It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Matthews Call West Point "Enemy Camp"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Chris Matthews Call West Point "Enemy Camp"

www.youtube.com

Last night President Obama traveled to West Point to make his speech on Afghanistan. Chris Mattews covering the story commented that Obama did not get a good reception from the cadets, that it was like visiting the "enemy's camp."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Is that any way to refer to the men and women who've sworn to defend our land? These are people who are willing to fight and die for our country.

I recognize that Mr. Matthews was talking about the rather lukewarm reception the President's remarks received, still it was a rather poor---and revealing---choice of words.

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-12-2009 by IamLael]

[edit on 2-12-2009 by IamLael]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
nothing to see here
it's no big deal

These people thought Obama would reuinite them with their families.

Support the troops should mean = bring them back home

Whoever says support the troops and by that they mean let them keep fighting are the real enemies of the troops, not terroists.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The responses in this thread will be predictable...

Mathews (who I really don't like at all) merely said, "he went to, maybe, the enemy camp tonight...", making the point that Obama selected a potentially hostile (to him) venue for his speech.

That is not the same as saying Obama went to *THE* ENEMY camp.

But that wont stop people from manufacturing DRAMA and using Mathews as evidence for how some Americans hate our military.

Never let the facts stand in the way of a good political statement.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by loam]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I agree with you. I do find it telling that some who support the Commander in Chief find the Army Academy to be "hostile" towards his initiatives. It wasn't potentially hostile, but it sure was a tepid/polite response, about as hostile as you will get at West Point for a President.

He doesn't seem to have the respect of the Military.I find that troubling to me.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I can't stand Chris Matthews as much as the next guy, but in all fairness he did say "LIKE visiting an enemy camp". Like being the key operator here. I believe this is more a case of poorly chosen words and I don't think Chris Matthews meant anything by what he said.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I understand this is politics

but if you think it was a poor choice of words i think you are trying to politicize it too much

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I think it's calling it what is, a poor choice of words. It has nothing to do with "politicizing" it. Its already been there done that, which is why this thread is posted in the first place.

But using the phrase "enemy camp" when the president is at a Military College, using it to describe his reception, is very poor judgment. There is no way around that.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Honestly this is so hollywood
foreign nations must be laughing at us at how dumb we are

the president who promised change does not get a warm welcome from troops as he is trying to expand the war into the entire muslim world and all we can say is "chris matthews used some poor choice of words"

your right, it's not politicizing it
it's dumbing it down, it's americanizing it

it shows a lack of intelligence and a lack of focus

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Support the troops should mean = bring them back home

Funny, I thought "support the troops" meant keeping them gainfully employed...

Just my 2-cents

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

You are right Foreign Nations are laughing at us. We have a president that goes around the world on apology tours, while promising China that we will reign in our deficit while simultaneously trying to spend trillions of dollars, and his media lap dogs are analogizing his reception to the future troops that he will be sending to war as an "enemy camp".

Yep the world is laughing at us alright, but not for the reasons you think. They are laughing at us because we have an amateur in office and a willing media to spin everything he does into a positive. And we haven't risen up to remove the corrupt congress and admin from office, that is why they are laughing at us.

Chris Matthews and the other media lackyies are just icing on the cake.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
You are right Foreign Nations are laughing at us. We have a president that goes around the world on apology tours,

This is what foreign nations would call american arrogance, your post that is

Dude step out of your shell man

they aren't laughing at us because he's on apology tours
rather they are critical that his actions don't mimic his words or tone

you could learn alot from them

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
Yep the world is laughing at us alright, but not for the reasons you think. They are laughing at us because we have an amateur in office

They don't care whether you have an amateur in office or not
Would you rather have a more experience president continuing Bush's policies?

What difference would it make?

Again you are dumbing the picture down and only commenting on the facade.

