It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Time of Gentiles Is Over

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

The Time of Gentiles Is Over

The Dispensationalists were correct. Of course not in any way they will recognize. The times have changed. We are now no longer in the time of the Gentiles. The words and phrases which once held power have been stripped of meaning, their power is broken. The 'rapture' has occurred, and we are all left behind. What has been taken is the Christian Phrase Book, taken back by God and unto God.

The greatest barrier between the Tribe of Judah and their King, the Messiah, during this last age has been the existence of Christianity in its European-American form with it's nonsensical Trinity, inerrancy of scripture, and Son of God (with any meaning other than the true son of David meaning). 'When the Law is read every Sabbath a veil covers ...' The veil is the Semitic cultural language, imagery and historical identity appropriate to Israel, adopted and distorted in European Christian prism and bounced back as 'the truth' to Israel. The time has come for this to cease. The time has come for Christians to quit trying to convert anyone. The time has come for false gods of trinity to be cast down.

Henceforth, the familiar European-American phrases eg 'God the Son', 'the blood of Jesus', 'he died so that...' have no meaning. The use of these phrases will be the hollow following of empty ritual. The reality is gone. God is not in them.

This is what happened: For the first time, the Koran has authorized translations into other languages. The King Fahd version, with an indexing method that will be adopted universally as the standard. In the same way that Old and New Testaments have standard indexing, now the Koran has it. As any conversation between people could include searchable references to the Bible, so now they can include searchable references to the Koran. This will cause as great a cultural revolution in the world as the translation and printing of Bibles was in Europe in the 15th and 16th centuries.

No longer will it be said, "I know a guy, who heard a guy say that the Koran says..." Now it will be said, "As stated in v.2:2-4, ..."

During this last age, of the Gentiles, God used Christians to distribute throughout the world the Bible of Old and New Testaments, containing the Law, the Prophets, the history, and the words of Jesus the Messiah. That work is done. The time has come for Christians to abandon false gods and worship the One Creator. The time has come for Christians to abandon all sense of superiority over others. The time has come for Christians to recognize their proper place as beneficiaries of the promises given to Abraham. We are blessed in him. We do not have anything to add to Abraham.

7:01 AM 12/3/2009

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Athanasius was a bishop in North Africa, Alexandria, to be specific. That was a cosmopolitan city, being a sea port and all. But in a way, it was isolated, at least by land. So, theoretically, a port master could sit up in his high tower and see who came out and in to the city, and if he wanted to, could stop anyone, if there was some sort of reason.
So in a way, Athanasius was the religious ruler of his own little world, and took the job seriously. We have the books that are in the New Testament that are the ones that he went around to all the churches and insisted they had on their official list of Bible books. He also came up with his own version of the Trinity that we have today as the "official" version. A version that makes the little kingdom of Athanasius permanent. We need to break free of that kingdom on earth and have a theology of us getting out and leaving this world in the dust. We need a king who is not of this world and a God who needs no world whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Athanasius was the religious ruler of his own little world, and took the job seriously. We have the books that are in the New Testament that are the ones that he went around to all the churches and insisted they had on their official list of Bible books. He also came up with his own version of the Trinity that we have today as the "official" version. A version that makes the little kingdom of Athanasius permanent.

What years are those in relation: Athanasius to final adoption of canon?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by pthena

That was one of the interesting facts that I got from "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart D. Ehrman. I'm not sure what list he was going off of, but what I think is important is that Athanasius was maybe the first person to attempt to enforce what was a canon in his own mind. That same way of thinking is what gave us the enforceable canon of the Trinity. The idea I was getting at was that humans were not allowed to look at religion as a transient thing that could be adapted for current circumstances, but had to be made a permanent, written in stone sort of thing, as if the world created by these ideas was supposed to last forever.
Abraham lived in a world built to last forever and chose to leave it, and to live in a tent and as a nomad. The monuments to God that he built had no living facilities for a permanent dwelling place for a perpetual priesthood. The priesthood was of the believer and he could make use of existing places of worship, or make one himself, to facilitate his current habitation.
God made a man His habitation and forsook the building of stone. That man had no place to lay his head and even a tomb carved from the living stone could not hold him.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by jmdewey60]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Scholars have debated whether Athanasius' list in 367 was the basis for the later lists. Because Athanasius' canon is the closest canon of any of the Church Fathers to the canon used by Protestant churches today, many Protestants point to Athanasius as the father of the canon. They are identical except that Athanasius includes the Book of Baruch and the Letter of Jeremiah and places the Book of Esther among the "7 books not in the canon but to be read" along with the Wisdom of Solomon, Sirach (Ecclesiasticus), Judith, Tobit, the Didache, and the Shepherd of Hermas

