It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Pieces of Redundant Dogmatic Religious Anti-Atheist Rhetoric

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

It's awfully dim of YOU to think that you're somehow superior to ME because I believe in oh...just for kicks let's call it a "parallel universe" when you don't....

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Originally posted by Clearskies
I didn't get past this;

Given that we know that atheists are often among the most intelligent and scientifically literate people in any society,

Did I miss something?

Peace.

Yes, the fact that atheists are OBVIOUSLY more intelligent than religious people. The very nature of an atheist makes it so. It's awfully dim of people to be religious.

The Para.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Parallex]

Now that's just baiting. No need to be derisive.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Ahh.. I must respond with an old post of mine. Atheism is being looked down upon because of the "Evangelical Atheist" movement. Nobody likes a loud, obnoxious, know-it-all, insulting JackA$$ no matter WHAT they represent and the "Evangelical Atheist" movement is FULL of them.

The observed behaviors of the Evangelical Atheist is so similar to a religious fundamentalist that I almost believe it is a religion into itself as do many others.

Before the Evangelical Atheist crowd arrives and says "what is an Evangelical Atheist" or "there is no such thing" or "Atheist can't be Evangelical" let me define what we are talking about and you can associate whatever "title" or "definition"" that best fits this behavior or description.

What is an Evangelical Atheist:

www.urbandictionary.com...

Evangelical Atheist: An evangelical atheist is one who not only believes there is no god or other supreme being, but is obsessed with convincing everyone around them to become an atheist too, usually through hard-line intolerance (the kind they accuse other religions of). When cornered they usually try to put down their opponent's religion and bash them for 'blind faith', not realizing that their belief that there is no god is no more or less valid or provable than the other guy's belief that there is one. Not to be confused with normal atheists/agnostics, who for the most part just don't talk about religion and accept the beliefs of those around them as their prerogative. Evangelical atheists are particularly common on the Internet, as organized religion is generally accepted as part of 'the system' of global human society, and lately it's become cool on the Internet to hate 'the system'. Evangelical atheist usually seeks to "convert" borderline theists, often by engaging in debate with fundamentalists.

To continue with the "behavioral" definition:
www.catholicleague.org...

Nevertheless, some of the brightest minds in the English-speaking world right now argue that religion is the problem. And we know they’re the brightest minds because they keep telling us they are. The New Atheists are positively evangelical. They want to make a convert out of you, although if you’re a “dyed-in-the-wool faith-head” they’ll settle for peppering you with insults and sarcasm instead.

What is most worrying is that the New Atheists seem to gain the most followers precisely among the most ambitious and intelligent young people—the people who will be actively shaping government policy in the years to come. Attracted by the intellectual rebelliousness of the movement, young people fall for its insidious message: join us and you can be one of the smart people.

In the 1800s, Karl Marx and other thinkers systematized this anti-religious hostility. When the followers of Marx gained power in Russia, they were even more ruthless than the French revolutionaries in their suppression of religion. Similar horrors followed dogmatic Communism wherever it came to power.

What we call the “New Atheism” is a bit different than its predecessor. It’s more aggressive, and it has more power. The leaders of the sect are well placed in the academic world, and they have a strong determination to mold government policy.

The New Atheists see religion as a disease to be exterminated. Their dream, in short, is not a government neutral to religion, but a government actively hostile to religion. The evangelical atheists assume that religion must inevitably breed mindless fanaticism.

Do these behavioral and ideology descriptions sound familiar? If so, don't you get WHY people don't like this behavior?

Jeeze, I rest my case, your article starts out with: "Given that we know that atheists are often among the most intelligent and scientifically literate people in any society" (We're smart, your stupid... cough...) Yeah, you go right on believing that... or better yet, keep on telling EVERYONE ELSE that over, and over, and over, and over again.

Nobody likes a know-it-all self-promoting JackA$$ - "Join us and you can be one of the smart people!" Your idiots, we're smart!

Yeah.. your going to get a great welcome with behaviors like that.

Probably a thread killer here and don't expect a response from the "offended". The mirror does sometimes promote humility (we can only hope)... or as the old phrase goes "Sometimes the Truth Hurts".

[edit on 4-12-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Dawkins believes that aliens might have started all this.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GenLo

Great piece of writing here, shows many of the reasons Atheists and agnostics like me have come to doubt religion. I think if it wasn't for parental indoctrination there would be a lot more agnostics and atheists out there. Logic and critical thinking help too as does a sense of morality that isn't based on religious silliness. I always counted myself as a human first and a Christian second back when I was a Christian and I noticed that many were so consumed with their faith that anything outside of it was seen as a deception of the Devil. Science and history were tossed out in favor of believing the Bible wholesale.

I got out of there with my sanity intact (barely).

We can't be afraid to doubt or test our beliefs because if they aren't questioned how do we know they are true? Faith? Blind assumption based on spoon-fed doctrine nailed into our brains from birth? Think... if God is real science and logic and history would only help prove it.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Dawkins is free to believe whatever he wants. I just ask that I also am given that right.

edit to add: Where's the proof in that!?

You know how people who post clearly faked videos on youtube of ET's or UFO's discredit the UFOlogy community? That's what most religious people do as well. Just as the true UFOlogy community looks down upon them, I frown at what people who are supposed to be my brethren have brought to my faith...

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Agree2Disagree]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Yes, but it's ironic that Dawkins is also one of the biggest mouthpieces for atheism!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I don't get it. That's contradictory to LOGIC.

ETs but no "God". Creators...but no Creator. Intelligence, but no intelligent design. Life outside of Earth, but no life outside of the physical realm....Life outside of our knowledge...but no room for God...I can't stomach that nor can I fathom the logic that goes behind it....

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by paranoiaFTW

You didn't get past the word "given?" Must be your Christian sized brain.

