It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

AI or human being : They model an entire brain in a computer

page: 2
9
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012
 


US Air Force Buying 2200 PlayStation 3s

play.tm...

based on cell processor : en.wikipedia.org...

FOr their use : this is cheaper. And they got more power in floating point ( i think ).


[edit on 2-12-2009 by psychederic]




posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by yadda333
 


Philosophically plausible that we are a simulation, watch the movie The 13th floor, great movie.

However, a 'computer' of this magnitude would essentially have the mass of the universe itself anyways, so even if we we're a simulation, you'd never be able to tell, period.

Look at the The Sims series, we're already trying to simulate a alternate reality, however it is immoral in my opinion.

The basis of the fact remains, we need to develop this computer ASAP, and it is completely possible, humans just need to step it up, which they will



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by psychederic
 


PS3s do not have more flops than i7 server machines/nodes.

Period.



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by yadda333
 


Then the human can only creates and live in HELL, or this is a purgatory ?

But that not what will make me accept this reality.

I think even this way : I will face the so called "reality" , or "god" itself.

I know : I am a statistic, I am one of the non conformist , the rebel, that exist statistically in the society. hopefully this is ats
( with some fbi smith )



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by psychederic
 


Point remains, if we are the invention of an infinite amount of descending inventions, WE, in all of these inventions, are still of the same molecular composition and science that exists in the top tier of the inventor, therefore, we are real, no matter what.

Put that on for size



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012
 


I read about quantum dot transitor working ( a little ) in labs.

Just a step like this could multiple the power of computer.



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by psychederic
 


Well if they ever figure out how to make a optical CPU, then you could create a infinite amount of whatever in one CPU.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Revolution-2012]



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This is great. In "The Last Question" by Isaac Asimov, FTL drive, along with other things were invented not by humans, but by AI supercomputer.
This seems plausible to me, when the computer technology gets there, because human brain existing in flesh has limitations, like neuron processing speed, diameter of the skull (number of neurons), degeneration, life span... This can all be overcomed by computer simulated brain. I see the potential not only in simulating our virtual brain, but in actually simulating enhanced brain. Imagine virtual EinsteinBrain 2.0 with mathematical coprocessor.

And if we find some way to upload ourselves into the computer, that would be true immortality! (Ayreon 01011001 - Forever, anyone?)



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo
 


The thing is, we are technologically evolved enough to do this.

Except IBM is a private party, slightly government orientated but if the government wanted a AI super brain, they'd just buy all the greatest minds and have one.

What makes you think we haven't already done this? It's not on the news?



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012
 


Ah yes, the thirteenth floor! Very good movie that got overshadowed by the Matrix.

Star for you



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by yadda333
 


Yes, although both movies are philosophically feasible, both situations are unlikely IMO.

However, with human rights groups I doubt anyone would ever get The Sims to real reality where you plug into "the thirteenth floor".

I honestly believe that given they drop a good million dollars into this project, right now, get new processors and reform their "brain" they could simulate a human's brain.

BTW, I googled it, Power PC 440(what it runs off of) is almost 11 years old.

....

Time to move up to a V8.



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I Share this timeline with you.



I think this is relatively accurate.



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by psychederic
 


Excellent post. I could model my cats brain with a lot less computing power - 98% chance of sleep, 2% chance of eating.

The singularity timescales you have given are based on a single computer. With the internet the singularity may come sooner.



[edit on 2/12/2009 by LightFantastic]



posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic
 



No you need a supercomputer, you can't do reliably an AI on internet.

If you connect the 10 most powerfull supercomputer you got something special


In fact you know INTERNET : is for accelerating the human culture, eveling up their intelligence, and opening their mind.

This may not have been totaly designed in the macy conference : but the result is the same.

Smarter , and more open people : in an "open world".

THis should create a defense against the comming of other facism.( in theory )

( and what are the other concequences ) psychological disorder ...

About the Doomsday Equation: recent research

Recent research has confirmed the basic soundness of von Foerster's findings. The hyperbolic growth of the world population observed until the 1970s has recently been correlated to a non-linear second order positive feedback between demographic growth and technological development that can be spelled out as follows[4]:

* technological growth implies an increase in carrying capacity, an increase in the number of people who can survive on any given plot of land
* demographic growth (more people) implies more potential inventors and hence an acceleration of technological growth
* accelerating technological growth causes accelerating growth of carrying capacity, in a positive feedback loop
* faster population growth likewise feeds back by accelerating growth of the number of potential inventors, and then even faster technological growth
* hence, even faster growth of the Earth's carrying capacity for people, and so on



posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by psychederic
No you need a supercomputer, you can't do reliably an AI on internet.


Why do you think AI isn't possible using a collection of machines on the internet? Because of the low bandwidth?

You are correct PS3s provide the most bang per buck for creating supercomputers for many tasks.

[edit on 3/12/2009 by LightFantastic]



posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic
 


Wells it depends on you hear by "collection of machines" and internet.

If you have a lot of enough good machines, and a good specialized network. OK.

The more you separte things , the more you get problems. This will not be "real time".


THe 2200 ps3 : That 6 * 25,6 * 2200 GFLOPS : 1445 Tera flops ( and it works well together ). 1.445 Petaflops. Not bad at all.

( the cell processor can come in multiple spe : for example the military can get 1 tera in their war machines).

[edit on 3-12-2009 by psychederic]



posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Here is a speech that might be interesting to you.

Henry Markram builds a brain in a supercomputer:

www.ted.com...

Edit to add one more speech for people that dig Ray Kurzweil (and for everybody thats wants to see how fast technology advances)

Ray Kurzweil A university for the coming singularity:

www.ted.com...

[edit on 3-12-2009 by Thill]



posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by psychederic
If you have a lot of enough good machines, and a good specialized network. OK.

Ok I see what you mean, bandwidth is the main issue if you want to model a human brain in real time.

You may be interested in this anyway DigitalKoans

The PS3 isn't good for all SC tasks though due to its architecture.

I think modelling the human brain would be easiest to achieve in analog FPGAs and would be much cheaper than a SC.



posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic
 


About : Gary Flake’s "Internet Singularity"

You understand that the "free culture" (opensource, creative common, etc ) will need an other form of economy.

And must be done today ! the free culture, is not compatible with the "capitalism" system (that create corporate control and laws over the population ).

The free world



posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I remember one or 2 years ago : I saw a MIT Professor ( big boss) that had record all is own child early life. ( maybe the first two years )

YOU know : to understand the process of learning for an intelligence such as human being.

Fast is : we have "intelligence" algorythme that can learn , etc etc. But this was really unacurate.

I think a lot of thing may change faster.

And people don't know anything about this, and what may be the problem : like for the atomic bomb (and energy) the concequences of using oil/car , etc.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by psychederic]



new topics

top topics



 
9
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join