The canon seems to have been being set in Rome and by Athanasius at about the same time. Athanasius seems to be one of the hardest working crusaders for a unified orthodoxy within Christendom. He spent much time exiled, for the violence used at times.
His teaching did prevail though and became the orthodoxy of Christendom. The word Christendom seems to imply dominion from the root '-dom'. Is it consistent with the kingdom of God taught by Jesus to have empires and orthodoxies in union attempting to hold dominion over the earth?

The idea I was getting at was that humans were not allowed to look at religion as a transient thing that could be adapted for current circumstances, but had to be made a permanent, written in stone sort of thing, as if the world created by these ideas was supposed to last forever.

Idolatry isn't only a matter of statues or figurines, it can apply to creeds, empires, cities, books, and vocabularies. There's a verse I came across:

MT 23:21 And he who swears by the temple swears by it and by the one who dwells in it. 22 And he who swears by heaven swears by God's throne and by the one who sits on it.

If God is on His heaven throne, then who's in the temple?
Idolatry is man's attempt at permanence in a transient world.

What is it that certain radical Zionists hope to achieve by ethnically cleansing a certain piece of land? What benefit would there be in a new temple? Who would even be authorized to build it? Will Solomon return to build it? Will Jesus return to build it? What is the use of a stone temple anyway?

[2.177] Righteousness is not whether you
face towards the east or the west. But
righteousness is to believe in Allah and the
Last Day, in the angels and the Book, and the
Prophets, and to give wealth however
cherished, to kinsmen, to the orphans, to the
needy, to the destitute traveler, and to the
beggars, and to ransom the slave; who
establish their prayers and pay the obligatory
charity; who are true to their promise when
they have promised. Who are patient in
misfortune and hardship and during the time
of courage. Such are the truthful; such are the
cautious.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by pthena]

[edit on 4-12-2009 by pthena]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

I was reading on google books, Echoes of Eden, and the author was talking in pages 65 and 66 about myth and how it is used to explain ordinary things but in an "otherworldly" way, that includes God and other divine beings. He goes into the concept of a material temple compared to a heavenly palace, as in a dwelling of God. To simplify it a little, a temple would be spoken of as if it was the heavenly palace, though nothing was really going on like that in the temple itself, but was really going on in the heavenly place.
Solomon describes something happening in the temple, where the priests flee in the face of a cloud of smoke, while John in Revelation describes the same scene but he places it properly and actually more literally, in the temple in heaven.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God
REV 21:22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.

If this is to be the end we look forward to, why not act now as if it were?
Solomon spoke of praying toward the temple so that God would hear in heaven.(1 Kings 8)

Jesus taught his disciples to pray directly to the Father in heaven, even while the temple still stood. I guess Jesus is greater than Solomon.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

In order to maintain a permanent professional-class priestly order, there are a few necessary things that they have to promote.
Scribes are probably of supreme importance, for all sorts of things that would made their usefulness quite evident.
A permanent, immovable, and visually appealing structure to house the priesthood would serve themselves as it seems also to serve the worshippers. Impregnable defenses will protect the inhabitants from rival priesthoods.
A specific god who is known to the priesthood by name.
God wanting to be only worshipped in one specific locality, which conveniently happens to be where the priests live.
Sacrifice, so the priests will be well fed.
The priest/scribes writing a history of the people that makes it clear that the land prospers when their patron god is worshipped exclusively.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by jmdewey60]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'm guessing this is from 'Echoes of Eden'. Sounds exactly like the world of I&II Kings and I&II Chronicles. There was also a professional-semi-professional order of prophets, who advised the king and also would instruct the people.

