It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS should shut itself down.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The human race should shut itself down...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
I double dog dare SkepticOverlord to pull the plug on ATS for 24 hours at a time of his choosing, and lets see who comes back first immediately, when it is back up.

The detractors will be the first online... betya!

Never happen by choice... to much to loose in advertising,.. but then again maybe it could boost ratings. Anyway. to the OP, I kinda feel your pain there are many residents to this site that are, to put it simply are very uneducated. However I will say this still is a VERY excellent site for staying ahead of MSM info. Also there are many very intelligent people that use this site. So as many have said already, ya gotta take the good with the bad. cause that is just a part of life. Cheers.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kilas

I'm glad there are others on here that think this way. I was actually just thinking about this today, and thought about posting my own little diddy on how disappointed I am. I'm glad I didn't have to, though.

Whenever I first started frequenting ATS, it would make me so happy. I would spend hours perusing through the threads and reading every page of the threads I was looking at. But now, it seems that everytime I get on, I just become angry. It's like every thread on the front page is just made to create anger and further divide people. In fact, I'm surprised that the mods are even letting it happen. And even beyond the front page, there is a certain feeling of frustration and angst. I hate it... but maybe that's the point. Are we being sabotaged?

We can't let that happen.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
ATS can't control the stupid people of the world

but YOU can control the ...well....un-intelligent things that you say.

Shutting down ATS simply because there are some less than admirable people here doesn't make any sense...and IMO is nothing but a childish imitation of a rant.

Its a bastion for intelligent conversation - you just have to ignore the dumb asses.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

You never know what you got until its gone.

With all of the threats aimed at sites like ATS and all of those who would rather bitch about content rather than produce better quality.

A shut down "by choice" would prove to be a very effective reminder on several levels.

ATS can pull the plug anytime they choose to.

My dare stands.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kilas

your pasted together rant, while fashionable lately, is sadly lacking in any real substance. Honestly, I think you should have a beer and relax, you're rather quick to judge, it seems.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
To the OP, this is the internet so unfortunately it allows everyone and anyone to join in and talk about whatever they want (to an extent).

You need to do what you do in real life - if you don't agree with someones views, their way of speaking, their comments, whatever, then don't read it, block them out of your ATS experience. You ultimately choose what threads too read, how much of it too read, and what you say in those threads. Just like in a real life situation - you may be having a conversation at a bar with 3 guys you just ran into talking about politics. 2 of those guys may be dumb as nails and it may piss you off so more than likely you'll walk away and that will be that.

Just use your judgment when it comes to ATS topics and conversations. No one is forcing you to read or participate in any threads at all.

While I do agree that raciest, dumb, and ranting users on ATS would be better off banned, what would be the point of having one large group of people who have the same views? No conflicts, no discussions, just agreements within threads... wouldn't be that fun would it?

I know that I participate well, and that I'm not dumb or make stupid remarks (although we all have before), and that's all that matters to me. Don't let others bring you down - just remember what you contribute is all that matters.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I don't believe ATS should shut itself down.

How about just implementing fair and impartial moderation.

Not all but some Mods tend to defend their friends and ideology by abusing their power to delete a post.

I had a person call me a liar and challenge me to provide proof by having a third party that could validate what I was saying, chime in.

The persons email address was posted on a thread here at ATS related to the discussion I was involved in. In fact that person whose mail address was plainly listed in the big investigation thread was accused of being involved in a hoax along with a bunch of other people whose email addresses were posted as well.

I contacted the person whom I know, and have worked with for years.
He sent an email to be posted in the thread validating that I was where I said I was, and whom I said I was. The only way that this could be resolved was by a statement from that person that was verifiable. I posted his email to me and the group.

He even invited the OP to email him so he could confirm it came from him.

After the Mod read the post where my statements were proven to be true and not lies. He deleted the post claiming it was due to me and the OP insulting each other in the thread, the post he deleted had no insults, just what the OP had asked for when he was calling me a liar. Apparently it's ok to call someone a liar and not allow the person to respond.

I emailed the Mod, he said the reason for the deletion was the posting of an email address. Then he blew me off with some more hypocrisy about how you don't have to defend yourself, and some choice condescension.
What is my recourse here? None at all.

However the thread that included that email address for years is still up and being referenced by anyone discussing the Titor time travel hoax.

So tell me, how is it that fair and balanced?

