It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC knocked out by ANOTHER power failure

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Unless.. there are soooo many classes, depending on timings or communications over networks...

Even if it seems perfect, there are always factors or influences in real life that weren't known before.
The more complex a system gets, the more error-prone it gets too.
Although we are developing better methods all the time, there are always humans involved in the process.
And humans do need sleep sometimes, even if deadlines are in the game, otherwise... ah, just check around what lack of sleep does to such processes

(and virtually any software product on earth has a testing group, but what are they doing, if the product is developed perfect anyways)

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
You are such a simple species, obsessed with bashing things into each other to see what happens, The LHC, bombing the moon, kind of reminds me of watching monkeys use a rock to crack a nut.

Im pretending to be an alien btw

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

They have tried this in a smaller version, it's called Fermi Lab and it's right in my backyard!

A few years ago they shot particles through the earth to a receiving lab in Minnesota, the particles traveled at the speed of light 3000ft underground and no one was the wiser.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by WeSbO

Right on the money, Wesbo! By now they must have figured out that the whole Einstein BS leads nowhere. They may be experimenting with time travel, taking in account the energy spent. Remember what happened during experiments that were not falsified by Saint Albert. Nothing counterintuitive there, and yes, there is an ether.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Anyone catch the symbolism of the "bird dropping the bread" ???

One of the main goals of the LHC is to find the Graviton.

Is it not ironic that a bird (gravity defying beast) dropped a piece of bread (Jesus says he is our "daily bread") and stopped the machine that some say has the potential to be a doomsday device.??

So it looks like JC saved us again...

Thanx

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

There are particle collisions that happen in our atmosphere all the time at a higher energy level than LHC will ever be capable of. We're all still here.

Prove it.

If that is thee case why not just set up the monitoring equipment and wait, no need for whole LHC.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009
This is bad idea #1287

We don't even know where to strore radio-active waste. I think they should try this in space and with a smaller version first.

Already a smaller version on Long Island, NY at Brookhaven Labs.

[edit on 12/3/2009 by Infra_red]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Am I the only person who has searched all over the internet and hasn't found a single reputable news source confirming this?!?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MordanECU
Am I the only person who has searched all over the internet and hasn't found a single reputable news source confirming this?!?

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
(just want to say that some say this could be because of secret agent , cia, russia, china , england, israel , don't know).

All these lhd 'accident', and thing that doesn't works the way they do.

(and just a little section of them )

[edit on 4-12-2009 by psychederic]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by gazorbeam
One of the main goals of the LHC is to find the Graviton.

Please educate us on how they plan to ascertain such finding. You state that Graviton thing with such confidence, you must have lots of expertise in the field. I'm all ears.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
I'm now in about 1500 feet from the LHC ring.
LHC is safe and sound and I'm proud to contribute to this historical endeavor.

Hey bhudda

You never mentioned you are working on the LHC. What experiment / detector are you on? Are you a theoretical or experimental?

Your are lucky to work on this amazing machine, hopefully there are some excellent discoveries to be made.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
i think they should spend the money on more important things then finding a particle that doesnt exist

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toecutter.

There are particle collisions that happen in our atmosphere all the time at a higher energy level than LHC will ever be capable of. We're all still here.

Prove it.

If that is thee case why not just set up the monitoring equipment and wait, no need for whole LHC.

Do you mean like this Wiki

This experiment is for detecting particles with energies above 10^20eV, 'slightly' above the LHCs measly 14TeV

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
i think they should spend the money on more important things then finding a particle that doesnt exist

The LHC wasn't built to find a particle that doesn't exist. It was built to probe higher energy collisions than the next best collider, to dicover new areas of physics and prove / disprove and refine others.

What would you spend the money on?

[edit on 4/12/2009 by LightFantastic]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Hi any further update on the situation there? Also how are you able to post on ATS from inside CERN, I thought the security was very tight specially after a guy(contractor i think) was caught with link to terrorist. Do they easily allow laptops/ black berry and mobiles inside?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
reply to post by buddhasystem

Hi any further update on the situation there?

They plan further collisions this coming weekend. Emphasis is on the machine work and tune-up. All is well.

Do they easily allow laptops/ black berry and mobiles inside?

I happen to have both Blackberry and a notebook

You have to register and do some paperwork, but it's OK.

To the other poster here: I do work for Atlas.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by aspx

Yeh that's right the British must have something to do with the so called sabotage of the experiments, after all they have no scientists involved, put no money into it and they don't even hold observer status.

As for this machine causing it’s own downfall, what ever came from the future was present in the past! Time is linear you cannot change that, and don’t even give me any of that john taitor multiverse bullspit you’d just be walking back on the paths you’ve already taken.

This experiment is just the start, don’t be scared of it because if we are to survive as a race we need to progress.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Toecutter.

What a stupid thing to say! how the hell are you going to suspend 20,000 ton observers in the atmosphere to monitor results with all the interference involved!!!!!?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I can understand any time you are dealing with very high energies and experimental technologies that people will become concerned, but I do not understand the almost irrational paranoia about the LHC. According to some of you, the thing could open up a black hole or destroy Earth.

I am afraid what will actually happen is this:
LHC will go up to full steam.
Collision detected.
Output comes up on many terminal screens.
Nerdy physicists have simultaneous orgasm.
A press release goes out explaining how it was successful and scientists will be analyzing data for the next x months.

Life goes on.

After that, what will our next doomsday device be?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join