1KI 22:6 So the king of Israel brought together the prophets--about four hundred men--and asked them, "Shall I go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain?"
"Go," they answered, "for the Lord will give it into the king's hand."

1KI 22:7 But Jehoshaphat asked, "Is there not a prophet of the LORD here whom we can inquire of?"

1KI 22:8 The king of Israel answered Jehoshaphat, "There is still one man through whom we can inquire of the LORD, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah."

This was Israel, but the king of Judah was not surprised that 400 prophets could assemble.
And musicians:

1CH 6:31 These are the men David put in charge of the music in the house of the LORD after the ark came to rest there. 32 They ministered with music before the tabernacle, the Tent of Meeting, until Solomon built the temple of the LORD in Jerusalem. They performed their duties according to the regulations laid down for them.

2CH 8:11 Solomon brought Pharaoh's daughter up from the City of David to the palace he had built for her, for he said, "My wife must not live in the palace of David king of Israel, because the places the ark of the LORD has entered are holy."

I find it interesting that David had the tent and ark in his palace on mount Zion, not on the temple mount, which is some distance away. Solomon built his palace on or near the temple mount. Currently Mount Zion has Christian churches and monasteries all over it.

We need to break free of that kingdom on earth and have a theology of us getting out and leaving this world in the dust. We need a king who is not of this world and a God who needs no world whatsoever.

The priesthood was of the believer and he could make use of existing places of worship, or make one himself, to facilitate his current habitation.
God made a man His habitation and forsook the building of stone. That man had no place to lay his head and even a tomb carved from the living stone could not hold him.

Jesus is Lord! In Jesus we have a king, a high priest, a temple in heaven, and a prophet greater than Moses.

1PE 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
1PE 2:11 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

PHP 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

Any believer anywhere in the world can pray directly to the Father in heaven through the name of Jesus. The ultimate decentralized religion!
The ultimate decentralized priesthood! The ultimate centralized nation! The nation of God in heaven, even while living on earth in every nation, tribe, tongue, and people while waiting for the Lord Jesus Christ.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by pthena]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

2SA 7 " `The LORD declares to you that the LORD himself will establish a house for you: 12 When your days are over and you rest with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, who will come from your own body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with the rod of men, with floggings inflicted by men. 15 But my love will never be taken away from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever.' "

HEB 2:10 In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. 11 Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers.

HEB 2:14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death--that is, the devil-- 15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. 16 For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants. 17 For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. 18 Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

I am surprised that no one challenged my assertion of the obsoleteness of 'blood of Jesus' and 'he died so that...' phrases. These seem to be what many Christians seem to consider as the gospel, as in 'the good news is that Jesus died!'
Islamic teaching is that Jesus didn't die; that he was taken up alive to heaven and hidden away and will return shortly before the last day to reign as king for about 40 years and then be buried next to Mohammed. This falls very short of what was promised to David, as quoted above.

That Jesus died is really a matter between God and Jesus (son of God by virtue of being son of David). It is in no way the 'good news'. The good news is that the son of David lives forever and will inherit an everlasting kingdom as son of man(Dan.7:13-14). This is the gospel of the kingdom Jesus proclaimed. His kingdom parables are mostly concerned with who is part of the kingdom and who is not. The kingdom exists as promise and can be participated in now. It is not a matter of being of David's tribe of Judah, all will be subjects of the Son of Man, now and forever. The good news is that you can be a child of the kingdom and not an unwilling subject. The invitation is made, harden not your hearts.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pthena

I think a lot of the old dogmas purported by the early church are about fade away in our time. The claim, for instance, that Jesus was the "one and only" son of God is a claim that Jesus never even alluded to once. There is, in my opinion, no such thing anywhere as the "one and only" son of God.

"Original sin" is another one those claims that the early church put forth in order to control. And what better way to control the masses than to keep them in fear of hell by telling them that everyone is born in sin from the very get go. It was, and still is, all about control.

