It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS, were you a UFO Skeptic before, but not now, Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

Apologize if this was asked before, but..

I have a nagging 'intuition' of asking these querstions here; it's actually stems from a slight observation just reading on the UFO forums since I've been a member. It would be great to see just how many of us there really are.

DO NOT POST JOKES, SLANDER or anything under the unbrella of 'being rude' or proving members wrong.. this thread maybe or may not be considered for further research and another thread..

My questions are this..

~At ANY time in your life, were you either a hardline, on the fence, light hearted UFO skeptic but something definately changed your mind; or your way of thinking.

~Are you hardline believer to which there will NEVER be any going back to the point where you're willing to risk your reputation to stand on your beliefs/viewsif questioned and will go to your grave with the same answer?

~What PERSONAL expereince specifically made you become so dogmatic in your belief in UFO's? close encounter? personal video ?? (please post your own personal comments, story/testimony, vids/pics)

Thanks all~!

~Komodo

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Most people believe in UFO's
this is simply an acronym for an unidentified flying object---so let's say you see a falling star just as it falls out of you range of sight...if you don't know it's a falling star then it's a UFO. Well technically an unidentified falling object--but whatever.

As far as spaceships, alien crafts, or fleets of new-age planes that's another story.

I have always been a skeptic of aliens, but do believe that there is a lot of stuff flying around up there that we have never heard of or are meant to know about. Maybe it's the Germans?

Sorry to sound sarcastic, but what specifically are you talking about?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I really gave it no thought until a little over a year ago. You may call me crazy but when Blossom Goodchild came out with her channeling, it got me interested in the subject. I started reviewing the evidence for such a thing as a result of her claim. Obviously the event did not occur as predicted but I learned something through the process and now without any reservations believe there is other life out there. I guess I wasn't a skeptic as much as I had never even entertained the concept or looked at the evidence.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I've become absolutely grounded in my belief in et's.
First and foremost, it's the general acceptance that there are lives in other worlds. I look at a picture on this site that contains hundreds of galaxies, reports that there are millions, suns with multiple planets near them, the general acceptance of us knowing so little about the universe, the era our species lives in in terms of the life of the universe (a big one when specifically addressing not just life, but intelligent life), the chances evolution has had around every planet in the universe to "succeed", and, hundreds of other things, including human nature. Things such as greed and control-motivations to cover up things et related.

I think I believe for better reasons now. I get better at looking at a fake video and claiming it's so. I've learned that there are actually crazy people who will make stuff up about aliens cause they're nuts. But ALL of them????.....that's A LOT of crazy people.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Actually I am MORE of a skeptic since I joined ATS.
I see too many hoaxes, frauds, and misidentifications on here on a regular basis.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I didn't buy into it, a lot of questions but, after looking and the HUGE amount of arrrgh'd evidence from ATS, it really gets you thinking.

And once you breakthrough all the stereotypes of UFO seers, you really have to just think about it.

I'd say, I wouldn't rule UFO (as in ET controlled aircraft) out just yet, it's something that really can hold it's own, thankfully to the wonderful work of many, especially on here, (yeah that's a shout out).

I have no personal experience, or even another's experience.

Just what i've heard and seen, and it may sneakingly seem logical to me, or it may just be rubbish.

I think it's got enough ground to stand on, that it should be heard.

To be honest, I didn't think people stupid who believed in them, but just curious, as a bystander in thought, and eventually looked at both sides, again and again, and theres alot I don't like about UFO's but, it still has, alot to be reviewed, and just some stuff you look at funny, cause there is no other way to look at it!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

And once you breakthrough all the stereotypes of UFO seers, you really have to just think about it.

that was huge as well. It's quite humbling sometimes.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I used to be a skeptic, i suppose it had something to do with my upbringing in a southern baptist family (not too big on accepting life forms outside of the bible). I had always kind of wondered though.

Then, i got away from my family and out on my own and had time to think on things, and to read up on it. I think the deciding moment was when I read some of Carl Sagans books and his thoughts on the subject clenched it for me. I don't see anything changing my mind on this, short of an actual god coming down and giving proof to the contrary.

I will say this though: I believe in UFOs and ETs, but I don't think they are here, on our planet, abducting Jim Bob and Bubba (Jim Bobs cow, if you didn't know).

