It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Private Contractors Are There In Afghanistan? Military Gives Us A Number

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Private contractors employed by the Defense Department in Afghanistan will continue to outnumber the size of the American troop presence, even after President Obama sends 30,000 more soldiers to fight in the war, according to the military's most recent contractor count.

The latest figure on DOD contractors in the country is a whopping 104,100, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command tells TPM. That number, which is expected to grow, is already greater than the 98,000 U.S. troops that will be in the country after the new deployments.

And the lack of discussion of the topic -- Obama, for example, didn't mention contractors in his address last night -- warps perceptions of the size of the American commitment in Afghanistan.

tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com...

Transparency?

The whole another 30K troops seems to be quite a smokescreen

This is riduculous, over 200K fighters versus 100 al qaida members.

There's obviously something else going on in Afghanistan

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well, you didn't hear it from me. But afghanistan is on the border with Iran. So is Iraq, which as I recall has about 180,000 "contractors" stationed there. How do you think things are going to play out when Iran has has almost half a million soldiers and mercenaries fooling around on their eastern and western borders?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

excuse my ignorance on this one but what are "contractors", what is their remit? who employs them?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
"Contractors" to put it bluntly, are mercenaries. Famous "contracting" firms are Blackwater(Xe), KBR, which used to be part of Halliburton, and many many more. They are paid by the US government, AKA the taxpayers.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Huh? Only 100 AQ members in A-stan?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

((snip))

Transparency?

The whole another 30K troops seems to be quite a smokescreen

There's obviously something else going on in Afghanistan

Gotta love the oligarchs new mercenary army that operates off the radar and above the law, if it takes $1 million to support a US troop.. how much does a merc cost?.. I wonder... it's cheaper than a draft I guess. TPTB saw that the unpopular draft de-railed their Vietnam adventure, mercs solve that problem.

Whats going on imo is the violent rejection of an occupier by a people who:
Eat empires for lunch.
Didn't invite us.
Know their suffering is a result of lies
Don't want us occupying their land.
Don't want to live under a US despot puppet (like iran did for 30 some years).
Don't want to live under a puppet security force made of traitors
Are not interested in our way of life, dont care about our "war on drugs", "war on terror", whatever our so called leaders agendas are...

When in history have the Afghans welcomed a violent un-invited, un-welcome occupation force?.. oh yeah, never. obama needs a surge 'team america' dvds to convince the Afghans we are there to save the mf'n day, yeah!

When the last occupiers withdrew, the invader trained Afghan forces abandon their posts rather than fight their brothers and be summarily slaughtered as traitors.. yet when the US leaves these same people will defend team americas puppet because?...

I'm still trying to figure out how primitive cave dwelling donkey driving dirt urchins 1/2 a world away fighting an occupier.. are somehow a threat to my freedom in California.. lol so stupid..

new topics

top topics

join