The whole "ransom theory" you talk about is also a dogma put into place by the church because animal sacrifices were for the pagans. Therefore a human "blood" sacrifice was put in place as a payment to the devil for an atonement of our original sin. Are we to believe that God has so little control over the forces of the Universe and the devil that He had to pay the devil off so that the elect, and only the elect, could find salvation? Sounds ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo__
See jmdewey's post www.abovetopsecret.com...
It comes down to a matter of control. Political and religious rulers trying to control people. My next post will address how these controls look today with regards to Jews, Christians, and Muslims.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena
reply to post by Neo__
See jmdewey's post www.abovetopsecret.com...
It comes down to a matter of control. Political and religious rulers trying to control people.

Absolutely. And it's worked quite well for thousands of years. Today, however, everything is changing. In the past it was only the swamis, the gurus and the priests that could experience God and they passed their vision to the 'common people'. Today, 'common people' all over the world are beginning to experience the same thing that Jesus did.

As predicted this path to enlightenment has opened up to everyone today, everywhere. The organized religious establishments must be very concerned about control. They will either have to change their structured model of religion or pass away in time like so many other religions humanity has outgrown.

Nothing can arrest the soul from finding the truth and there is no religion higher than truth.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

The End Time Rebellion and Today

2TH 2:1 Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy, report or letter supposed to have come from us, saying that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don't let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

Paul is referring to Psalm 2 and Daniel 7,11,12. Many commentaries have attempted to identify each verse in Daniel 11 with a historical event, quite a herculean task, with all the alliances made and betrayed. Jesus simplified it by summing it up thus:

MT 24:4 Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, `I am the Christ, ' and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.
MT 24:9 "Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

MK 3:23 So Jesus called them and spoke to them in parables: "How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come.

This is how the world looks now:
The American empire has alliances with states and non-state actors that in no way benefit the American people, but rather perpetual war and increasing world militarism. Since 1945 the US has guaranteed the dynasty of the Wahhabi Sunni house of Saud as rulers of Arabian Peninsula. Also the US has been providing political cover for the so-called Jewish State of Israel as it expands into other peoples lands and territories. These alliances are extremely unnatural. The parties are schemers and chumps at the same time, each jockeying for power and domination and control over every holy site and relic pertaining to Abrahamic tradition.

Background powers:
Jewish Zionist Extremism wishes to ethnically cleanse the territory they refer to as 'Greater Israel' and control every holy site including the tombs of the Patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and the whole of Jerusalem, territories currently in Palestinian territories. They eventually hope to find the ark of the covenant, build a new temple and thereby force God to renew the covenant. This will bring them into conflict with the Vatican and Orthodox churches that control the old city of David on Mount Zion.

The American Nationalist Christians(ANC) which by last polls make up 40% of Christianity in America is a fundamentalist dispensationalist movement which teaches that the Jewish Zionist extremist agenda will lead to the coming of the anti-christ, who will destroy most all Jews. The ANC is therefore lobbying and supporting monetarily the expansion of illegal settlements on Palestinian territory. They hope to force God to rapture them away to heaven so they escape the destruction they set in motion themselves.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
(continuation)

Extremist Wahhabist Sunni Islam teaches the oneness of God such that intermediaries for prayer and visiting of shrines and tombs is idolatry and that its practitioners and advocates to be outside of Islam and permissible to kill, raid, and enslave(this would of course include Christians and Shia Muslims who visit Najaf and Karbala) Sunnis generally do not put much emphasis on the Last Day, but rather expanding territory. Shias on the other hand put much emphasis on events surrounding the Last Day and like followers of Jesus look to the 12th Imam and Jesus to return and restore justice, therefore no need for currently seizing territory.

This unnatural alliance of power elite will continually turn upon itself. The current joint target seems to be the Shias which happens to be majority of Iran, and minority in Yemen where they are currently being killed with US support by Saudis and Yemen government.

True Jews look forward to the coming of Messiah and care for the poor.
True Christians look forward to the coming of Messiah and care for the poor.
True Muslims submit to Allah, await the Last day, and care for the poor.

The rebellion against God is the attempt to use force to control God, extreme blasphemy.
Idolaters worship their own righteousness and military prowess.