Focus on the details rather.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Mathews knew exactly what he was saying. I believe he chose his words carefully. It has nothing to do with politics, it is all business. He is in the business of marketing himself and his show. His job is controversy. The more controversy he creates the more people watch his show. People need to learn that the media's job isn't to inform us. It is to get us to watch the commercials that pay them. Plain and simple.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
This is what foreign nations would call american arrogance, your post that is

Dude step out of your shell man

they aren't laughing at us because he's on apology tours
rather they are critical that his actions don't mimic his words or tone

you could learn alot from them

No, what you just said is exactly what I am talking about. Obama has nothing to apologize for, none of what he has apologized for is his fault, it shows Obama's huge ego and self importance.

They don't care whether you have an amateur in office or not
Would you rather have a more experience president continuing Bush's policies?

No, instead we have an amateur in office that is still continuing Bush's policies.

What difference would it make?

Again you are dumbing the picture down and only commenting on the facade.

Focus on the details rather.

No, you only see the facade, because if you saw the details you would notice the only thing that changes from president to president are policies that the federal government is barred from intervening according to the Constitution.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Matthews is an idiot.

I'm not sure that the US Military Academy was the best venue, but what did Matthews expect from cadets?

These are highly disciplined individuals who are listening to a speech by their commander-in-chief. They are going to be a restrained crowd.

Even at football games, the cadet corps' enthusiasm is orderly.

Matthews despises America. He despises the military. He's a coward.

Did you hear his comment about Wolfowitz going to West Point to give rabble-rousing speeches about democratizing the world? As if liberty is a bad thing and democracy is to be abhorred.

Those are odd thoughts coming from a supposed free press.

We can't expect Matthews to understand that giving a speech to any crowd that signals our explicit intentions for engagement, including a timetable for withdrawal is a recipe for defeat and is going to disappoint those whose job it is to win wars.

Wait a minute. I forgot. Chris Matthews doesn't want us to defeat our enemies and win wars.

[edit on 2009/12/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Chris Matthews is a tool. I wonder if he had a tingle down his leg when he listened to Obama speak last night.

West Point in an "enemy camp"

There is a reason why nobody watches this idiot.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Matthews is indeed and idiot. What type of reception was he expecting for Obama? The cadets were witnessing a speech from their commander in chief regarding a new ill fated strategy in Afghanistan. Their future lies in the hands of a man like Obama.

Please forgive the lack of noisemakers, banners, balloons and streamers that Obama is used to getting at his staged town hall events. 100 plus soldiers died while Obama was lamenting his strategy in Afghanistan. WTF does Matthews want? Let's send his sorry butt over there and hope that he doesn't fall victim to an IED placed and built by a child.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Do you still believe it matters one iota who is in office? Or do you know it doesn't matter but Obama is the most convenient target to throw your frustrations at? Don't want to sound all dramatic, but if Americans voted for a solid third party come 2012...with ideals akin to Ron Pauls. Damn, America and the world would literally change overnight. Sadly i think it will be the Republicans that win. Anyway, it's clear to me it was a bad choice of words. He should know better but it has been taken the wrong way by folks who just want to moan for the sake of moaning. Bit off topic sorry.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

they aren't laughing at us because he's on apology tours rather they are critical that his actions don't mimic his words or tone

I call it what is is-treason. Obama has weakened our nation with his "apologies". All of our enemies know he is ALL TALK. Iran certainly didn't hesitate one moment to tell us to buzz off, regarding their nuclear program, and then added that they are building 10 more nuclear reactors. They KNOW that Obama won't don't anything to them.

Everything that Obama DOES and SAYS is due to his narcissism. He wants people to like him, and so every decision he makes is aimed at pleasing whatever audience he is speaking to. Even the decision to send in 30,000 more troops, was a political decision- send in most of what Gen. McCrystal asked for, to please the military, but then announced a withdrawal date to please the liberals. He talks out of both sides of his mouth.

your right, it's not politicizing it it's dumbing it down, it's americanizing it it shows a lack of intelligence and a lack of focus

It would be nice if you could make your arguments without insulting other members.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join