It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC knocked out by ANOTHER power failure

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Right! Bodge tape is really 'the force'-it has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the universe together!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

I do not think it is cursed.Its more like aliens are sabortarging the LHC all the time.Of course the aliens cannot make it look so obveious so to make it look like another failer somewhere in the systerm.And when they fix this problem in about 4 months ,another failer will occure somewhere else in the LHC.Its good to know our alien friends are keeping both us and them safe.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Wow this is really fascinating to think about, thanks for the explanation EnlightenUp, i'm not sure if we should be doing that though, seems it could be very dangerous to me, maybe i'm just superstitious about this LHC thing.

I just don't think it's worth the risk. I think all the people who are all for it going ahead should go and crowd around it during the first full power collision.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toecutter.
Wow this is really fascinating to think about, thanks for the explanation EnlightenUp, i'm not sure if we should be doing that though, seems it could be very dangerous to me, maybe i'm just superstitious about this LHC thing.

I just don't think it's worth the risk. I think all the people who are all for it going ahead should go and crowd around it during the first full power collision.

Id be there in a moment, had I the fare paid

Imagine what it would be like for the poor bloke who happened to stick his head in the way of a particle in motion, and have it blast thru his head - and nout damage occur! Well, a great swollen hole, but no real fatal damage.. google it, it was posted here months ago.

He was mad. He kept om like a champ.

I'd be well away from it, but I'd love to be there as it kicks in.

The fear of fear is the worst fear of all.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

PERSONALLY I don't think that this can be put on the same par.

The LHC is playing with things that are wayyy out of our league. It is all based on theory, speculation and what if's. If a group of scientists feel that its so dangerous they file law suits to have it stopped then I feel that it needs re-thinking.

Link To Law Suit

Now I don't take everything that scientists say as fact, science changes on an almost daily basis anyway. What I find REALLY disturbing is this "yeah, we MIGHT find that we create a few mini-blackholes" attitude that they have, like it's something that doesn't need addressing.

Just because they put the word 'mini' in front of blackhole doesn't make it ok. I like what Discovery News said .....

Some concepts don't become tamer when you tack a "micro-" or a "mini-" prefix in front of them. For example, a mini-stroke is still an excellent reason to visit the hospital, and you'd certainly be ill advised to question the power of a minigun. So when CERN scientists mention that they might create microscopic black holes in the midst of their particle smashing, it's easy to understand some of the ensuing panic.

I'm sure that some of my 'fears' are based off of my ignorance of the subject/science but anything that is unknown should be avoided until more is known.

Just my thoughts of course

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilAxis

I do support this idea, it is very plausible.

It is not a ludicrous notion to suggest the universe is self correcting itself and effecting our time-line (parallel universes)

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
It may not be a toaster ,
but IT is TOAST .
Chicken demons are mad bad scientists
Give it up . It's never going to work .

...... that's .. a promise !

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kellys

PERSONALLY I don't think that this can be put on the same par.

The LHC is playing with things that are wayyy out of our league. It is all based on theory, speculation and what if's. If a group of scientists feel that its so dangerous they file law suits to have it stopped then I feel that it needs re-thinking.

Link To Law Suit

Now I don't take everything that scientists say as fact, science changes on an almost daily basis anyway. What I find REALLY disturbing is this "yeah, we MIGHT find that we create a few mini-blackholes" attitude that they have, like it's something that doesn't need addressing.

Just because they put the word 'mini' in front of blackhole doesn't make it ok. I like what Discovery News said .....

Some concepts don't become tamer when you tack a "micro-" or a "mini-" prefix in front of them. For example, a mini-stroke is still an excellent reason to visit the hospital, and you'd certainly be ill advised to question the power of a minigun. So when CERN scientists mention that they might create microscopic black holes in the midst of their particle smashing, it's easy to understand some of the ensuing panic.

I'm sure that some of my 'fears' are based off of my ignorance of the subject/science but anything that is unknown should be avoided until more is known.

Just my thoughts of course

I can understand that, but science also tells us these events do occur naturally, and all the time. I honestly do not think anything horrible will occur.

I'd be far more worried if we were back in the 30's and the nuke was being fiddled with... THAT is something well worth this kind of attention.

Im a but absent minded at the moment, lots going on, Im trying to keep up, forgive me if I forget who said what or and so and so ;o

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by radarloveguy
It may not be a toaster ,
but IT is TOAST .
Chicken demons are mad bad scientists
Give it up . It's never going to work .

...... that's .. a promise !

You're QUACKERS!!!

Polly wanna conspiracy? Sqwaaak!!

Im full of bird things, oh but not the flu.

Uhh no matter how I justify that claim, it sounds wrong.. oh jeeze..

back to me stories..

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Yeah it was the Russian scientist Anatoli Burgorski.
Its quite an interesting story really.
Heres a thread on the guy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Thats the one!!! I remember seeing images of him at the time, with a pock park where it went thru.

In SANE!!

something so small..

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
the worse thing is this:

most of these scientists working in this project have some lifetime work to teste

so guys, they LOVE their work, and they would KILL to test it before they die

why do you think they will say there are no risks even if there were

cause they are thinking about their glory and lifetime work that they could acomplish with the results

thats 1+1=2

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

you're conspiracies are only theory ,

mine will bite your ass ! 20+22=meltdown!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I know exactly what is causing this,,,,,,, COINCIDENCE!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   

There are many well-credentialed individuals who have doubted the wisdom of this project from day one.

If you would like to "go for it" as you so colourfully proposed, then do so on some other planet where you can become whatever technologically augmented organism you care to be.

Earth is mother to more people's dreams than just your own. Bear that in mind.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
It's the People of Thiaoouba that are stopping the LHC.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I'm British and I have disliked the LHC from the very first time I read about it and I follow everything that's been said about it ever since on these forums on physics forums even on the CERN site itself.

The dangers may be mathematically tiny if the physicists are right but they tend to use circular logic and use one unproven theory to back another unproven theory, it's a real house of cards but what worries me more than that is their numbers while they may be true aren't taking into account the fact they are planning a million collisions a second while this thing is running.

Now what is a million collisions a second, over a day, a week, a month ,a year , several years even and the seemingly huge odds of something bad happening start to look a whole lot smaller.

If I've worked it out right now we could be looking at 31,536,000,000,000 collisions in a year each one potentially has a very small chance of danger perhaps it can run for several years with nothing going wrong, I fear sooner or later though whether it's with this collider or an even bigger one we are going to be reminded just how small we are in the universal scheme of things and how little the self proclaimed experts actually really know.

The one thing I hate about the LHC more than anything else though is the immorality of it, it's blatantly against the Precautionary Principle and a collosal waste of money that should be being used to solve real problems.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Teknikal]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
It's not down, it was a mere blip and it is still up and running. read the whole article. It's fluff the LHC is running fine.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
There are particle collisions that happen in our atmosphere all the time at a higher energy level than LHC will ever be capable of.

We're all still here.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
There are particle collisions that happen in our atmosphere all the time at a higher energy level than LHC will ever be capable of.

We're all still here.

These natural collisions are fundamentally different in that they would tend to have very high relative velocities with the earth/solar-system whereas the CERN collisions would have no, or little, relative velocity with the earth.

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Teknikal]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join