These are the true choices: submission to God or seeking to control God.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by pthena]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo__

The sort of thing we need to avoid is the idea of a current priesthood who has the ability to offer some sort of sacrifice to God, themselves, as if it was theirs to give.
The one who made the sacrifice is of another order, who supersedes any earthly priestly order. It was actually God himself who made the sacrifice, otherwise there is no meaning to it.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Neo__
I noticed that you marked me as a friend, so I should explain myself a bit, in case you want to change your mind. I must maintain limits on myself.

In late '78 Abraham Maslow's Pyramid of Human needs was very popular and being taught in work site seminars. Sounded good so I read all of his papers on Self-actualization and Self-transcendence. I was swept into an outrageous state of euphoria and delusion about how great I was. When I recognized the delusion I dropped it, and went back to safer Christian theology.
In '96 after a period of time spent trying to be an Atheist and failing, I got ahold of a book on Shamanism that explained psychotic breaks as clinically indistinguishable from shamanic breaks, in that the barrier between seen and unseen in the psyche is compromised. I was familiar with Hesiod's works, so called on the muses to help me understand the gods. The few gods who showed up invariably stated that there was one God the Creator and that Jesus the son of man (representative of humanity) was greater than the gods. They also warned me not to do it again. There are things I wouldn't want to associate with.

My brother-in-law quite recently leant me a book by Eckhart Tolle, 'A New Earth' which explains a lot about ego, delusion, pain-body which makes much sense to me.

I am an odd Pagan for I limit myself within the 'safe for me' Christian doctrine of mystical union to Christ and through him to God. I find this not a limit at all, for God is love. Love does not puff up (as Paul wrote).

I know 'enlightenment' outside this framework leads to delusion and destruction for me. I don't know what to think about it for others. From what I've seen, it seems to liberate from external mind control, which is a good thing.

I hope the best for you, we live in interesting times

[edit on 7-12-2009 by pthena]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena

I am an odd Pagan for I limit myself within the 'safe for me' Christian doctrine of mystical union to Christ and through him to God.

More people need to talk about this mystical union. I'm married and have grown kids, yet I did not know love until I found myself prostrate, with waves of love, that just echoed through my being.

Isn't it a certain number of people who have to come into the knowledge of the mystical union before the times of the gentiles can be over?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrtales Instinct

Isn't it a certain number of people who have to come into the knowledge of the mystical union before the times of the gentiles can be over?

I don't know of any specific number mentioned. We are in a time though when even eastern mystics are speaking of union with the Cosmic Christ, and speaking of Jesus as more enlightened than the Buddha. The advantage that Christians have had is in knowing a man's name, Jesus, as the Christ. That advantage is fading away. Acts 2 Peter quoted a prophecy from Joel concerning the pouring out of the Spirit in the last days.

AC 2:17 " `In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.

That's all people.

JN 16:12 "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.

The Spirit of truth is bringing people everywhere into knowledge of God through knowledge of Jesus the Christ. When Jesus returns as King those who are his will recognize him.

The number I think is from Paul

RO 11:25 I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:

"The deliverer will come from Zion;
he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.

RO 11:27 And this is my covenant with them
when I take away their sins."

RO 11:28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, 29 for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable. 30 Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, 31 so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God's mercy to you. 32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Where Paul quotes 'from Zion' Isaiah says 'to Zion'. Zion is the city of David in Jerusalem, also mystically it is heaven

HEB 12:22 But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, 23 to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the judge of all men, to the spirits of righteous men made perfect, 24 to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by pthena]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Here's a nice bit of information on Athanasius that I got from one of the books I most recently ordered. Breaking the Code, Understanding the Book of Revelation, by Bruce M. Metzger:

. . .Certainly from the mid-second century onward the book was widely, though not universally, ascribed to the apostle John. . .accepted in the West, beginning with Justin Martyr. . .the apostolic origin was disputed in the East. . .But after Athanasius of Alexandria (A.D. 367) and the Latin church under the influence of Augustine toward the end of the fourth century had accepted Revelation in their lists of the canon, the book was no longer officially contested as part of the New Testament.

[edit on 9-12-2009 by jmdewey60]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join