It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Find Your Totem Animal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Thank you for such a wonderful reply....it has helped more than you know. As for innocence, I can see how that would apply in terms of a deer totem. but perhaps I inadvertently missed it out because I feel it doesn't really apply to me. I have a much darker side to me that doesn't mix well with this particular totem, and I simply don't know what to call it. Your comments about the bear being a protector for the deer hit home.....I think that's exactly what's happening. If I allow myself to be all doe just now, I will be hit by a truck, metaphorically. Maybe I should explore the bear totem some more, or ask for something else to step in. I'm not really a leader, much more of a hermit, and happy like that.

I have a feeling this might develop into a very important thread for many people who wish to work with their animals.

Meanwhile, a German Shepherd nose has mysteriously appeared in my armpit.......it's a sign......that tells me it's breakfast time.......

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I do not personally like animals near me. I enjoy them as food, sure, who doesn't...oh yeh "those people"....anyway-

Since I couldn't find anyway to make this work for me...I decided to change the rules.

Instead of an animal...you can pick from a "tank" or some sort of "mechanized infantry thing". but if you choose the Mech-inf, then you must spend some "spirit tokens" (not sure what those are as of yet) to upgrade your weapons to either "close combat" or "long range" (tanks only come with long ranged, but can travel faster and farther per "dream session").

Ok...so then.

My tank-or-robot can then choose to fight either one other tank-or-robot (or 5 totem animals) for a point.

Points can then be exchanged for better weapons or repairs.

No animals can be repaired by points, but they can be healed magically or naturally.

If anyone looks at you funny when you explain your tank or mech, just look at them and say-

"come on guys, this is very serious".

That will surly make people take you serious long enough to deploy your hidden elbow-loaded stealth-rockets, and then BLAMO sneak attack = double-points!

I decided on a Mech Infantry as my totem "thing"...I hope you choose a tank, so we can then battle for some spirit points!

Good thread...star and flag!

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Mr Mask]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

While some may find your dialogue to be humorous, I do not. I find it downright disrespectful to the topic at hand. I will tell you the same thing that I told IntastellaBurst, if you cannot contribute to the thread in an appropriate and respectfully inquisitive manner, do not contribute at all. All I ask is that respect be given to the Native American culture and not be ridiculed. You may not mean it as such, however, I find it offensive.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Mine is the wolf.

I came across a wild wolf when I was 12, in girlscouts and on a hike. It was around 1965.

A really magical experience that will remain with me for the rest of my lives.

Petting him and looking into his eyes - I will never forget - for a few minutes I felt at one with him and Mother Earth.

There are certain experiences one has that forever change that soul, this for me, was such a moment.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Well then...

I find it insensitive that you find my "way cooler" idea "offensive".

How dare you question my awesome idea? You could have shown it the same seriousness that you ask for your ideas...but no...you besmirch my totem-bots and call them humor...so low man...I wouldn't say that about your "invisible magic animal" thing...but here you are squashing my idea.

Yknow...imagine the first Indian to "make up" the "animal thing", and some other Indian laughing at his idea and calling it humor...you would have never got to have your own totem-beast.

Oh well...it is your thread...hog all the imaginary toys for yourself.

I have decided to add planes to mine! That's right, planes...bet your changing your mind now!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Must have been a remarkable experience. I only wish that I could experience something similar. Alas, there are no otters that I know of in Missouri.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
Slide!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7fee175396c3.jpg[/atsimg]