Wow! You see that, Clearskies? Your brain is the size of an entire Christian! You must be smarter than Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius. Must be sweet!!

Or maybe paranoiaFTW is just having problems constructing coherent insults? Nah, that couldn't be. On the other hand, he thought the problem was with the word 'given' and proceeded to quote the entire line you had a problem with. Hmmmm. You post an entire line you have a problem with and he/she thinks you have a problem with a single word.

Let's hope that his/her post isn't an indicator of his/her intelligence. It would seem to be difficult going through life with such a handicap.

But what do I know, I'm just a dumb Christian. I'm going to go back to decrying the scientific method and burning books.

See ya!

Eric

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

Dawkins believes that aliens might have started all this.

Errr, no.
richarddawkins.net...

My concern here is that my science fiction thought experiment -- however implausible -- was designed to illustrate intelligent design's closest approach to being plausible. I was most emphaticaly NOT saying that I believed the thought experiment. Quite the contrary. I do not believe it (and I don't think Francis Crick believed it either). I was bending over backwards to make the best case I could for a form of intelligent design. And my clear implication was that the best case I could make was a very implausible case indeed. In other words, I was using the thought experiment as a way of demonstrating strong opposition to all theories of intelligent design.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

No, I saw his interview and he was in NO way demonstrably, sarcastic nor trying to educate people about absurdity!!!!
He was caught RED-HANDED, believing in a possible higher power!
No two ways about it!
He had an open mind for a sec and he recanted!!!!!

I think this is the interview, but I don't have Javascript enabled, so i dont know........

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Clearskies]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Remain on topic. Do not discuss each other - please.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
An atheist refuses to blieve in a power/intelligence greater than themselves.

Hell most scientists now are asserting it requires more faith to believe in evolution than creation.

Evoluion says that a tornado went through a airplane junk yard and left a 767 jumbo jet, full of people and fuel sitting on the runway.

Creationist says who made this.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Somewhat true, which is why I left Rational Response Squad after they ridiculed me for my "spiritual" beliefs on their live broadcast channel. However it was highly entertaining to watch them squash christian revelers or trolls.

Arrogant atheists? Well who wouldn't enjoy beating missionaries at their own game, I know I did. Besides the expression of the arrogant atheist is an expression formulated by the oppression that only in recent years has started to slowly dissolve. I mean such free expression is just as easily comparable to the gay community. Highly annoying but they have come a long way in manifesting some sort of social acceptance and so in certain areas or at certain times they arrogantly display their umm... faggotry.

If you oppress a social community that eventually gains its freedoms, its going to flaunt it, just instead of ridiculous colors and an estranged fashion, its facts and reason.

I am sure some one will burn me for the comparison but I thought it was humorous and true.

Sorry, but if you're going to believe in an invisible being that says hes all loving and all forgiving and if you don't bend to his will you get an eternity of hell fire, then I think your probably best suited as a blissful member of the NWO.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I am a Christian and my husband is an Atheist. I have never met a person so open minded to all possibilities.

My husband once told me... "Do I believe that it is possible that a monkey can come out of somebody's ass? Yes! I have seen many weird and unexpected things in my life already to know that anything can happen! But do I believe it is likely? Of course not."

Contrary to the belief that Atheists are arrogant, I find them very humble. When asked about the universe, our origin, etc. my husband's answer is "I do not know, we are yet to discover the answer." while religious people pretend to know everything about the world.

They or at least most of them do not pretend to hold and know the truth, while religious people believe that they know the "truth", and sometimes even think that their group has exclusive rights to it.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Couldn't agree more! Ah yes I remember my period of indoctrination as a youth. Luckily one of my parents told me it was ok to believe in anything I wanted to and never forced me to go to church when I was with her. Thanks Mom! Interestingly enough when I was at such a young age I still never felt comfortable in the church environment and Sunday School. I guess reason hit me at an early age.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

How is that ironic!? Seriously, please don't be like my friend and keep saying things are ironic when they really aren't.

Hey that car is blue!

No, its red...

But either way its sold by Ford! How ironic!

No... *sigh*

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by fmcanarney

Man I like it when people star utter garbage.

Its an amazing metaphor you made. BTW do you have any source material for where you found such a quote or did you just quote mine from one of the evangelical propaganda films???

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by boniknik

Indeed, in my personal life I am very humble in my beliefs, its my online personality that generally screams for one to be arrogant. For me religion is one of those "do not speak until spoken to" sort of discussions. Like my best friend is an evangelical and like I said, were best friends, generally because of my humbleness since he occasionally attempts to throw religious rhetoric my way which I either choose to ignore or softly correct with euphemisms or other means.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I apologise.

The Christian agenda that has popped up here on ATS never fails to get under my skin, so I'm natually inclined to be derisive, and take any opportunity I can to show Christians up for what they are.

The most amazing thing is - I don't CARE if someone is Christian, Buddhist, Taoist, whatever. I just wish it was mandated that they can't bring it onto this forum, and constantly try to 'Spread the Good News'. This forum, to work most effectively, should promote education, not indoctrination. I 'believe' in all sorts of wonderful and wacky things, but do I impose them on my fellow ATS contributors? No.

I don't see ANY OTHER RELIGION doing what the Christians are on ATS. We don't get Muslim preachers (they'd be shouted off the board), we don't get Jain priests giving existentialist sermons, we don't get Jedi monks appearing to school us in the use of the force, we don't see Confucian individuals imparting platitudes.... the list goes on.

The OP when he posted this 'Atheist' list up on ATS was directly challenging these Christians efforts to demonise and marginalise Atheists. I just wish ATS would put a stop to the Christian takeover, rather than the Atheist members constantly having to battle these fundamentalists.

The Para.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join