It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Does It Mean To Be "Free?"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
To you, what does "free" encompass?

To me, free means:

Ability to act based on choices that I have made based on my own intuition, not peer pressure.

Ability to live without fear of being exploited and tricked.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
Ability to live without fear of being exploited and tricked.

The right to do something about it expediently if I am.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sadly, I don't think we will know until we die. Nobody is ever really free, you know?

~S&F~

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
If you lived my life, of always being monitored, to be free would be to just not be monitored, and i could have my own thoughts in peace and quiet.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Who's monitoring you andy?

You say the same thing on every thread.... in fact it's all you say.

It's boring mate.
Can't you back it up with something?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
My favorite understanding of true freedom is: Being able to say no without penalty.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This is a very good question and I am heartsick to realise that I cannot answer this question because in this reality I was enslaved before I had even been born and never knew what it was to be free after birth so I have no frame of reference to fall upon.

When my death comes and if I am still self aware after the career of fleshy breathing has ended, I hope this new consciousness will be a free consciousness and I will learn what the word means.

If there is nothingness then that is still good, freedom to convert and to return to the stars is probably the best of all freedoms.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
To take any action I choose which does not interfere with anyone else's ability to take any action such that they may choose or cause harm unto any other person that is not myself and to accept the natural* consequences of such action I may choose.

*Natural as in not man-made consequence such as anything related to extortion upon my person and property enforced by manufactured law and threat of bodily and property harm.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Being free is living without fear.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
My favorite understanding of true freedom is: Being able to say no without penalty.

So true, simple, but true.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
only moral obligations to society, free will, everything is a choice.

I have a pic somewhere of a text spray painted on a wall, it reads 10.000 pharao's 6 billion slaves.

The truth is harsh.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I like the clip at the end of "a song for Assata" when Assata Shakur is talking about freedom.

Freedom! You askin me about freedom. Askin me about freedom? I'll be honest with you. I know a whole more about what freedom isn't than about what it is, cause I've never been free. I can only share my vision with you of the future, about what freedom is. Uhh, the way I see it, freedom is-- is the right to grow, is the right to blossom. Freedom is -is the right to be yourself, to be who you are, to be who you wanna be, to do what you wanna do

Also.... my fav song about "Freedom" cos i'm very musical

This sums it all up perfectly.... it's beautiful

[edit on 2/12/09 by blupblup]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Freedom is an ability to see the beauty in a flower with out the use of sight, freedom is the ability to hear silence in the middle of the night, freedom is the idea to go where and when you please, and freedom is the way you hang out amongst friends, with ease.

Saying NO without fear of penalty was the best response I have read so far.

Edit to add; freedom can be thought of as.... to love without regret

[edit on 2-12-2009 by daddio]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You're only free when you're no longer on earth. Life is confinement.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Is there a difference between "freedom from ..." and "freedom to ..."?

I'm not sure that freedom can be defined simply. It seems so context-dependent and subjective, limited both from within and without.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Being a marketing major, society tells me that in order to "free" myself from the daily mind-numbing stress of having enough money, I must learn to use mass psychological manipulation in order to make people purchase products that would not ordinarily be in their best interests to purchase. To ME, freedom means having the natural right to pursue greater goals than making money.

It all comes down to dignity; masters in finance and economic structuring, which produce NOTHING for our society are given the highest amount of respect/dignity. The Nobel Prize's of the last couple decades highlights this very nicely. Feeling as though i am finally starting to open my eyes, I get sick thinking about the mental rape that i am supposed to inflict on my fellow man.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
To me, free means:

Ability to act based on choices that I have made based on my own intuition, not peer pressure.

This is kinda what popped into my head as I read the title, so yeah, that's the short answer for me too

Everything I do or think i'm constantly saying to myself ''hang on, is this really what I think/believe?'' always questioning myself and how I really feel about things, or things I do.

But I think what blupblup wrote from Assata Shakur is a great thought, thanks for that one blupblup

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
We are born with invisible chains, slaves of the system...-
but we are also born with THE KEY-
to break free.

Freedom is a state of mind.

I am free and so are you- just embrace it

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I am surprised I didn't see this answer yet.

/Cynic mode on

Death is the ultimate freedom, no more obligations to this planet.

/cynic mode off

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Freedom never existed on earth and the way humanity are doing things it will never exist on earth. That's the sad truth of reality.

I have reasons to believe slavery will persist in our after life as well.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by GrandKitaro777]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join