MOM? WTF ARE YYOU DOING ON ATS?!?!?!?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Great post! Thank you for suggesting a way to reach out to the natural world. Many folks can't get out into nature and experience the kind of deep connections that you are talking about. Your method might work for some,it's possible.
I think it would be far better rather than imagining this wondrous natural place would be to actually go out there instead. By spending time in the forest and learning to read animal tracks and sign you will eventually connnect with them in a spiritual way. It was good to hear you say that power animals don't have to be just wolves or eagles. A salamander would be a fine power animal even though he was joking about it. Bottom line is that EVERY animal has lessons to teach us and quite often they are not the ones we expect. Power animals will come and go in your life according to your needs.
When it comes to such deeply personal and meaningful connections, like dreams it is best to NOT discuss them with others as they lose their power when shared with others.
There is a difference between power animals and totem animals. Totem animals are clan signs and function as family/historical guardians. Power animals are more like personal friends who come and go during your life to give you guidance and strength.
Be open to other meanings than the ones usually ascribed to certain animals. For instance an owl may represent wisdom and wakefullness but it also has connotations with witchcraft (cherokee), warfare, and transition into death. Otters do smell and are playful but they are also creatures of great curiousity and fearlessness. Bears may be powerful but they can be quite cowardly and survive by eating small quantities of everything and practice conservation of energy. What I'm saying is just be open to other messages you may get, every animal has wisdom and some surprises.
Not only are animals spiritual guides but all nature can be including plants, trees, insects and even rocks. Just show respect, be still and quiet and ask for guidance. Your guides will come to you if you are sincere and dedicated. Don't expect instant success, the rules of man's world do not apply to the spiritual realm or nature. It can also be helpful to ask the 6 directions for guidance as well, N-E-W-S, above and below. Lastly, if your personal life is based on greed and self-interest don't expect much in the way of spiritual help. Nature knows our hearts better than we can ever know, it may take pain, fear or humility for us to get back on the right path.

edit for spelling

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

I feel sorry for you and Instellaburst. I know where you're coming from; logically speaking this thread makes no sense at all yet you feel the need to interject and belittle those who believe such "non-sense". This all sounds way too close to being religious, yes?
From a scientific viewpoint you're absolutely right. There is nothing quantifiable or measurable. There is no way to prove or disprove what others say. It's very aggravating to the logical mind. This is also your greatest limitation personally and why your growth will be lopsided. Your creative and intuitive side has been starved, often a result of higher education. Don't wonder why you feel no connection to the earth or nature, you have been taught that there is nothing of value out there but usable resources.
Mocking others for their beliefs is definitely anti-social behavior. To believe in animal guides isn't hurting anyone, so why the strong reaction from you?
Even Einstein was a product of nature. Nature made the animals, trees and you. You need to re-establish that connection to reach your full potential as a human being. Your minds are finely honed instruments but what of your hearts?
Try not to belittle others for their "foolish" behavior, it's harmless so why are you threatened by it? Your facade of logic is at risk of falling into pieces. Maybe that's the best thing for you. You can't build an addition to your house without knocking down a wall or two. Best of luck on your journey, I meant no offense to either of you. Regards, ATA

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Maybe you should give the Author some credit I know I have read that Somewhere..............But If anyone is interested in this stuff Check out Ted Andrews "Animal Speak" series of books and Meditation Tapes..............

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I like your thread- S&F!

Just ignore the disrespectful posters

I found my animal totem a long time ago- and it's the Eagle.

-Keywords:
Freedom
Rise above
Strength
Illumination
Courage

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Thanks for posting.

Mine, if I've got it right is a wolf. Most of the time when I dream, I can see myself running through a forest an from my reflections I see of myself in the water it's of a wolf. Though sometimes I seem to take on the appearance of a coyote, dark brown fur an all.
The impression he gives me is of a trouble maker (in a good way).

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I think many of us here on ATS, myself included, could take heed of this response:

No Hate
No Anger
No Derision

Just a well made point or two on accepting the beliefs of others without trying to break them down!

I don't mean to derail the thread!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
To the OP.

Co-opting cultural practices is one thing, but turning them into pill form covered in new age gloss is not really acceptable. To trivialize a spiritual quest is not apropos and unfortunately all to common as people try to latch onto some sort of spiritual identity as they reject those familiar things and seek new ones.

To find your totem takes a considerable amount more effort than what you have put forth and what your friend has told you in regards to creative visualization.