Good post!

Edit to add: To clarify, when I say i believe in UFOs, i mean I think that there are ETs with capabilities at least similar to ours if not further advanced, just not here.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by ganja]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

My reply may not be well received, as my change of mind went the other way!

After seeing the illiogical, ignorant, rants of the zealots of the UFO religion, I recanted.

I realised what irrational loons so many of them are.

I respect a handful, and enjoy solid friendships with some, but most UFO-truthers, are just obnoxius, and uninformed. And it's not just the newer members. At least one senior member - who has been away, thankfully - has a lot to do with the ignorance and abrasive attitude of some of the newer members.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I was not a hardline skeptic, but I was what you might call an institutional skepic.

Working as a teacher at one of France's biggest universities, I was steeped in classic Russellian logic, being part of a paradigm that had very little tolerance for whatever cold not be reproduced in a lab experiment.

The UFO phenomenon to me was like a forbidden path that nevertheless had some attraction, kind of like sex to a monk. I couldn't help myself reading UFO articles and case reports, and wondering.

It took about ten or even fifteen years of seeing one unexplained report after another pass before my eyes, before I dared say to myself - and publicly - that people weren't just repeating the same hoax over and over again for decades, that there was actually a phenomenon, that needed to be studied seriously, because it could be the most important study in the history of mankind.

Quantum physics helped bring that paradigm down. The fact that we now find inconsistency in what we thought was the most consistent, realizing that the sharpest minds on this planet now considered multiverses and existence on higher dimensional planes possible created a new playground of thought for the UFO phenomenon. New discoveries in astrophysics as well, that the Universe - on simple probability theory - is probably teeming with life.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

You are right.There are millions of galaxcies and each galaxcy has a average number of about 300 billion star systems.The chances of life out there is in reallity quite certain.The chances of intellegent life out there is quite certain.Some intellegent species are so advanced they have had the ability to travel though space for millions of years.A advanced intellegent species who have been around for 50 million years would be quite advanced indeed.Just imagine how advanced the human race of this planet would become if it survived for another 50 million years.Take a look at us for a moment.Look at the years between the years 1900 and the year 2000.One hundread years is just a drop in the ocean of time compared to 50 million years.But during thoses 100 years the human race changed so much within a short period of time.Changes in science.medicine,weponary,commnication,travel and much much more within a small time period.Just imegine what we can do in another 100 years,or 1000 years.Still that is way short or 50 million years and we can accomplish so much even within 1000 years.Of course advanced aliens would have very advanced space ships that can travel light years within seconds.You would proberly wounder what kind of energy would be used to move space craft that quickly.The aliens have had millions of years to research and experiment with space travel.We have only had about 50 years.Theres no comparison there.Understand alien technology.We have along way to go before we fully understand some aspects of alien technologies.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by GORGANTHIUM]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GORGANTHIUM

exactly. I just can't accept all those facts and at the same time think there aren't aliens. My mind wont allow me to do it. I've gotten by well on assumptions based on much less.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
UFOs aren't a matter of belief, they are a matter of fact.

The question is, what are they? I used to believe that some were probably ET controlled, but after I started doing more research I found I wasn't getting the whole story about some UFO cases from the books I read, they were biased.

I think there is life elsewhere but now I no longer have the belief I once did that we have any proof it's visited Earth. I'm hoping someday we will have proof to confirm my belief in ET life. Even if ETs are thousands or millions of years more advanced than us in technology, that's no guarantee they will have developed faster than light travel though it's a possibility. But the speed of light could be the limit we really think it is to distant travel in space.

You have to research the cases for yourself, and keep an open mind to all possibilities, to come to the truth. There are some extraordinary UFO cases we can't explain, but there's just no proof they are ET, we just can't explain them. They are a fascinating mystery to me whatever they are.

For example how can we explain the 1976 Tehran case? It's a true UFO www.abovetopsecret.com...

But we don't know what that UFO really was, it was then, and is still unidentified.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Hi all,

WOW!! Deep thanks for all the replies wheather it was 1 or 1000!! I apologize for not setting an example of what I was specifically looking for but, be that as it may...I'll accept what I've gotten so far.
)

There're really great posts, some to which really speak to me personally..

here's what solidified my mind, so far, to what has been known as the UFO phenomena/alien abduction/Alien Encounter..

