It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Pieces of Redundant Dogmatic Religious Anti-Atheist Rhetoric

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Where is the Ask A Muslim thread anyway?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
You forgot what should have been the first one.
I am always hearing Christians saying,"Atheists are always claiming God
does not exist." I hate when they do that.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Quite right. It should be more accurately targeted. GODS (of any shape or form) don't exist.

I do not use the label Atheist for myself, though I understand why others do.

Though it must confuse some when they learn that my "faith" in my personal beliefs is as strong and as comforting as their own.
Which, in turn, leads me to respect (though not condone) their need to be subservient to a "higher" power.
We all seek security in different ways.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
my problem with die-hard "atheists":

They want to belong to the "faith community" so that they can denounce faith.

They believe in nothing - but want YOU to believe in the SAME nothing that they believe in, and if you refuse to listen - then you're just an idiot ass hole spouting Dogmatic Religious Anti-Atheist Rhetoric.

Most atheists i've ever talked to are nothing more than radical versions of what Atheism truly stands for.

Atheism stands for nothing. (literally)

This post stands for proving a reality that cannot be proven. This post stands to propagate "faith"

And by propagating the faith that there is NO GOD
you are doing the same damn thing as every other religious zealot on the planet.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Its funny I have only met one atheist who believes in "nothing" as in only blackness or some rubbish. I find that type of atheist equally moronic, however I don't agree with the post above me. The whole idea that atheists believe in nothing is the same as believing that their is a god that simply comes from nothing, simply preposterous.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

I must have quoted you oh wise one.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

simply preposterous

Preposterous? Let me wrap that for you. Preposterous is claiming God
does not exist.
To make the claim God does not exist, you would have to have full
knowledge of the universe. For me to believe that is impossible.
If you were to posses full knowledge of the universe. That would mean that you are God. God has lost his mind and is here on ATS debating his own existence.
Put that under your tree.
You are right about one thing.It is funny.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fmcanarney

Excuse me!?

reply to post by randyvs

First of all that's not what I said. Let me put my views in a little less general explanation. I do not believe in your or the majorities of religions view of what god or the purpose of "god". If there is an "intelligent designer" this being must have a home world and is not eternal. There is one thing that is eternal and that is time and possibly space. If there is to be one god like being then that means that just like us there must be an infinite amount of these beings with infinite amounts of different qualities therefore there cannot be only the existence of "a one god universe".

If you want a "god being" to exist then truly there is nothing I can say that could possible disprove your desire to have one without taking into account the infinity of space. However I would like you then to take into account the existence of other "gods" such as the spaghetti monster god.

Bottom line is that unless religions want to accept that there is not "one god" but many than maybe I would come around... only after they got rid of the stupid unfounded rules and rituals.

Now it all falls on the fact that currently there is no way to prove that this "one god" exists or his feats. Frankly if the christian god existed (whom is known to be infinitely intelligent and powerful) WHY TAKE SEVEN #ING DAYS TO CREATE EVERYTHING!? I mean if 'it' has that sort of power, why not seconds!? Why even seconds, why not have existence be instantaneous!?

Silly silly humans trying to find meaning for their lives only never realizing that for this plane of existence there is only here and now to be experienced THAT SHOULDN'T BE SPENT WORRYING ABOUT IMPRESSING SOME RIDICULOUSLY HUMANLY CONCEIVED DEITY! Such foolishness!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Silly silly humans trying to find meaning for their lives only never realizing that for this plane of existence there is only here and now to be experienced THAT SHOULDN'T BE SPENT WORRYING ABOUT IMPRESSING SOME RIDICULOUSLY HUMANLY CONCEIVED DEITY! Such foolishness
reply to post by GenLo

I can shorten that if you like.

Life is a space between two nothings. :bnghd:

[edit on 5-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
Most atheists i've ever talked to are nothing more than radical versions of what Atheism truly stands for.

That's because it's the Evangelical Atheist that "preaches" about their beliefs. Most of us don't talk that much about our beliefs.
I don't care what anyone else believes and I'm as repulsed by the zealot atheist as I am by the zealot religious follower. They give atheism a bad name, in my opinion.

Very interesting OP and discussion! A couple points I'd like to make:

On agnostics: I use the term atheist for myself because I don't believe there is an entity called "God". It's not an open question. I don't believe in a higher power. I could be wrong. That doesn't make me agnostic. That makes me human.
An agnostic is someone who thinks that the existence of a God is just as likely as the absence of one. That is not me. I don't believe there is a God any more than I believe there is a Santa Claus or a Tooth Fairy. I could be wrong on either point.

Spiritual Atheism: I am a spiritual atheist. I believe there is more to us than the physical. I believe in what's commonly termed "life after death". It just doesn't involve a God or an organizer or a leader. We don't need a leader. We are complete. I believe we ARE spiritual beings in possession of a mind and body. But something called God doesn't enter into it.

Atheists don't "stand for nothing". We ALL stand for something.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You seem to be a very level headed person with which to have this sort of discussion...i appreciate that

When i say "atheists stand for nothing" i don't mean they don't have a cause or don't believe in anything.

I mean that tehy stand for "NOTHING" as in - when you die - there is nothing. Thats it. Darkness. No after life, nothing.

In retrospect i should have been a little more clear on my interpretation of that..but it is what i mean.

Peaching about "nothing" Is the same thing as preaching about "God" when you are preaching to those who don't want to listen.

You and I both agree on that, which is one reason i love ATS.

Despite all the trolls and baiting, despite all of the "not so well thought out" threads created here *cough cough*

there *are* still peole with which to have proper conversations

Thank you for the refreshing take on how you view the universe. Its nice not to hear "you idiot sheep! you believe in God you dumb ass!!!"

