It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong with schools?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
My sons phone got stolen 2 days ago.
The school dont give a crap!
Education Dept said to call the police.

I was told the schools aren't allowed to search bags or pockets (like they did when I was at school) because this is an invasion of privacy.

Talking to my son and one of his friends last night, there is a kid who was paid $10 to keep his mouth shut about who took and who has the phone.

So, today I am off to the school. I will sit at the school until the phone is located. I will be calling the police to have the kid charged at the school if I have to, and I WILL NOT LEAVE.

Any suggestions for anything that would help my cause.

I am going in with the fact that if you walk into a shop with a bag there are signs that say you will surrender your bag for inspection upon leaving the store. Why do the kids have more rights than us?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
My suggestion is to get a phone with GPS enabled.

There are ways to track them on the internet.

This could also be for your child's safety.

You should always write down the phones "EIN" on the inside of the phone where the batteries are.

This will help with your service provider when reporting it stolen.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Good luck to ya...nothing more than allowing kids to be bad again it seems

we really gotta start teaching more responsibility and consequence

-Kyo

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It's shocking at the lengths schools go to these days to become 'do gooders' for the parents who don't/won't discipline their children. Those of us who do are brushed aside.

When my son (12) was set upon by a group of three lads in OUR garden (which my husband and I had to break up) I called the police only to be told by the 'I'm not a real policeman' (PCSO) that they sent round that they wanted to stop villainizing children for playground antics.

Shocked! You bet I was. Because I wouldn't let it go I was asked to attend mediation and the other family didn't turn up.

I got a call the next day from the srg. saying "Sorry, the CPS have thrown this back at us. They want us to arrest the kids."

Will watch to see how this pans out for you. Hopefully you'll get the outcome you deserve.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MissMegs

when i was in school, and we had these things happen...nothing like school yard justice to get kids to straighten up and fly right.

a group of us would corner the person, scare them into "finding" the stolen object, and that was that.

but that is dependent on having a small group that people respect and can intimidate.

no one wants to see someone get their stuff taken, and when you have a lead on who has it, you go after it.

im assuming it wont pan out well with the school, so go after the parents. embarass them and the kid will sing.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
A couple years back I had my Ipod, cell phone, and wallet stolen out of my locker while I was in P.E. and my friend (whose locker was next to mine) had the same thing happen at the same time.

The School told us there was nothing we could do because we signed a contract at the beginning of the year saying the school wouldn't take responsibility if anything valuable was stolen. They basically told us we were up a creek.

I asked around about someone selling ipods or cell phones and heard a guy had a few for sale. Someone said they knew they were all stolen. As it turns out the kid and his buddies stole things like this fairly regularly.

Oddly enough these were all Hispanic (mexican) kids who also caused a lot of other trouble in the school (fights, constant disruption of class, etc. etc.).

I'm not saying ALL the hispanic kids were bad. I'm saying that this group of hispanic kids were the plight of the school. They kind of shut everyone else out and if you walked near where they hung out they'd stare you down. I figure it must be a cultural thing of poor hispanics because i know plenty of poor white and black kids who never did anything of this sort.

THIS WASN'T RACIST. IT WAS AN OBSERVATION. DON'T JUMP DOWN MY THROAT ABOUT IT.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Simple solution, get the child a clunky, ugly cell phone that nobody in their right mind would want. You still have communication, nobody wants his phone.

The idea of taking something worth over $100 to school was as ludicrous in my day as it is today... Most kids have a tendency to lose things often, especially expensive items, with no real appreciation for how much these things cost.

posted on Dec, 21 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hmm, you know sometimes schools are just naff at looking after kids. And you know why? Because they're not aloud too. It's rediculous, and the way it is, kids just laugh at authority, especially in schools.

If that phone was stolen, I'm sure you probably won't see it again. I'm in the sixth form, so memories of school life are quite fresh. I can remember a PE lesson about three years ago, I always hated it because you had to leave all your belongings outside in the corridor, no lockers, no nothing. We had a substitute teacher, and most of those are so insecure that they just stare at the clock and let you get on with it.

I can't remember why, but I had to go back to my bag. It was open and my uniform was laying over the floor of the corridor. My keys, bus pass, and four pound coins were gone. I go back to the teacher and it's 'What do you want me to do?' so that was that.

I hope you get it back, because it's never nice knowing that someone has taken something from you or someone you know/love. Good luck.

Rama D. on substitute teachers and stealing

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Sorry but that is the way of life. Had a purse stolen a few times.

If you don't want it lost, you don't take it.

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
it wasnt "stolen" it was lost. if it was stolen then your son knows who took it from him. he lost someone found it. it happens.

blowing this a bit out of proportion

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
What is wrong with schools is what is wrong with society.

There is no respect, and there is a "me me me" attitude.

I feel very sorry for teachers. Teachers are there to teach - but now they are expected to be surrogate parents, surrogate police, surrogate social workers, surrogate phsychiatrists and surrogate phsychologists, and to cope with kids who are hungry.

top topics

join