It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Find Your Totem Animal

page: 1,
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
First off, if you don't know what a totem animal is...just think of it as a spirit guide in animal form. It was common practice for Native Americans and I suppose still is to this day. A very good friend of mine taught me the lessons I am about to share.

First things first, get at ease, as with all things spiritually enlightening. Ground and center yourself and close your eyes. The next part is *best* accomplished if someone reads while you imagine. However, if you are one of those people, such as myself, with a very vivid imagination then no worries, it can be done solo.

"You are standing in the middle of a lush, healthy forest. You can feel moist Earth, bits of branch and bark, and small stones underneath your bare feet and your hands rest on the rough mossy surface of a tall oak tree. You can smell the water after the morning rain all around you, leaving the forest misty and cool, glistening on the leaves and in tiny pools on the ground. The forest smells of pine and oak, birch and cedar, wet bark and damp earth, and fresh wind and rain. Look above you to the canopy of the trees; the sky is brilliant blue through the gaps in the leaves, wispy white clouds are draping the heights. The sun shines full and bright upon the forest, turning the leaves above into dappled stained-glass of different shades of green. You reach down into a small ool and touch your lips with clear, fresh rainwater, tasting its cool pureness. The wind comes through th leaves, whispering off of branch and bush, singing its own song. The birds are singing that song as well, cheerfully filling the forest with their calls, accented by the occasional frog's note. Look at the forest around you. Touch it, smell it, taste it, and hear it. Now feel the forest, inside and out. Feel all the elements, the wind and water, the earth and the sun, and the love of God(s) all around you. Become part of that forest."

(These next parts don't necessarily have to be read however they can be for those whose imagination is quickly departing them.)

"See yourself walking down a path(the path will look as you see it and feel it). The path is your walk with your spirituality, your learning....it is the path that we all walk in different ways. Folow the path until it leads you to a grove of birch trees, tall and slender and glowing white in the sunshine. The outside of the circle is lined with beautiful wildflowers; a pool of deep, clear water stands in the middle and nine stones enclose the circle round. The sun shines bright and full overhead, and the sky moves quickly as the wind brushes its ever-moving veil of clouds along. Stand at the entrance for a moment, using all of your senses to feel the grove. When it feels right, move to wherever is calling you--the rocks, the water, the flowers....whatever one you feel is the best for you, and is where you belong...."

"Feel the warm sun on your face, the cool breeze through your hair, the dew on your feet and the rocks beneath you. Sit and listen to all the sounds the forest makes, especially the animals. Think about how much you would like for your animal guide to come and speak to you in such a beautiful and meaningful place. Don't speak, but just listen to the forest and its creatures, hear the trees "speaking", and the wind and the animals. If you wait long enough you may hear footsteps through the brush into the grove. Your guide will stand before you from whichever direction the sound first emerged. Thank it for coming and then talk to it for as long as it is willing to stay..."

In my experience, I was actually in the forest. My very good friend told me a story pretty similar to this which focused my attention on my surroundings. It basically put me in a trance/meditative state of conciousness.

By the way, if you are interested, my totem animal was an otter. In most cases, your totem animal will vary from time to time depending on the circumstances of your life.

Otter: playful, prognostication, child-like, talent nurturing

Enjoy. If anything it was a decent display of imagination at least...

Respectfully
A2D

edit to add: I thought that to clarify exactly what a totemic animal is, I would add this elaboration from the second page of this very same thread.

First and foremost I will cover the common misconceptions concerning totem animals. The Native American tradition seems to be plagued by the notion that everyone is either an eagle or a wolf or some majestic animal, which is certainly not the case. A very diverse range of animals are commonly accepted as totemic animals. Additionally, there is no set standard to what the totemic animal represents. Different animals have different correspondences due to the different tribes.

I suppose in relevance to modern day life, totemic animals may be associated with spirit guides, guardian angels, and even the Jungian idea of Archetypes. Each animal has symbolic significance and bears lessons that either need to be imparted, or need to be learned through experience. The totemic animal might represent characteristics that a person already possesses or needs to learn in order to bring them closer to the light. In Jungian psychology there is a concept of facing the shadow, or our fears, in order that we can grow and become more knowledgeable about ourselves and our strenghts/weaknesses. In the same sense, that is what an totem animal represents. It embodies the principles we must use/learn that will undoubtedly have a substantial bearing on many aspects of life, particularly the spiritual aspect.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
there is acttually a slight difference in between totem animal and power animal. a totem animal is for the guidance of the dead people, a power animal is for the living.

best,

bertrand

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Ive actually never done this (yet) thankyou for this thread. Also, yeah Native Americans and those who have native american heritage do still interract and try to contact a totem (those who are deeply intouch and embrace their heritage i mean) Sometimes a totem can come to you without you having to 'search' for it. It all depends. Ive actually had weird dreams of trees w/ a Cheif's face carved into it and it was talking to me, another dream i had was of a thunderbird made of clouds, and the clouds also formed into a Native American version of Mt rushmore (the mountain w/ the presidents' heads carved on it) but instead of former POTUS' it was all the Great cheifs. I then saw a totempole w/ animals on it that i cannot identify, the totempole had wings and it flew through the sky, and i then saw the ground, i saw Native Americans forced to give up their ways of life and like as a white, or live on a Reservation. Apparently this dream was a message from the higher power.

