Horton's double-double, either.

Would we do that?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You're right OP it is hilarious! Still, if you discount the ignorance about nanotechnology, it is a least physically possible to make a "spy coin".
There's quite a lot of things people believe on this website that are impossible tho.
But Canada? Hmm... A Canadian mate told me they refer to their armed forces as "formed arses"! I just somehow cannot see Canada spending the kind of money necessary to develope something like that.
Now the USA...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Isn't that awesome. I got a gigantic laugh about that.

And the idea that Canadian institutions/bureaucrats/secret service might have set up the whole bit is equally hilarious.

Not because it isn't possible they could. But you'd have to have a REASON.

And as far as I know, Rick Mercer isn't yet running CSIS.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
And as far as I know, Rick Mercer isn't yet running CSIS.

May as well be...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Lol, and to think the Governments of this world consider the ATS'ers to be the crazy ones. Yet the US defense chiefs were freaking out over some protective coating.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
And never mind the bumph about addictive substances in a Horton's double-double, either.

Would we do that?

haha, maybe not the double-doubles but I swear they put crack in triple-triples

I say bring it, US. Our winters alone will drive them away

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Why would Canada need to spy on the US. They can just watch TV.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Hahahaha LOL!

You guys thought the quarters with the red poppies on them had nanotechnology embedded in them to track their whereabouts?

Thats the funniest thing I've heard in a long time, I have to send this to all my friends!

I have like 6 of those in my pocket right now. They aren't even the first coins to have colour added to them, why didn't you notice the other ones?

Oh America
My sides hurt.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I was really concerned about the chinese furbies!
This just seems lame.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
So it’s true then Canada has been spying on us. I knew we should have just cleared the whole place out in 1812!

This really makes me wonder just what else the Mexicans are doing while trimming our hedges and mowing our laws??????

Actually Americans are probably the most spied on people in the world, not only does our own government spy on us, almost everyone else’s government spies on us too, and even some independent organizations and groups.

The sad part is Americans are cheated out of all these entertainment royalties. We play to a full house day after day, year after year, and don’t get a plug nickel for our efforts.

Clearly we need a better union, sadly it would spy on us too!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Canada already has a means by which to spy on everyone and it's called beaver.

The Canadian beaver is by far the most top secret and classified, biologically engineered super spy that any nation on this Earth has ever manufactured.

Laugh now, think I'm talking crazy... but our beavers here in Canada are uber elite. They are spying on you right now, using remote viewing. Be afraid.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Who told you about Project Tail Slap!?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
So it’s true then Canada has been spying on us. I knew we should have just cleared the whole place out in 1812!

y'all tried. y'all weren't tough nor smart enough.
but, that was a long time ago.
you know those quarters will be collectors items, yeah? hang onto them, american friends! we're NOT USING THEM TO SPY ON YOU!!
WE'RE NOT USING THEM TO SPY ON YOU!!

-sled dog 3

(sled dog 2, prepare the snow launcher for immediate use. there may be a problem with R, W, & B enemy combatant "PPT")

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
Canada already has a means by which to spy on everyone and it's called beaver.

The Canadian beaver is by far the most top secret and classified, biologically engineered super spy that any nation on this Earth has ever manufactured.

yes, but who watches the beavers themselves!!!? SO dangerous north of the border. trust no one! not even a beaver with a nice tail.

top topics

join