It's not. You either enforce the term of service or remove it, you can't just use it as a weapon to suppress the skewering of your particular sacred cow.

He could have just deleted the email address and complied with that rule, even though it was a reference to one of the big investigation threads and that email address had been made public here for years, and the person agreed to have his email posted in my post.

I have a big forum and moderators, if one of my Mods did that more than one time he or she would no longer be a moderator.

Here it is par for the course.

Don't close it.

Fix it.

Make moderators accountable for their actions.

If we could do that in the workplace, government ,and law enforcement, we would be a much better world.

Peace

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilas
It really does sadden me that we still can't agree on the most basic points of being human. Like all people of all colours, creeds and religions can just treat each other with respect, non-judgement and love. Agree to disagree, just get along.

Yatzee! Bingo! Is that your final answer? Finally a poster I can agree with 99.9%! The remaining 0.01% is the part that would disagree with the 'shutting down' of ATS...sorry but we crazies have to meet somewhere.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Blah blah blah.

Seriously, shut down ATS because you think ATS is a place where hatred breeds? Umm, I have yet to see such hatred, maybe because I dont "hang out" in the religious threads or the "LGBT" threads. I stay away from nonsense and negativity.

Maybe you (the OP) could try not hanging out in those sections where people roll about in 5,000 years of recorded propaganda.

Shutting down something because you feel angry due to reading text on a screen is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

ATS "IS" interesting, not full of hatred...you find hatred because you searched for it. Its called "The Law of Attraction".

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
You'll find a wide array of ideas and ATTITUDES on any online forum such as this. What do you see when you walk out on the street? There are relaxed people with class and dignity, there are arrogant people who have no self awareness or respect. There is everything in between. Go up to people in the street and ask them their opinion on any topic. You'll get a wide range of answers and attitudes. Some people will pounce on you. Some people will run away. Some people will use it as an excuse to vent. Some people will call the cops. Some people start quoting scripture. Some people will commend you on your sage-like insight.

This forum, although it focuses on things of a clandestine or contrroversial nature still represents all kinds of people. It is still basically a public forum, You are dealing with the public much as you would on the street (or maybe a demonstration area on the side of the steet?) Even then, you will meet ALL KINDS of people with something different to say, some of it intelligent and some of it pure bull#.

Hmm. So maybe we should just make demonstrating illegal so people who happen to be less than mature won't show up?

No can do.
The free world doesn't work that way.
You need to develop your own skills for sorting through it.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
After looking over your previous posts on the site, it looks like you have had a lot of posts removed for rule violations and manners. Maybe you are making this place negative for yourself and not the other way around? Some of your posts said, "You dont like it cause....your stupid" and "TYPICAL YANK!!! Read some books."

Like I said, you are the one bringing negativity when you talk of wanting peace and love for everyone.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I Didn't bother reading this whole thread .
I have a better idea.Why don't all you cry baby's who can't handle an argument or a differing opinion get a box of tissues and a good book and get the heck off of this site .
Sissys!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
I Didn't bother reading this whole thread .
I have a better idea.Why don't all you cry baby's who can't handle an argument or a differing opinion get a box of tissues and a good book and get the heck off of this site .
Sissys!

You obviously didn't read the thread.

It's not about different opinions and arguments.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

I was answering the original post and staying on topic.

There seem to be very little intelligent discussion going on here. Very little indeed. Whether its about Obama, or UFO's or anything there seems to be a number of people who comment, a large number in fact that are just ...well shall I just say coming across as though they are a little damaged.

According to who?This guy?

1) Im shocked at the amount of racisms on this site. It seems every conversation about Islam or Obama ends up being a racist rant by some of ATS members. Some of the most horrible things have been said. 2) Sexism - There seems to be a lot of men on ATS with ancient and very crude views on women. 3) Extremist Religion - Again there seem to be some real hot heads on ATS with some very concerning views about the way religion should be enforced. 4) Homophobia - Think I just saw a thread about gays being burnt in hell....that says it all. Who are you to judge Mr. Homophobe. thought the bible said judge not less ye be judged. He who is without sin cast the first stone. But again, i have seen some very worrying views on the subject. 4) Anti - religious extremism - The shear amount of hatred coming out of ATS for religion at the moment is huge. I know I sometimes struggle myself, but as long as people are balanced and not extreme I'm okay with whatever you pray to. 5) Very little truth - There are a large number of people here who simply make things up. They join a debate, start arguing and just make stuff up to prove their point.