In the Midewiwin tradition of the Algonquin peoples, the totem is encountered on the vision quest that each seeker takes.

the vision quest is a spiritual and physical journey. the entrant goes into the forest with no water and no food and does not return until the totem has been encountered. This can take a few days and is not something that people lacking fortitude or a healthy constitution should do. You need to be healthy to forgo food and water and endure the hardship associated with a true vision quest.

That's about all I can cover on the subject. But I would say that the method you described is bordering on disrespectful and is definitely ignorant of the true traditions of seeking a totem or totems and conducting your vision quest.

I am not meaning to be mean or rude, I am pointing out that co-opting other cultures practices and then bastardizing them into new age fluff is simply not appropriate or considerate of that culture in any way.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
You know, I was kinda thinking nothing would happen. But then my imagination started to get deeper in the forest and BAM! A chunky little squirrel came to me and uttered some fast chips with a humorously neutral unchanging face and then darted off.

Then I looked up the meaning of the squirrel and it happened to describe my place in life currently.

Awesome

and edit-
if anything, if you dont think it's logical, perhaps then it would help if you looked at this such that it's your brain projecting its current state onto the searcher in a dream-like metaphorical sense

and edit again-
apparently it takes way more to find a totem animal, so perhaps i just have a gnarly imagination at the moment. Regardless, that squirrel was certainly there babbling away at me.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Joe1378]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

cats have a weird affinity for me...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Interesting topic

Has anyone else ever noticed some of the cultural similarities between the Native Americans and the ancient Celtic people? A few years ago I started noticing similarities in some of the artwork, and especially the animal symbolism. Check out the link below and you'll see what I mean.

www.whats-your-sign.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Mines a Wolf

I've always been a fan of wolves and now i undertsand why, even my family name is derived from the "Servant of the Wolf"

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by djusdjus

While I am inclined to agree with you about co-opting spiritual practices, for instance the people who recently died during a sweatlodge, don't be fooled either into thinking that indigenous people have some sort of monopoly on nature/spirituality. The creator makes these spirits available to all of us regardless of who we are or where we live. Not all of us can go out and find a place or time for a vision quest which is not one and the same as finding spirit guides. For a long time I tried to be a purist about such things but time and again I have been proven wrong by people who seemed to be deep into new-agey foo foo who actually did have deep connections with nature. Just as wearing a loin cloth and bow hunting every day is no guarantee of the same.
The creator's wisdom is shown to us by nature no matter where we are. It;s not the ritual aspects or the appearance that counts, it's the trueness of heart and the openness of spirit that will allow us to access the spirit realm. Jumping in and doing sweats and smoking a pipe might appear sacriligeous (and is in some cases) but not always. Leave it to the creator to be the judge of that. We are all beginners at this and beginners will make many mistakes. To not make mistakes is to never try.
I don't think anyone means to make offense against traditional practices by trying them out. The white man's way offers us nothing in this regard, what else could we do but copy from others wiser than us?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Mocking others? I did not mock anyone. But I see...if I picked an animal it would be respectful, but since I changed it to "better suit my own needs" I am mocking another. Got it.

Ok...

So...what about the real Native Americans who would find this casual use of a deeper concept, being used in an MTV-way? Would they see the OP to be "mocking them". Would they also be "mocking the OP"?

Hmmm...I dunno...I still think my idea was better. If that makes me some kind of universal scum bag, then hey, poor me. But I just don't see it.

I mean...I can really see a "real" native rolling his eyes at this "shallow grasp" of the "Totem Animal".

But hey...maybe I am wrong.

Alls I know is that my "totem bot" is WAY more important to me then any totem animal. And if that is "silly" to you...I can fully understand since totem animals seem silly to me.

I guess what I am saying is...I think this post is silly, but I understand the need for "silly" in ones life.

It is a shame that "others" can't understand the need for silly in "my" life.

Oh well...I will just keep making totem-bots in my head and ignoring those who mock me for it. At least it will be done "true to form" and not just done in an "attempt" to emulate something I saw on youtube.

I think its deeper to "make your own" then it is to "take from youtube".

Thats just me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join