..around 1986ish(?), I was renting a basement room from a pastor/friend of mine. After coming up from the basement stairs to see what was going on now that the kids went to bed and walked through the kitchen, into the living room and Sam, as I will call him, jerked his head around and said with a excited voice & facial expression..

"WHOA! YOu have to check this out~! There's a group of ppl on ABC nightline saying they know there are aliens visiting the earth and said that they have bulbious heads with big black eyes.. "

as I stood there looking at him, his next comment was ..

"are you ok ?? what's the matter you look like you just saw a ghost, you look like you about to passout....." kinda chuckling a bit then realizing I wasn't joking. As I stood there in shocking horror and I was prolly was in shock, I never looked at the T.V. and just stood there looking at him ..

he walked over to me and helped me to the couch nearby, and asked if he could help....

When he said the word Big black eyes, my mind instantly flashed back to a very real, long forgotten, frightening memory of an episode in my early childhood days. I couldn't speak for about 2 mins it seemed but, as I started to recount my frighten experience of my childhood, I began to weep uncontrollably..I was 27 years old then.

After ALOT of consolidation, for what seemed like good 30 mins, I recounted my entire story to him and told him, "to me, their as real as the air we breath" ..

I told him of my other experience I had in 1977-78 as well (which you can locate it here )

we both looked at each other with a very long silence and then watched bit of the show that was left.. we never spoke of it again or ever brought up the subject either..and still don't.

THAT was my defining moment there is other life out there and that the WHOLE UFO phenomenon wasn't entirely alot of people making up stories.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll reply to each post personally. thx you all~!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkultraangel
Most people believe in UFO's
this is simply an acronym for an unidentified flying object---so let's say you see a falling star just as it falls out of you range of sight...if you don't know it's a falling star then it's a UFO. Well technically an unidentified falling object--but whatever.

As far as spaceships, alien crafts, or fleets of new-age planes that's another story.

I have always been a skeptic of aliens, but do believe that there is a lot of stuff flying around up there that we have never heard of or are meant to know about. Maybe it's the Germans?

Sorry to sound sarcastic, but what specifically are you talking about?

well, thx for the reply and your view but, I was looking specifically members USED to be skepics but who are now either hardline or middle of the road believers because of a personal experience they've had.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
I really gave it no thought until a little over a year ago. You may call me crazy but when Blossom Goodchild came out with her channeling, it got me interested in the subject.

I started reviewing the evidence for such a thing as a result of her claim. Obviously the event did not occur as predicted but I learned something through the process and now without any reservations believe there is other life out there.

I guess I wasn't a skeptic as much as I had never even entertained the concept or looked at the evidence.

intresting! thx you, never quit asking questions...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
I've become absolutely grounded in my belief in et's.

First and foremost, it's the general acceptance that there are lives in other worlds. I look at a picture on this site that contains hundreds of galaxies, reports that there are millions, suns with multiple planets near them, the general acceptance of us knowing so little about the universe, the era our species lives in in terms of the life of the universe (a big one when specifically addressing not just life, but intelligent life), the chances evolution has had around every planet in the universe to "succeed", and, hundreds of other things, including human nature. Things such as greed and control-motivations to cover up things et related.

I think I believe for better reasons now. I get better at looking at a fake video and claiming it's so. I've learned that there are actually crazy people who will make stuff up about aliens cause they're nuts. But ALL of them????.....that's A LOT of crazy people.

agreed Heyo, same here, there's alot of docs out there that are truely intresting reads...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I didn't buy into it, a lot of questions but, after looking and the HUGE amount of arrrgh'd evidence from ATS, it really gets you thinking.

I'd say, I wouldn't rule UFO (as in ET controlled aircraft) out just yet, it's something that really can hold it's own, thankfully to the wonderful work of many, especially on here, (yeah that's a shout out).

I have no personal experience, or even another's experience.

Just what i've heard and seen, and it may sneakingly seem logical to me, or it may just be rubbish.

I think it's got enough ground to stand on, that it should be heard.