Thank you Mr. holier than thou

It truly is a sad sad world we still live in today. After 5000 years of recorded human history we still can't get the basics right.

Tissues please.

It really does sadden me that we still can't agree on the most basic points of being human. Like all people of all colours, creeds and religions can just treat each other with respect, non-judgement and love. Agree to disagree, just get along.

Nobody ever said life was fair.

Don't come here if it upsets you that much.
Seriously!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Oh dear. The problems do not lie in differing opinion and honest rational argument. The problems lie in the blind slavery to one point of view usually devolving into personal attacks and ranting.
One of my closest friends has "faith" (which one is irrelevant). He however comments that he enjoys when I "poke him with a stick to see if he'll twitch"
(his words not mine).
He regards me as his test of faith and provider of alternate viewpoints.
That is how ATS should (and often is) be. Unfortunately it is often hard to sift that out from the overwhelming deluge of self righteous posturing.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I haven't read this whole thread, I imagine this thread is starting to turn into the reason why we're in the place we are now. But I will just express my opinion as i'm sure someone else is bound to have it but may not have the time to express their feelings correctly about the issue.

From the beginning time I've visited this site, it's been an extreme creditable source of information, people who made threads used to actually DO research and CHECK their sources before they make a thread. Ill give you the Aliens & UFO section for example. It used to be fun to see a new thread on the board, cause you knew something important was inside of it.

Now sadly, its been over run by a bunch of kids with Google Earth and the ability to zoom in on something x400 and post saying its an alien base or something on the moon. It seems everybody is always in fights with each other over creditability.

You could have the most startling information, checked your sources, KNOW that everything you are saying is correct yet someone is bound to try to make a post and hijack your thread into the shear thought of it being phony.

For this reason, this site has gone down the tubes. There are genuine people here with real messages that they need to deliver, yet they get bombarded by fake accusations. I wont go too far into it, but I am one of those people with an extremely important message to the world. To put it bluntly, yes I am in "contact" with aliens, I have been roughly for the past 6-7 years.

Now just the site of seeing those words raises all sorts of questions, and rightfully so, questions about the authenticity of the individual. The problem is, the site is just such a disarray now that when people try to make a post sharing their message (myself included) the first 5-10 posts are always usually people for lack of better words, saying your bull#.

It grows extremely frustrating on the person, the few of us are here to spread a message, an important one at that. Its not an easy task to do so, so when you spend hours typing a thread and picking your words carefully only for the thread to die only because a few select people try to discredit the thread SO MUCH that they eventually trick everybody else into thinking the same thing.

Why should we sit here and put time into spreading knowledge when half of the people on here don't think its true? And don't deserve to hear it? Most of those people are missing the entire point of this website. Most of them only seem to come onto this site to try to discredit every and possible post they can.

I cant speak for every other forum, but like I said, all it takes now is a child with Photoshop to create a ridiculous 400+ post thread all on a count of a single picture magnified x1000 times. Its literally become to that point, download Google Earth and zoom in on ANY section of the moon. Copy that imagine, open it in Photoshop, zoom in an abnormal amount of times and say its an alien, or a UFO base, or something along those matters and most of the people here will believe you.

Sadly, most of the ATS veterans have left the site for most of these purposes, ATS has become sort of the butt-end joke of all the conspiracy sites.

I myself have seen this on many occasions, other sites will have individuals post such obscure and meaningless pictures and try to claim them as something incredibly important, most responses are "go back to ATS with all the other dumb people like you". I myself don't feel the same way, but I certainly understand other people's frustration and why they would say something like that.

So, with all that being said. The ONLY way for the site to go back to the way it used to be is obviously MUCH tighter security on the sub-forums. We need MORE mods who aren't NEW to the site, we need actual veteran MODS. Of course theres much more into rebuilding the sites creditability but thats where "they" need to start.

Sorry for the wall of text, just expressing an opinion.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EdCase512

Understood and point conceded.What I am saying is,if every time some one runs into a little friction or a different view point they begin to question the motives or morality of this site and the world they live in ,then this might not be the place for them.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I have an idea.

If you like the site, dont do anything.

If you dont like the site, stop reading it

-or-

Take a bigger part in the discussion and express your views as well,, I mean isn't that why we get on here?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I like it here! I am glad this site is not full of a bunch of milk sops!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join