It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani Forces Kill Commander, 14 Others

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Pakistani Forces Kill Commander, 14 Others

www.foxnews.com

KHAR, Pakistan — Pakistani security forces have killed 15 militants, including a senior commander, in separate clashes as they seek to rout the Taliban from strongholds in the country's northwest, officials said Thursday.

The deadliest fighting was in Swat Valley, the site of a major military offensive this summer that was declared a success but has been the scene of sporadic violence since.

Ten suspects were killed in overnight fighting following a raid on a militant hide-out near the Swat Valley town of Kabal, Maj. Mushtaq Ahmed said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
video.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pakistan getting paid to (kill its own people)

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Encouraging news! Pakistan working with the US and the West to fight against the Taliban and Al Queda!

"Pakistan faces heavy pressure from the U.S. to crack down on Taliban and Al Qaeda insurgents who attack American and Afghan troops across the border."

"The army has launched several offensives, including one under way in South Waziristan. Many fear the U.S. plans to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan will push more militants into Pakistan."

Pakistan doesn't want al-Qaeda either?

Al-Qaeda a destabilizing force?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
"The army has launched several offensives, including one under way in South Waziristan. Many fear the U.S. plans to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan will push more militants into Pakistan."

I think people are confused....

The real reason for the US surge is in direct relation to Pakistans recent offensive. Where the Taliban are loosing their winter hide outs and have been forced to be on the move. They'll flow back into Afghanistan across the border this will increase the amount of action US/Western forces will see in the coming months. IMO

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The real reason for the US surge is in direct relation to Pakistans recent offensive.

I'm still not sure if obama will go after the Talibans moving in from Pakistan or have our troops sit back and patrol the major cities?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I don't know what to think about Pakistan anymore... once it looks like there making progress over there something happens to make them take three steps back...

they got that ongoing thing with India now their bumping heads with Iran...
I'm just not sure we should trust them...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I agree with you,the BBC were reporting that the talliban in Afganistan were warning Obama that sending more troops will result in them hitting us harder!
If its too hot to handle in Pakistan,then across the border they will go-the last thing we need is more of them engaging our lads

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I'm still not sure if obama will go after the Talibans moving in from Pakistan or have our troops sit back and patrol the major cities?

You're not alone!

Afghanistan Plan 'Incomplete' Without Pakistan Push, Lugar Says

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The problem with Pakistan and Afganistan is that corruption ends up trumping what could have been a working relationship.

The only way to win over the people and especially the politicians/rulers in Pakistan and Afganistan is to offer them a sweeter offer than the Taliban and al-Quaida can.

That's really what it comes down to. As long as the Taliban sits on the border of Pakistan -- and leaves Pakistan alone - they have no incentive to oust them. However, now that we are increasing aide and assistance in order to get rid of them, this becomes more valuable.

However, if either Pakistan or Afganistan begin to feel as if the US is poised to take over their respective countries and/or delve into their laws and dictating policies not directly related to the war -- you will find our relationship quickly in tatters.

Laslty, I believe Pakistan will ramp up their efforts exponentially now that the US is sending more troops. Pakistan would love nothing more than to rid their country of the terrorists before the surge of US troops even begin arriving.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

LONDON – Pakistan's prime minister Thursday signaled his country's cautious response to President Barack Obama's new policy for Pakistan and Afghanistan by declining to endorse the U.S.-led troop surge.

Instead, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said his government needs more information about Obama's plan to expand the U.S. military presence in Afghanistan and at the same time increase aid to Pakistan.

Gilani said Pakistan was looking into the policy announced by Obama on Tuesday, including the suggestion that more covert CIA resources would be deployed in Pakistan, where the central government faces a strong threat from Islamic extremists.

"Regarding the new policy of President Obama, we are studying that policy," Gilani said during a joint news conference with his British counterpart Gordon Brown in London. "We need more clarity on it, and when we get more clarity on it, we can see what we can implement on that plan."

I don't see the need to clarify more on the plan. The purpose is to take on the Taliban which has strengthen the last year or so and kick butt. If Pakistan is afraid that the Taliban in Afghanistan heads to Pakistan, then they should do something about their own side of the fight which they don't consider as more of a threat than India do they? So why should Pakistan be concern about the Taliban which they deem as not much of a threat to their interests? Oh yeah they created the Taliban.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
An Indian Muslim friend and one-time journalist opines that the Pakistani military is feeling humiliated and under pressure to look like their doing their job. So there will be a short term push on the side of anti-Taliban movement.

The US is offering financial incentives and no one wants to miss out on them.

It's all a game like a corrupt city police force going out and rounding up some hookers and drig-dealers to give the impression they're doing their jobs.

My guess is the heavier duty players are providing lists of small-fry competitors and trouble makers they want put out of action.

Hard for people in Western societies to fully comprehend how things work over there. Nothing is ever exactly as it seems.

new topics

top topics

join