It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Maker Buys Quit-Smoking Company

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Cigarette Maker Buys Quit-Smoking Company

abcnews.go.com

Reynolds American today confirmed news that will leave many scratching their heads: The country's no. 2 tobacco company and the maker of Camel cigarettes will buy a Swedish maker of products designed to help smokers quit.

Reynolds American said it will pay $44 million for Niconovum, which makes nicotine gum and other nicotine replacement products designed to wean smokers off cigarettes.

These moves could help get the companies off "an unsustainable path" and compensate for falling cigaret
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Forget shame on the tobacco company
Shame on them for so long already

shame on the quit-smoking company
I guess money talks like nothing else eh?

Key Niconovum Ab Financials2008 Sales (mil.) $1.6
www.hoovers.com...

The company makes 1.6Mil a year and got bought for $44 Million?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Unless....well....actually the first thing that crossed my mind is that they are buying it to close it down.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
With all the ridiculus taxation on cigarettes and the smoking bans popping up all over the place the tobacco companies are losing too much money and this is simply an attempt on their part to increase their revenue. Since so many people are giving up cigarettes they know that many of their customers are now spending their money on smoking cessation products, they simply want a piece of that pie too. So this way they get us coming and going.

However I think there's something a little more devious going on here......

Sweanor said Reynolds could find new profit from Niconovum products by transforming them into longer-term nicotine substitutes that consumers could use for months or years instead of weeks.

I think that's the key reason here, they figure they can start a new market by getting those who are attempting to stop smoking hooked on the cessation products.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is so common and it even makes sense. Who knows their product better?
Donald Rumsfeld owned the company that manufactures Sweet and Low as well as the company that makes the Prozac many people are finally prescribed to balance the schizophrenic-like side effects produced by the artificial sugar, Sweet and Low.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
They aren't buying it to kill you or to close it down. For every person smoking, there's another trying to quit. I'm sure there's a lot of money to be made in these sort of companies and I'm sure the tobacco company knows that, hence why they're buying it as a second source of strong income.

Although it is ironic.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I think you are right. In fact you make me think of something else. Why encourage people to simply give up cigarettes without providing a replacement product and making them think they need it to quit?
Many lawsuits REQUIRE cigarette manufacturing companies to be painfully truthful in some advertising campaigns...As long as they have to scare all but the densest (who will continue to purchase the cigarettes anyway) they may as well scare people toward their own smoking cessation product!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I predict a huge profit year for cigarette makers in 2012.

I predict a huge profit year for quit smoking company in 2013.

This cigarette maker is intent on making profits one way or the other.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

You are trusting of them, apparently, while I harbor nothing that even remotely resembles trust to these companies. These are the same companies that paraded "lights", all the while bumping up the addictive qualities of the cigarette, unbeknowst to the consumer.

It's dispicable, and there is no reason to believe they are making an honest deal now. Unless, of course, you base your opinion on some information you haven't linked here?

Whatever is the motive, you can be sure it is not to "help" the consumer.

new topics

top topics

join