It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The Critical Unraveling of U.S. Society
You may have missed it in the mainstream news media, but statistical societal indicators are reading red across the board. Before exposing the root causes of this breakdown, let’s look at some vital statistics and facts:
* The inequality of wealth in the United States is soaring to an unprecedented level. The US already had the highest inequality of wealth in the industrialized world prior to the financial crisis. Since the crisis, which has hit the middle class and poor much harder than the top one percent, the gap between the top one percent and the remaining 99% of the US population has grown to a record high.
* As the stock market went over the 10,000 mark and just surged to a 13-month high, the three big banks that took taxpayer money and benefit the most from the government bailout have just set a new global economic record by issuing $30 billion in annual bonuses this year, “up 60 percent from last year.” Bloomberg reported: “Goldman Sachs, the most profitable securities firm in Wall Street history, had a record profit in the first nine months of this year and set aside $16.7 billion for compensation expenses.” Goldman Sachs is on pace for the best year in the firm’s history, they are also benefiting by only paying 1% in taxes.
* Workers between the age of 55 – 60, who have worked for 20 – 29 years, have lost an average of 25 percent off their 401k. During the same time period, the wealth of the 400 richest Americans went up by $30 billion, bringing their total combined wealth to $1.57 trillion.
* Home foreclosure filings “hit a record high in the third quarter [of 2009]… They were the worst three months of all time… 937,840 homes received a foreclosure letter” in this three month period. “3.4 million homes are expected to enter foreclosure by year’s end, with some experts estimating that next year will be even worse.”
President Obama has enacted a $75 billion taxpayer funded program that has been a spectacular failure in stemming the foreclosure crisis and has proven to be another massive waste of billions of taxpayer dollars.
* 25 Million people are unemployed or underemployed.
This means we have 25 million people who urgently need to increase their income, and they’re quickly running out of options. The unemployment rate is expected to rise further and remain high for several years. “The president’s chief economic adviser warned that the nation’s unemployment rate could stay ‘unacceptably high’ for years to come.”
One out of every two children in the United States of America will need to use a food stamp… to EAT!
If you didn’t think starvation was a serious threat in the US, just read this new Washington Post report: “The nation’s economic crisis has catapulted the number of Americans who lack enough food to the highest level since the government has been keeping track, according to a new federal report, which shows that nearly 50 million people — including almost one child in four — struggled last year to get enough to eat… Several independent advocates and policy experts on hunger said that they had been bracing for the latest report to show deepening shortages, but that they were nevertheless astonished by how much the problem has worsened. ‘This is unthinkable. It’s like we are living in a Third World country,’ said Vicki Escarra, president of Feeding America.”
The United States Department of Agriculture released these findings in a study that was completed in December 2008, which means these numbers don’t take into account the millions more unemployed throughout 2009. The numbers of people living in poverty and struggling to eat has seen a significant increase since then.
* The gun and ammunition manufacturing industry in the United States has over 200 companies producing billions of dollars in annual revenues. This huge manufacturing base cannot fulfill demand quickly enough. The demand for guns and ammunition has hit a record high and the gun industry cannot produce enough bullets to keep up with orders.
American’s are arming themselves to the teeth!
* In the past year, 100 new armed militia groups have been formed, as militia members have doubled in numbers. Federal authorities are gravely concerned about the “uptick in militia activities.” One federal authority recently said, “All it’s lacking is a spark. I think it’s only a matter of time before you see threats and violence.”
Originally posted by Mr Mask
I love reading folks who say "bring it on, I am ready" and then paint it as if the "poor" or "hungry" have the "best chance" to survive.
It is a simple fact that if a collapse happened, the "poor" or "common folk" would not do anywhere near as "well" as the rich who have had the power, money and resources (not to mention inside information and possible early warnings). They will not have to struggle nearly as much as those who are struggling now.
Every time I see some smug guy/girl saying "yehaw this will rule!", I want to slap them into reality.
If you think a total crashing of the system will make things better, or somehow easier, you are not paying much attention.
It will be bloody chaos filled with the nightmares of human suffering around you.
You think you are going to be getting the food?
You think you are going to be getting the shelter?
You think you are going to be "somehow" allowed to get the food and the shelter?
Do you think that if the system collapses that all the money-masters and elite-bastards are going to just turn to dust and leave you with a green field of grass to grow your new-life on?
Silly to wish for horror and destruction...And its absolutely "stupid" to assume "you" will benefit from such a thing.
Do you really think YOU will benefit from the falling of a society?
Do you actually think when Rome burned there were people dancing along side Nero saying- "this rules yo yo homie yo yo!"
Good luck...a lot of talk about "waking up" on these boards...wait until you really hear that alarm clock ringing...you will wish for sleep like no man has ever wished before.
[edit on 2-12-2009 by Mr Mask]
[edit on 2-12-2009 by Mr Mask]
Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I'm on board with Kozmo.
Let the world burn and let all the suckers die off. As many as heaven and hell can fit.
I'm tired as hell of the flow of my life being altered by force of someone else's 'authority' and someone else's 'economy.'