What im saying is, you dont always have to look for a totem, sometimes they come to you, like it or not. But A2D, thankyou for this thread, i will try this when i get the chance and i'll see what happens.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bertand cantat

I have no idea where you get this information from. Perhaps you should refer to the word "totem". There is no special difference. Native beliefs explain that a totem animal is one that is with you for life, both in the physical and spiritual world. A "power" animal is not something I have ever heard of from any of my native counter-parts.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tyxquarra Xxxendra HoTTch

You're absolutely right. Sometimes they do come to you. This thread is for those that would like to take that first step if it hasn't already been made.

Thank you for your contribution.

Respectfully
A2D

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Slide!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7fee175396c3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

have you ever smelt an otter? i pity you.
if i had an animal guide or whatever, it would be godzilla!

no really! it would be a an lion with godzilla's head and fire breathe!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
My Totem animal is a Salamander, .... I think I'm going to name him Spanky.

Can Totem animals have totem animals as well ??? If so I would imagine Spanky's totem animal is probably some sort of raptor, ..... seeing that Spanky is such a D-bag.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

Oh c'mon now...this is serious business and you have to go and insinuate that I smell as an otter....I do like that nifty float on the back and crack open a clam trick though...I'm sure it'd come in handy.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Well...I suppose this is the last thread I will ever create. Thanks for the inspiration guys.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

well yes, i agree.

but breathing lightening fire and stompin' tiny people would be fun too. i would ride godzilla into the sunset.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

LOL So yours is a Penguin....or Darla???

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
No wonder the natives are content staying on the res...they don't get any respect.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
My animal came to me, and they usually find me wherever I live.

They talk to me, and I try to talk back to them to be friendly. I'm not sure what they say or if they can understand me, but it is nice to know we have a kinship.

To the great and wise owl, wherever I go I have found one. They've always been my guide.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Aww buddy, don't worry about it. People can be douches.

I personally find this interesting.

I've been working in front of a computer for years now, and I just took up prospecting and rockhounding last summer.

It is fantastic to get out into nature. I mean into the deep woods. I don't think I could handle venturing on in there alone, as I am a chicken sh*t city boy....

But with a buddy, some bear spray and a nice big knife, I'm cool.

Nature is beautiful. It's really great getting out there... and maybe next time, while my friend is panning for gold, I'll take some time, and go thru the meditation.

It's worth a shot. I hope my totem spirit is an eagle....

Chances are it will be something more like a crow.

Edit: spelling, grammar

[edit on 3-12-2009 by GioTheGreek]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GioTheGreek

Thank you for that. Just so you know.

Eagle: divine Spirit and connection to creator

Eagle feathers are used as ceremonial instruments and are considered to be symbols of power, healing and wisdom. The eagle represents a state of grace that is reached through inner work, understanding. The eagle also can remind you of your connection with the Great Spirit. It tells you that the universe is giving you the opportunity to fly above your life's worldly levels.

Sound like you?
Sounds fantastic...

edit: YOU MEANT CRRRRROW!

I don't know much about crows. I'd have to ask...

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

The crow is important to medicine. It might seem macabre to some but a spirit guide should know the gateways.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Interesting! I was once told mine was an Owl as well.... what does the Owl symbolize as one's totem animal??

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Well...I suppose this is the last thread I will ever create. Thanks for the inspiration guys.

Don't let 'em get to you, some of us really do appreciate stuff like this.
I don't have too much to say though, except star and flag and keep doing what you do!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   

I have often wondered if some animals do not seek out individual humans as well. Like a mutual attunement and connection to one another.

Several years ago, a doe was struck by a pickup truck and I told the driver I would stay with the doe until he could go get a gun to put it out of its misery. It took nearly an hour for him to return and during that time the doe came to point of no longer fearing my presence to actually trying to stay somewhat near me.

Not saying that she accepted me as another deer, but that I gone from a scary animal to a familiar one that belonged in the area.

Cats, in the other hand, are different example. Even ones that have lived their lives wild will approach me. Some will even offer themselves to be petted. It has been that way since I was a small child. Even sleeping kittens in a pet store will wake their cage mates before trying to interact through the glass separating us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join