It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC knocked out by ANOTHER power failure

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

LHC knocked out by ANOTHER power failure

www.theregister.co.uk

The Large Hadron Collider - most puissant particle-punisher ever assembled by the human race - has suffered another major power failure, knocking not only the atomsmasher itself but even its associated websites offline. The machine remains unserviceable at present. However its crucial cryogenics seem to have been unaffected, and no catastrophic damage is thought to have occurred.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The LHC is offline again. This project really is cursed. Perhaps there is something to the theory that the mere possibility of the LHC unmasking certain phenomena engenders forces which act backwards through time to sabotage it before this can happen.

"Maybe it was a birdy bread-bomber from the future," jokes Chris Stephens of the LHC Portal. "We ourselves find it hard not to suspect the involvement of some pan-dimensional police force, seeking to prevent humanity acquiring parallel-universe portal capability before we're ready to use it responsibly."

So I guess the pursuit of the so called God particle is on hold once again.

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
it is sabotage by united states
they always wanted the europeans to stop work on this project, wouldn't find it interesting if the british were after the same thing.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It's a big NEW machine with lots of parts. Stuff is going to break. Even as a programmer I realize that you can't code a program one time through and expect everything to work perfect.

Trial & Errors makes things right.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue
Even as a programmer I realize that you can't code a program one time through and expect everything to work perfect.

Yes you can!
Especially if you use classes which are pre-tested

link   
reply to post by SeeingBlue

Trial & Errors makes things right.

Given the context of the higgs boson, I'd rather less error.

It might not destroy all life as we know it, but it can theoretically have some dire consequences.

link   
reply to post by SeeingBlue

Of course you can't, but if you've got a team of this audacity creating such a awesome machine, I'm sure you've got more than enough perspective from all sides to get it operational at some level of efficiency.

This LHC, it's just not meant to happen. Yet, at least.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
L ame
H acked
C rap

Maybe Nassim is right....there is no God particle, they just keep getting smaller and smaller....hmmmmm....Unified Field Theory.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be crazy if it didn't work until Dec. 2012? What a synchronicity THAT would be.

I mean for whatever anomalous thing they are trying to ultimately accomplish.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I think the sheer amount of close tolerance manufacturing,assembly, the forces, temperatures involved, the amount of people involved all must surely contribute to all these problems.

Its always going to be the case on something as big, and precise as this.

working in a world leader in manufacturing, I can completely understand why there are problems.

thousands upon thousands of brand new components, many with size tolerances at +/- 0.002mm.(or even less in some parts)

Its always going to be a case of trial and error in some respects.

iron out these problems now, and down the line when things really heat up next year, there should be less mishaps by then.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Wouldn't it be crazy if it didn't work until Dec. 2012? What a synchronicity THAT would be.

I mean for whatever anomalous thing they are trying to ultimately accomplish.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by bsbray11]

I would be very afraid if that was the case..

I would run for the hills but there are not many places on earth to hide from a black hole sucking in the whole planet to another dimension.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yes! The Saga Continues giving crazy theories a chance!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

I keep telling you they are trying to find what is called the force. What consequence, that has for humanity who knows, and why should man know of it anyway.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by '___'omino
Yes! The Saga Continues giving crazy theories a chance!

The strange thing is that c2c is doing a programme on this tonight, so we will have the normal stuff about it, lol.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by Erasurehead

I keep telling you they are trying to find what is called the force. What consequence, that has for humanity who knows, and why should man know of it anyway.

You know the force has got a lot of power and it makes me feel like, it makes me feel like ooow!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This is bad idea #1287

We don't even know where to strore radio-active waste. I think they should try this in space and with a smaller version first.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
This LHC, it's just not meant to happen. Yet, at least.

I know things, especially new things, are bound to have problems. But come on. When things like this keep happening, it really does make me wonder if someone, or something (be it human error, a bird from the future, or God) isn't trying to stop whatever it is they are wanting to do from happening.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

I wonder how the people working there feel?

Anyone know anyone there?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
They should stop wasting time taking it slow and just turn it on full power and bang! How many times will they break this thing if they keep going slow at half power. Next time they get it running they need to just turn it on full and collide the particles else we may never get there. Would be cheaper to skip they tests and just bang.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Sabotaging itself from the future again?
Gotta love the theory.

According to Nielsen... the creation of the boson at some point in the future would then ripple backwards through time to put a stop to whatever it was that had created it in the first place.

This, says Nielsen, could explain why the LHC has been hit by mishaps ranging from an explosion during construction to a second big bang that followed its start-up. Whether the recent arrest of a leading physicist for alleged links with Al-Qaeda also counts is uncertain.

A particle God doesn’t want us to discover Sunday Times

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join