It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fears mount over giant carp reaching Great Lakes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This is a story I was hoping never to hear about....

link

Mod edit: to fix link

[edit on 2 Dec 2009 by Hellmutt]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I saw this on the news this morning and thought how odd it must be to go around wiping out numerous species without even trying and then to be held hostage by some fish you actually want to eradicate.

It's all so stupid.

Carp is a fine food fish. Just chow down.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I am a fisherman and for years this has been a threat to the great laes ecosystem. The fact that they are publicly admitting that "some fish" might have escaped indicates to me that they have reached lake Michcigan. What will happen next is the destruction of the fish stocks in all the great lakes since these fish consume everything and gro to be over 75lbs. they will also become a threat to water skiiers and the like since they like to jump out of the water. Ever been hit with a 50lb fish at 40mph??? I don't want to.........

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I don't believe that pleasure boats powered by gasoline should be used on one of the world's greatest freshwater reserves, so if a 75 pound carp slams into a water skiier, then so be it.

As for fish stocks, the only answer are fish hatcheries- and a lot of them.

People should respect the great lakes and that includes controlling chemical farms near it.

A 75 pound carp should provide a lot of fishmeat and fertlizer.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
similar things are happening all over the world to be honest. Many lakes in the UK have been swamped with Pike(nicknamed freshwater sharks for their huge teeth and eating habits) and Perch and other parts of the world treat rainbow trout as a pest too.

It is a shame that some waters cant be left as they are naturally meant to be.

waters here in New Zealand have been ravaged by RockSnot. its like an algae that grows out of control taking the oxygen out the water and has spread like wildfire. fish stocks have been almost completely wiped out of some beautiful rivers and lakes.

we are slowly but surely ruining most places on earth.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Down south, we consider carp a trash fish. I tried to eat one once, and the more I chewed, the bigger it got. Perhaps it wasn't prepared correctly, but I've never spoken to any fisherman who would eat a carp.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
similar things are happening all over the world to be honest. Many lakes in the UK have been swamped with Pike(nicknamed freshwater sharks for their huge teeth and eating habits) and Perch and other parts of the world treat rainbow trout as a pest too.

...same thing happened in Africa, lake Victoria, and there is plenty of perch which sustains a lot of people. Some species were lost, that's true.

I think carp ain't too bad a fish to eat, when properly prepared. Maybe we are at the threshold of fishing industry boom... And fish is good for you heart.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i haven't eaten carp, But as stated earlier If prepared right It's supposed to be OK to eat. Asian carp are not that great to eat

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I live near the BlueWater Bridge in Michigan, across from Sarnia Canada.
The view is sickening. Talk about chemicals poisoning the waters.

Check out our lovely view. The smell is noxious. You can probably smell it from the photo.

We don't eat the fish caught in these waters

I found this at Ask .com Image Search
File Name: building_21.jpg Size: 800x600 pixels
Image URL: i1.trekearth.com...
Go to Page: i1.trekearth.com...

P.S. Carp needs to be smoked for it to be palatable. The ones we have in the small lakes and rivers also are very bony thus smoking works best.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by azureskys]

[edit on 2-12-2009 by azureskys]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Thats how evolution works;
Maybe we shouldnt be messing with the process;
and i wouldnt mind eating one of these 75 pound fish

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

That's kinda wild.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by pavil]

[edit on 2-12-2009 by pavil]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

What the f**k!!!! That video is totally insane!

Is this the Bayou or the Amazon?

As an avid w skier and wkboarder in MI, currently, it hurts enough when you get hit by a dragon fly while skiing.

Flying fish, forget it. Body Armor.

Sorry, I'm not eating carp unless I am starving, literally. Bottom feeders and nasty. When I was a kid, we used to go fishing with dough on a hook to catch carp.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I'll eat carp. It's all in how you cook it. I would tell you how, but my grandmother never told me. I think carp is disgusting except for what ever she does to make it.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I have a buddy who is out of work and was looking into staring a carp farming buisness. He talked to a guy who is currently in the biz. It is a ton of work 8-10 hours a day 5-6 days a week and a gross income of 90k a year before biz expenses and taxes. He is pulling about 2500 to 3000lbs of carp out of a section of the Illnios River per WEEK!! Carp, regardless of species, is only turned into gifilta-fish (sp?) one of a very few kosher forms of seafood. The small smoked carp you can only find in asian grocery stores is imported. Selling carp to fertilizer company pays even less. Another problem with commericial carp farming is obtaining permits, inspections from the Dept of Natural Resources, and dealing with by-catch. My favorite way of dealing with them is bow-fishing. shoot the overgrown suckers with an arrow when they jump out of the water. (Only because using a shotgun isn't safe, probaly is n't legal either.

So much for game-fishing in the great lakes.

edit for wishful thinking

[edit on 4-12-2009 by jacksmoke]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Maybe the carp is just being used as an excuse to put poison in a water supply.

Also Wednesday, Illinois officials will dump a toxic chemical into a nearly 6-mile stretch of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal.

I'd be more worried about that then the carp.

[edit on 4/12/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
What.. giant Carp? "Honey, get my pole, it's gonna be a long weekend!"

Electrified fence? "Honey, get the Net and make room in the freezer!"

Oh darn, now the Asians are even taking over our Fish!

Seriously.. they are going to dump a toxic chemical into a 6 mile stretch of canal? What is the backlash on That!? Seems to me that's a bigger story! Idiots!

So, what do we really know about these fish? Is the water salt water or brackish? ( brackish is a mixture of fresh and salt water if you don't know)

Where I live we have a brackish lake that has lots of big fish. Ever see a 4 foot long catfish? Ever see a 50 lbs black drum?

These carp would really have to be huge to make a dent in our fish. What natural predators do they have? Could this be just some government agency crying wolf?

EDIT: I just saw the videos and I can't stop laughing! That little fish is what is causing all this mess? They may seem big to you guys but down south we call that a fish fry.

Let me tell you.. I don't care how big the fish is.. if you stand in the middle of them jumping around your going to get hurt - that's just dumb. Small jumping mullets can hurt you if you get in their way. A nice Jack fish can hit you at over 60 miles an hour and rip a hole in your gut.

So you happen to have a lot of slightly larger than average fish jumping around. Teach everyone to use cast nets and declare free open fishing on all 'giant' carp. the problem will be solved in no time.

PRS395, You remind me... Whats the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?

One is a scum sucking bottom dweller and the other's a fish!

[edit on 4-12-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ARNOMANNN

Well, that's interesting. Environmentalists decide to dump toxins into a sanitation canal in order to prevent the strong fish from beating down all the weak fish. This is ironic on so many levels.

So... environmentalists still believe in NOT ruining sanitation, right?

Environmentalists still believe in natural selection... right?

What -are- Environmentalists anyway? Envy - iron - mentalist? Ah! They envy strong, intelligent people!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
its called natural selection.

influenced by man or not, if carp don't kill native fish something else will.
trying to stop evolution is ironic.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Seems you may have been right, I was watching Sky News this morning (04 December) and they said that thousands of dead fish have been removed from the canal since the poison was released - NO CARP amongst them!

[edit on 4/12/09 by wiser3]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
its called natural selection.

influenced by man or not, if carp don't kill native fish something else will.
trying to stop evolution is ironic.

Natural selection in a species that mankind introduced accidentely into an ecosystem?

These carp eat almost half their weight per day, basically just outeating other species. They will takeover any waterway with their eating ability. Wildlife management has done similar things with other invasive species. Some sportsmen like to stock small lakes with Pike, not realising that they will basically multiply, eat all the other fish in the lake then starve to death, leaving the lake devoid of fish till it is restocked.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join