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

You're welcome.
I respect other people and I know what it's like to be involved in religion. I was for the first half of my life. I realize that religion plays an important part in some people's life and I am in no position (nor do I have the desire) to criticize them for it.

I will criticize ANYONE who pushes their beliefs on other people. I think that's wrong.
We should all feel free to have and discuss our beliefs without taking offense or being nasty to each other.

But the myths discussed in the OP are important to realize. All atheists shouldn't be thrown in one basket any more than all Christians, Muslims, or all religious people should be.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent HereticI
don't believe there is a God any more than I believe there is a Santa Claus or a Tooth Fairy. I could be wrong on either point.

When you use the word "God," what exactly are you describing? Deities from religions? I'm sure you would just have semantic issues with someone who considers the "unified field" science is looking for as a creator of all intelligent life, and everything else, too, since it would give rise to all the fundamental forces and everything else known to us (including consciousness, you and me). Right?

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
[When you use the word "God," what exactly are you describing? Deities from religions?

Yes. It's the thing (the conscious being) that religious people believe in as the creator of all.

I'm sure you would just have semantic issues with someone who considers the "unified field" science is looking for as a creator of all intelligent life, and everything else, too, since it would give rise to all the fundamental forces and everything else known to us (including consciousness, you and me). Right?

That is not what is typically meant by "God" to most people. As I said above, most people think that "God" is a being. So, I wouldn't see unified field theory as equal to God. And if unified field theory turns out to be or explain what created us all, yes, I would never be able to call it "God", as that's not AT ALL what I was taught "him" to be. I would most definitely have semantic issues with that.

I hope I understood your question. But I'm not sure I did. If not, I'll try again.

At this time, my best guess is that we create ourselves. That doesn't mean that I think I'm "God". I don't believe in God.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
As I said above, most people think that "God" is a being. So, I wouldn't see unified field theory as equal to God.

Fair enough.

But then how do you define a "being"? What qualifies?

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

my problem with die-hard "atheists":

They want to belong to the "faith community" so that they can denounce faith.

Please explain further. I have faith in my belief (or what is commonly described as a lack thereof). I however regard it as individual and specific to me.
I could however be described by others as "die hard."

They believe in nothing - but want YOU to believe in the SAME nothing that they believe in, and if you refuse to listen - then you're just an idiot ass hole spouting Dogmatic Religious Anti-Atheist Rhetoric.

I believe in many things, some of which I'm sure you would deny.
It is patently impossible for one (open minded) person to believe in the exact same thing as another, except in the broadstrokes.

Atheism stands for nothing. (literally)

No not really. It denies a creator(god/gods), nothing more nothing less.
Everything else is fair game beyond that.

This post stands for proving a reality that cannot be proven. This post stands to propagate "faith"

Nothing can ever be proven fully. Some things simply appear to be somewhere between improbable and downright silly.Therefore not worthy of condoning based on "faith" alone.

And by propagating the faith that there is NO GOD
you are doing the same damn thing as every other religious zealot on the planet.

With the very notable expection of telling them they will suffer horribly unless they change their ways (predominately the descendant religions of the Abrahamaic faith, but the point is valid).

Free expression and the exchange of ideas is actually very human and is generally only frowned on by those wishing to control others through the liberal application of "doctrine".

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

What are you talking about? Where are you getting "nothing" from?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

What are you talking about? Where are you getting "nothing" from?

Ok I' ll post it again.

Silly silly humans trying to find meaning for their lives only never realizing that for this plane of existence there is only here and now to be experienced THAT SHOULDN'T BE SPENT WORRYING ABOUT IMPRESSING SOME RIDICULOUSLY HUMANLY CONCEIVED DEITY! Such foolishness

Silly silly humans. Wtf is wrong with you?

First of all that's not what I said. Let me put my views in a little less general explanation. I do not believe in your or the majorities of religions view of what god or the purpose of "god". If there is an "intelligent designer" this being must have a home world and is not eternal. There is one thing that is eternal and that is time and possibly space. If there is to be one god like being then that means that just like us there must be an infinite amount of these beings with infinite amounts of different qualities therefore there cannot be only the existence of "a one god universe".

Titus :1 -2 in the hope of eternal life which God who cannot lie promised
before time began.

Isaiah : 42- 5 Thus saith God the lord he that created the heavens.

My point is, no matter how high and mighty you make yourself out to be.
You are just a puny, insignificant nothing who, along with the rest of humanity, is making an attempt to live with out the father here to guide him.

Look how insignificant this whole planet is in comparison to the universe
even if the half baked lie of evolution were true to the fullest extent.

You can't see that some where something would have gone horribly wrong
like the earth getting sucked into the sun instead of balanced perfectly in space. It is assinine to believe the law of averages would not have caught up to us a long time ago.
That's why without God we are done for
if it is only us against the
universe. Gods will keeps the universe in line. If he walked away
do you know how long we would last? Think outside the universe not just the box.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
But then how do you define a "being"? What qualifies?

Oh, boy! Now we're getting deep.

I guess I would define "being" as a physical or spiritual entity which perceives its own existence. Something which is self-aware. And then God would be the "supreme being". The First. The One from whom all others originate. A single being that created all else. That is what most people mean when they talk about God, is it not? The creator and overseer of all that is?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Look at yourself before preaching for others to think outside the box.
The book you quote is simply a book, one amongst many religious texts that often disagree.

You say think outside the box ?

I ask you, in return, can you think outside the book ?

I for one do not "attempt" to live without anything. I live, I love, I laugh.

I simply believe in life BEFORE death and take it for what it is.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by EdCase512]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join