It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man controlled robotic hand with thoughts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

A group of European scientists say they have successfully connected a robotic hand to a man who had lost an arm, allowing him to feel sensations in the artificial hand and control it with his thoughts.

The experiment lasted a month. Scientists say it was the first time an amputee has been able to make complex movements using his mind to control a biomechanic hand connected to his nervous system.

The Italian-led team said at a news conference Wednesday in Rome that last year they implanted electrodes into the arm of the patient, who had lost his left hand and forearm in a car accident.

The electrodes were removed after a month, during which the man learned to wiggle the robotic fingers and make other movements.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b940061e3f2b.jpg[/atsimg]

Experts: Man controlled robotic hand with thoughts

Wow! The implications from this are astounding! The first thing that popped into my head was David Adair talking about the symbiatic craft he witnessed.

-E-

[edit on 2-12-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
so "liens" are grafted to a space craft? sounds brutal.

I dont think this tells the whole story, there has to have been some kind of nerve connection. no one is moving anything by thought. not yet anyway

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

According to this part of the article

The electrodes were removed after a month, during which the man learned to wiggle the robotic fingers and make other movements.

we have! Pretty exciting, but believable since signals from the brain are electronic siglans.

-E-

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
So they didnt let him keep the arm?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Terminator Arm by 2009! - ATS Thread from 2007

Excellent predictions!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is great news.

I wonder if the same technology would apply if my girlfriend went Lorena Bobbit and chopped my penis off, haha.

Seriously though, there is some tall grass around here.

I'm glad this guy took the chance to be part of this experiment. It's ballsy, but hey why not!?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
awesome! How long until we have human cyborgs?

new topics

top topics

join