It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Semi Straight lines found on Mars. Natural or Unnatural?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Semi Straight lines found on Mars. Natural or Unnatural?

Recently I was exploring mars and I came upon a dotted straight line going diagonal downhill. I want to call it a boulder trail, but this trail is going diagonal and not straight down like physics should suggest. Following the line all the way down the hill it stops at an object that I can not identify.

I would like some opinions on what exactly this .2 mile long line is on mars.
Open Google Earth. Click on view, then explore then mars.

Here are the coordinates . 5° 9'55.40"N 48°11'4.37"W (just paste in search box.)

I was also able to get 3 screen shots as follows.

(Note the yellow line on the screen shots are a mesuring line inserted by me for reference.)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f3a2d475ff4c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/55d2a83f3d17.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac1f5670819b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Could that not be the trail of a stone rolling down a hill?

Or possibly a martian unicycle track?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
S & F

Very interesting.

It could be a really big 'something' going for his/her/it's annual 2 mile long walk.

Im probably gonna just sit back and let the experienced members of this site sort this one out.

Go find Man, nice work.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It does look like the tracks you'd see from someone walking across a desert.

Doesn't look like rover tracks.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Also, didn't the rovers land in big beachball airbags that rolled for quite a distance before the "petals" opened and activated the rover?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Well from the height that the image is taken the object must have been huge!
Curiously though, the line actually curves as it reaches the crater - therefore going around it. Seems a bit weird.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It's a pebble being blown along the soft ground, Mars does have an atmosphere eh..

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

the line actually curves as it reaches the crater - therefore going around it. Seems a bit weird.

Good observation I did not notice it at first, but it does avoid the crater.

And another thing is on the 3rd picture down I can almost see shadows being cast by the dots.

Mutant Giant Ants on Mars??? Hmmmmm

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Looking at it at first glance makes me think of fence posts as seen from above. That sure would be a crazy thing if it was that.... I have seen a few aerial photos that show very similar displays.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Something similar to these has been psoted before, and phage had a good explanation of them... however I don't remember what it was, and can't ifnd the thread?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Depending on the shape of the boulder and the slope, boulders can roll diagonally. I don't know how accurate the elevation model is for that area but the actual slope could be pretty different from the way it appears on Google Mars and the track could be more downslope than it appears. The intermittent nature of the track is caused by the boulder bouncing.

The crater is likely to have a raised rim (again, not apparent because of the elevation model) which caused the boulder to turn as it approached it.

The boulder which made the track is visible at the end of it.

[edit on 12/2/2009 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
A boulder seems a more likeable explanation. The line is too straight for it to be from someone walking across the landscape. Try walking across desert land in a perfect straight line as seen in 1 of those pictures.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Really Phage? A boulder with an intermittent pattern like that from that elevation? Eh...I don't know.... Wouldn't that be quite a "bounce" for a boulder to make from this reference point? I mean...c'mon....really?

I'm no expert but...hey...i calls em as i sees em

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

So do I.

[edit on 12/3/2009 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Aha! Thank you. Those images do make it apparent. I was only basing my statements off the OPs pictures.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Even with those images it still doesn't add up.

Unless we can find out how close that Mars picture is taken and the size of the lines then you can only speculate.

top topics

join