To be honest, I didn't think people stupid who believed in them, but just curious, as a bystander in thought, and eventually looked at both sides, again and again, and theres alot I don't like about UFO's but, it still has, alot to be reviewed, and just some stuff you look at funny, cause there is no other way to look at it!!!

YES, it certainly does! LOL.. and once you see the documenation/papers/vids...it's almost you can't turn your mind off from asking even more questions .. LOL

thx

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ganja
I used to be a skeptic, i suppose it had something to do with my upbringing in a southern baptist family (not too big on accepting life forms outside of the bible). I had always kind of wondered though.

Then, i got away from my family and out on my own and had time to think on things, and to read up on it. I think the deciding moment was when I read some of Carl Sagans books and his thoughts on the subject clenched it for me. I don't see anything changing my mind on this, short of an actual god coming down and giving proof to the contrary.

I will say this though: I believe in UFOs and ETs, but I don't think they are here, on our planet, abducting Jim Bob and Bubba (Jim Bobs cow, if you didn't know).

Good post!

Edit to add: To clarify, when I say i believe in UFOs, i mean I think that there are ETs with capabilities at least similar to ours if not further advanced, just not here.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by ganja]

thx ganja! I know what you mean..I I completely agree with your statement ..--->To clarify, when I say i believe in UFOs, i mean I think that there are ETs with capabilities at least similar to ours if not further advanced, just not here
)

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mckyle
reply to post by Komodo

My reply may not be well received, as my change of mind went the other way!

After seeing the illiogical, ignorant, rants of the zealots of the UFO religion, I recanted.

I realised what irrational loons so many of them are.

I respect a handful, and enjoy solid friendships with some, but most UFO-truthers, are just obnoxius, and uninformed. And it's not just the newer members. At least one senior member - who has been away, thankfully - has a lot to do with the ignorance and abrasive attitude of some of the newer members.

Ah, sounds like you want things to go a certain way and this person is not going with the program? I'm not sure what eles I can say to the joker here lol.

Have a good day.

Good thread with lots of great stories. Of course I beleive in ET life, infact I spent most of my childhood and life trying to think there was no ET to protect me from my pain and grief.

I became aware of aliens very quick at 8, when I saw a picture. And mainly because I knew what has allready happened but I was so terrified at that time I didn't want to think about it. I woke up in sweats and screams from having fighting and kicking in my dreams but not be able to move only to wake up screaming and panting. Now I was 8 years old, and not "normal" so I was taken to every child mental docter we could. My childhood was filled with many different docter visits and they all came back with positive results and there was nothing wrong with me. Infact a few of them went as far as to say I had very good insight into my own problems and seemed to be a step ahead. My family supressed this information from me and manipulated me. In my fathers words "This is bull#, these people are nuts" because he did not get his way.
Clearly they saw me as having a problem and have manipulated and treated me like garbage for most of my life. That is how I was able to supress the bad memories of being taken at night.

The memories stopped when I got a little bit older but the fear was still there. I moved into a rebellous state that most kids go through but mine was more coming from aggression and pain to how I was being treated than rebelling. To all the screw ups and misstreatings and alone days and nights crying as my family abused me, I began to cocoon my life to save myself. This caused a hard shell to form, based on my insecurity of others

It wasn't that I didn't trust people. I saw through people, I dont need to have trust or not because mostly, I saw who you are. That was normal for me. I searched for alot of inner truth before I could write.

I remember having a conversation where I am 10-12 years old and giving a complete layout of the money controlling elites, how were all controlled and it made me angry because I used to think "Who made you god"

For along time I was having conversations and knowledge infusion from the stars. I was very connected and remember these conversations, feelings, and protection. They never took me, they never infringed on my beliefs, infact they would often times not help me when in despair and when they did, it was rare but they allways made me feel good.

I was talking so much that oftentimes I wouldn't know, it was automatic. I learned how to listen and use intent to request chat or other things. It wasn't until around the year 2005-06 that the strong messages came. It was something very special for me. Instead of a soft voice I coudn't make out it was almost a yell penetrating my entire soul and that is when I saw one of their ships up close and the dreams started to come and memories unlocked. Its getting to a point where truth is allready here.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by DarkCyrus]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join