It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reynolds (Camel Cigarettes) pays $44 mill for Niconovum (nicotine replacement products)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Hi ATS, not as cool as a CGI UFO vid but still this one is interesting!

Cigarette Maker Buys Quit-Smoking Company ABC News

Reynolds American today confirmed news that will leave many scratching their heads: The country's no. 2 tobacco company and the maker of Camel cigarettes will buy a Swedish maker of products designed to help smokers quit.

Reynolds American said it will pay $44 million for Niconovum, which makes nicotine gum and other nicotine replacement products designed to wean smokers off cigarettes. The firm was founded by Karl Olov Fagerström, who the company's Web site trumpets as "one of the world's leading experts on smoking cessation and nicotine dependence."

Purchasing the company "runs totally counter to the mission statement of (Reynolds American subsidiary) R.J. Reynolds," Gregory Connolly, a Harvard School of Public Health professor who researches tobacco products, recently told ABCNews.com. "I'm astounded."

This is wrong on many levels!!

I just don't understand what they're playing at, are they spending $44 Million just to put the competition out of business?

Are they suddenly growing a conscience?

Are they aware of some law change that will affect smokers, a law banning cigarettes entirely perhaps that will make their new acquisition a good move?

There maybe a hint in further down in the report:

Sweanor said Reynolds could find new profit from Niconovum products by transforming them into longer-term nicotine substitutes that consumers could use for months or years instead of weeks.

Maybe they've seen the writing on the wall and are looking to find ways of replacing one addiction with others!

All the best ATS!

[edit on 2-12-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Seems like BigPharma has set a precedence of selling both the disease and the cure. What's next?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
Hi ATS, not as cool as a CGI UFO vid but still this one is interesting!

Cigarette Maker Buys Quit-Smoking Company ABC News

Reynolds American today confirmed news that will leave many scratching their heads: The country's no. 2 tobacco company and the maker of Camel cigarettes will buy a Swedish maker of products designed to help smokers quit.

Reynolds American said it will pay $44 million for Niconovum, which makes nicotine gum and other nicotine replacement products designed to wean smokers off cigarettes. The firm was founded by Karl Olov Fagerström, who the company's Web site trumpets as "one of the world's leading experts on smoking cessation and nicotine dependence."

Purchasing the company "runs totally counter to the mission statement of (Reynolds American subsidiary) R.J. Reynolds," Gregory Connolly, a Harvard School of Public Health professor who researches tobacco products, recently told ABCNews.com. "I'm astounded."

This is wrong on many levels!!

I just don't understand what they're playing at, are they spending $44 Million just to put the competition out of business?

Are they suddenly growing a conscience?

Are they aware of some law change that will affect smokers, a law banning cigarettes entirely perhaps that will make their new acquisition a good move?

There maybe a hint in further down in the report:

Sweanor said Reynolds could find new profit from Niconovum products by transforming them into longer-term nicotine substitutes that consumers could use for months or years instead of weeks.

Maybe they've seen the writing on the wall and are looking to find ways of replacing one addiction with others!

All the best ATS!

[edit on 2-12-2009 by kiwifoot]

no what you fail to realise is that there is that nicotine gum and nicotine replacement therapies for people who have an 'addiction' (I smoke and im not addicted I choose to smoke) People who cant quit without using a nicotine replacement therapy are the ones who will relapse.

But nicotine replacement therapies have been proven to help barely at all.

In fact the success rate for quitting using nicotine replacement therapies is ridiculously low, and the profit margins are high for the gum and replacement therpapy treatments, a higher profit margin than that of cigarettes which the price is mainly TAX.

What the company wants is the government to subsidise the replacement therapies by having the government pay for half of the medicine and have more people buy the replacement therapy, then fail at quitting, revert back to smoking then try and quit again.

By doing this the person thinks "oh I can afford to quit now" what they dont know is the success rate of gum and patches ect is just simply 'failure'.

The FDA wants Electronic cigarettes banned for a few reasons, a) it would stop that happening, b) less profit since they are less expensive c) healthier d) a smoker is more inclined to use an E-cigarette as the effects are instant and the flavour is more pleasant.

other concern is the E-cigarettes can be used to help treat h1n1... but thats just another reason... as I said there are probably ALOT of reasons.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
not wrong at all,
capitalism,and smart capitalism too.
If some thing is destroying your investments and it can't be stopped join it.

nobody made you smoke,I just quit 2 months ago.
nobody is responsible for my actions but me.

There are rocks on the ground outside my apartment,I will gladly sell them to you and I don't really care if you hit yourself with them.
If it is a problem for you I'll sell you clay or maybe a nerf ball so you can wean yourself off the rocks slowly.
Am I a bad person for this?

now get some sleep citizen all wage slaves are expected bright and early 9am
:-)

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Honestly I'm surprised that they didn't do this before, anti-smoking products are about 10-20 times as expensive as smoking itself is and they rarely work. This move will potentially dramatically increase their profits.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolutionary-Jeffe
Honestly I'm surprised that they didn't do this before, anti-smoking products are about 10-20 times as expensive as smoking itself is and they rarely work. This move will potentially dramatically increase their profits.

Exactly.

And the FDA is trying to ban E-Cigarettes as it threatens not only tobacco, but an actual successfull nicotine replacement therapy with medical applications as well.

Sounds a little bit similar to the case for marijuana.... but im not advocating that on here.

Im thinking of importing some tobacco seeds, F###K the government, they can keep all their nasty chemicals out of what I smoke.

top topics

join