It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Universe is based on Information and Computation not Materialism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I think Western science may be lacking on this front. It seems we try to explain everything in the context of materialism so we get all of these exotic theories where we need a universe for every choice we make.

Occam's Razor tells us the universe is digital and not based on materialism. A bunch of dead materials to come together by chance and form life makes no sense. Life is the logical output of quantum computation.

It's like the internet. You see webpages and banner ads but they are just a product of the program and computation. The pixels on the screen allow the information to manifest. They don't originate the information.

This is the same with matter and energy. They manifest the information but they don't originate the information. Western science acts like matter creates information through chance.

I wouldn't be surprised if the universe is filled with microbial and intelligent life because the universe is programmed to produce life.

You have M.I.T. Professor Seth Lloyd saying the universe is a quantum computer.

WIRED: I hear you're a quantum computer repair guy.
LLOYD: Yes, I am a quantum mechanic! Those darn quantum computers break all the time.

You've jumped from working on quantum computers to saying, oh, by the way, the universe is a gigantic quantum computer.
When you zap things with light to build quantum computers, you're hacking existing systems. You're hijacking the computation that's already happening in the universe, just like a hacker takes over someone else's computer.

What is the universe computing when we are not hijacking it for our own purposes?
It computes itself. It computes the flow of orange juice as you drink it, or the position of each atom in your cells.

Um, how many times have you seen The Matrix?
Sadly, only once. In The Matrix, what you see is fake - a simulation of bits - which is only a facade of what is real beneath it. But our universe is a simulation so exact that it is indistinguishable from the real thing. Our universe is one big honking quantum mechanical computer.

www.wired.com...

Here's a paper about the Periodic Table of Bits

Abstract: In this paper, we will discuss how elements from the periodic table can be described as bits of information. We will attempt to show that the universe is a classical computer that’s the output of a quantum computer. The Periodic Table of Bits will also attempt to show why the universe appears logical to the observer. The theory will also attempt to explain dark matter/energy as neutrons/neutrinos or 0’s (neutrons) that do not have 1’s (protons). The universe is calculated on a quantum level and then expressed on a classical level.

Conclusion: The Periodic table of bits shows that everything is made up of immaterial binary digits that manifest through matter/energy. This also means that we may be able to convert dark energy neutrons/neutrinos into visible matter. We have to be careful here because you don't want to convert so much of this dark energy that you start a contraction of the universe. In other words, we may need a certain amount of dark matter/energy in order for the universe to expand. The Periodic Table of Bits shows the universe can be fully described using an 8 bit system. The highest element in the periodic table is 118 (Ununoctium). This means all of the elements can be described within 255 Bytes which is the limit within an 8 bit system.

jmsonline.wordpress.com...

You have things like Biocentrisim from Robert Lanza and Professor Nick Bostrom says we could be a simulation.

Biocentrism is a scientific theory that posits that life creates the universe rather than the other way around. In this view, current theories of the physical world do not work, and can never be made to work, until they fully account for life and consciousness.

en.wikipedia.org...

This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

www.simulation-argument.com...

I think information has to be seen as an immaterial, fundamental property of reality that's expressed through qubits and bits in subatomic particles and atoms.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Sorry , i can't agree totaly with what come with your speak : even if we are information we cannot accept a "simulacra" of reality. ( a brain washed buddhistic zen totalitarism )

The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth--it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true.

en.wikipedia.org...

books.google.com...=onepage&q=simulacrum%20simulation&f=false

There are real important thing : maybe some forget it, and that is our problem.

Litteraly : what is really important is the way we see things : do you thing the zen/buddhist way is good ?

The basis of christian culture/religion is to create a community and not accept how the society is designed : at the beginning christians are rebels. ( nowadays there are half conservative but nevermind : this is cultural ).

[edit on 3-12-2009 by psychederic]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

S+F

Though while I somewhat share your opinion although not your surety. We really have no way of telling if what we think is Quantum Mechanics is no more than a a kind of reflection of the minds of the people working on it. And wouldn't that make the "programmer" "god"?

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Good point and the Programmer is God. There has to be a Mind to give meaning to the information. So no matter how many times you give a random shuffle to the alphabet you will not get Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare.

So there has to be logic and reason behind the universe. It didn't just come together by chance. The universe is the logical output of quantum computation.

Like the one paper said, you can describe the universe as an 8 bit system.

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

So if you want to assign a bit of information the value of 31 it's just

So if you want to assign a constant of the universe the value of 31 then everytime the binary digits for 31 are expressed you get the constant of nature that was assigned that value.

So the universe is the logical output of quantum computation. The problem with science today is they try to explain everything in the terms of blind materialism.

So yes, I think there's a Mind behind the universe and this Mind is within us and this is how we give meaning to the universe and books and marriage and more.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by Matrix Rising]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Holy tower of turtles! Now how is it that all the things that these IS's are, are anything. What is their IS-ness? What is IS-ness?

If this is that, then what is that? If that is thot, thot is
? Is this indeed
?

(Duely note that confusion is NOT playing a role in that calculation)

So if you want to assign a bit of information the value of 31 it's just

FYI:
0001111 = 15 = 0x0f
0011111 = 31 = 0x1f

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

In an 8 bit system it's 00011111

Does 128 go into 31?

Does 64 go into 31?

Does 32 go into 31?

Does 16 go into 31?

Does 8 go into 15?

Does 4 go into 7?

Does 2 go into 3?

Does 1 go into 1?

So you get 00011111

The universe needs this type of logic in order for us to give the universe meaning.

Here's a good tutorial on an 8 bit system.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The problem here is materialism.

If we began to explain the universe in terms of computation and information it would make more sense especially in this information age.

Western science wants everything to fit into a blind box of materialism and they keep going down the rabbit hole.

Qubits get entangled and they are expressed as bits in a classical universe.

This is because of noise and decoherence.

So let's look at a hypothetical quantum egg.

This quantum egg can be broken and not broken at the same time. When these qubits get entangled you have a loss of information because of noise. So the quantum egg becomes 2 bits of information in the classical universe and goes to broken or not broken.

quantum egg = broken and not broken at the same time.

classical egg = broken or not broken

We need to look at things through the eyes of computation and information instead of materialism.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

In a power of two system of N bits, 31 = 11111 and requires at least a five bit system to represent.

I do program so I'm already familiar with base 2 encoding. You had typed 0001111 which is 15 but I see you corrected your post. I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

I'm not sure what it means that the "problem is materialism" in this particular context. Whether the universe is "substantial stuff" or effectively the answers to yes/no questions while the unobserved quantum is the unanswered question, I see no effective difference for our own existence.

It only "makes sense" if in fact it can predict or explain things that another theory cannot while accounting for everything already observed. What age we're in has no relevance in how we should explain the universe. Whether its nature makes intuitive sense or not, I cannot say it matters. If memory serves, man likes to compare his latest gadgets to the nature of reality/mind. As of now we write allegorical approximations at best.

On the other hand, I have stated before in other places that I believe our technology approaches being a model of the world as it is as we advance. We're getting ahead of ourselves to say "it IS (quantum) computation", which does not really explain the basis for the computation itself, even in a regress of simulations. If it is that, what prevents a reality of something else, something completely different, from existing?

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

The Universe is based on consciousness, nothing else. The universe is a manifestation of expanding consciousness. Consciousness cannot be explained by modern science. We'll need a new science to explain it, and this science is not far away. The rays of creations cannot be looked at with the mind, which is limited in its comprehension. Supra mental abilities are required, meaning the real intelligence, the cosmic intelligence.

Just my 2 cents...

new topics

top topics

join