It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the iPhone have enough game to take on Nintendo and Sony?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
In this corner, we have the iPhone, a sleek touch screen cellphone and Web browser, made by Apple. Mascot: CEO Steve Jobs. Units sold: around 22 million. Over 400 games on the appstore.

In the other corner, we have the Nintendo Dual Screen (DS), with two touch screens, but no phone. Mascot: a plumber named Mario. Units sold: around 64.6 million.

And in the wings, we have Sony's PlayStation Portable (PSP), a miniature version of the iconic PlayStation game console, with Internet phone calling via Skype. Mascot: Daxter, a pint-sized furball with attitude. Units sold: around 32.1 million.

There has been some speculation that the iPhone, which is receiving a big upgrade in both hardware and software, could be a DS and PSP killer. I think its only a matter of time what about you?

[edit on 2-12-2009 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Well your numbers are off. Before the 3gs was even released, there were 22 million iPhones sold. That doesn't count iPod Touches sold either, which run the same OS, and thusly, the same games. For the sake of argument, I'll assume there has been about 10 million of those sold.

There is no comparison at all however. The DS and PSP are made to play games. While they also perform media functions, the iPhone is much less dedicated to gaming. It is more a media device than a game console.

Also, the cost of games is a huge turnoff for iPhone programmers. You simply cannot charge 50 bucks for an app. It won't sell at all. PSP and DS games fly off the shelves at that price all the time, and so the game companies spend much more time ironing out any problems.

I think Apple does well by not pigeonholing their device in any specific market, but because they don't, its simply not as powerful at any one thing.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I knew those numbers sounded off i apologize for that. i know the iphone is making strides in gaming.

join