It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nov. 24, 1974: Humanity, Meet Lucy. She’s Your Mom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cccdb0f31a97.jpg[/atsimg]

1974: Paleonanthropologist Don Johanson and graduate student Tom Gray discover the skeleton of Lucy, the first recognizably human member of the primate family tree.

One morning toward the end of his second field season in Hadar, Ethiopia, Johanson decided to put his paperwork away and go bone-hunting with Gray. After several fruitless hours, they stopped in a gully that had been searched twice before, yielding nothing.

This time, Johanson noticed a fragment of arm bone. Near it were pieces of ribs, legbones, vertebrae and skull — all, amazingly, from the same skeleton. Thus was born specimen AL 288-1, whom the world would eventually know as Lucy.

Johanson’s team found hundreds of fragments, assembling them into the skeleton of a female Australopithecus afarensis who lived 3.2 million years ago and stood 3½ feet tall, with an emphasis on stood. Though Lucy’s long fingers and toes hinted at the arboreal origins of humanity’s ancestors, her pelvis and knees were clearly suited for walking on the ground.

www.wired.com...

Picture of bone fragments at the link, time flies, 1974.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Searched TWICE , with nothing found?
And then all of a sudden he 'finds' the bones sticking out of the ground?
Whilst I applaud any find when theose two lines are together I'm thinking othe things , sorry , no offense OP.
Must've been searched twice by Stevie Wonder then.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I was around in the 70's, albeit as a kid, and i never saw anyone make a big deal about this stuff. young people I can forgive for getting all conspiratorial, but to the 45 + yr olds on here, shame on you.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Know what you mean, I am way above 45 and take all of this in my stride, I don't know what would get me excited these days as nothing surprises me any longer.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Oh purrrleaze!!! This "find" was one of the reasons i never pursued a career in geology..... You DO know that this "find" wasnt found in one single place, but each fragment of bone was found in a 1.5 mile radius???

This has been debunked soooo many times it aint funny... It was a missmatch of bone fragments, from different primate species, gathered over a 1.5 mile radius and put together to make it look like an ancestor... A hoax in other words, but i guess when you subscribe to the mainstream of anything you are going believe its crap... Glad i am not wired that way.

[edit on 113131p://f50Wednesday by Selahobed]

[edit on 123131p://f11Wednesday by Selahobed]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
And really, even if it was a real find, its not really our ancestor it would be more bigfoots mother really... same with all of the other so called pre-"humans" up until we arrived out of nowhere..
and havn't they found some more pre -"human" remains that date even earlier than that in recent years?

i thought darwins "theory" of human evolution was already proved wrong here countless times. genetic engineering is the only theory really backed up by physical proof.

new topics

top topics

join