It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else hate the way obama pronounces pakistan

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
From an American English dictionary,

Obama is correct!

Pa⋅ki⋅stan
  /ˈpækəˌstæn, ˌpɑkəˈstɑn/

[pak-uh-stan, pah-kuh-stahn]

–noun
1. Islamic Republic of, a republic in S Asia, between India and Afghanistan: formerly part of British India; known as West Pakistan from 1947–71 to distinguish it from East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). Capital: Islamabad.
2. (before 1947) the predominantly Muslim areas of the peninsula of India as distinguished from Hindustan, the predominantly Hindu areas.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimmy1880

I don't think that's actually in debate. Obama's pronunciation is technically a correct one, although I would add that many dictionaries indicate that the traditional American pronunciation is also acceptable. Here's an example.

Make sure and click on the audio pronunciation...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by genius/idoit

I do think you actually make an interesting observation.

It *is* strange that he chooses this pronunciation over one more consistent with his otherwise Americanized speech.

I speak a few foreign languages where I often encounter certain names and have the urge to pronounce them in accordance with their 'proper' native pronunciation. But I have found that there is almost always a subtle reaction by those whom I am speaking with that indicates I have drawn attention to my *difference* with them, rather than to the point I was actually making.

So I have stopped doing that because I realize how distracting it is.

Thank you for expressing the point so well. Starred.

This isn't about Obama so much as it is the trend of Americans especially the ones of foreign ancestry to emphasize just how educated they are.
It always bugs me when the the reporters on TV talk normal but when it comes to their ethnic name they pronounce it like they lived all their life in Guatemala. It is so pretentious.

If you have an accent that's okay, I certainly do. But even I don't say things like
"Ra-SI-yah" (Russia) or mangle any other word of the other foreign language that I know. I also don't get offended if people here don't say my name in the dialect of my relatives from the old country.

I hate this ethnic crap. And I'm ethnic! The "Poky-stan" definitely sucks, I don't care what the dictionary says. Can I say "crap" on ATS?

[edit on 2-12-2009 by tungus]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

It does'nt bother me in the least. He obviously calls them Pakiees so it makes sense that he would say Pak e stan

Must also use Talees, since he uses Tal E ban

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I went to school with an exchange student from Pakistan.

I asked him where he was from and he said, "Pack-i-stan".

I'm pretty sure he would know better than Obama...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by stereovoyaged

You do realize language keeps evolving, yes?

Not that I am an expert on the subject.

That really is no excuse, and not really true. The English language in America is devolving, an example, or two...

Through devolved into thru
Night devolved into nite
Colour into color
etc...etc...etc...

Our English language is obliviously either too difficult for Americans, or you are just really lazy.

The thing that bothers me more though is not spelling, but sentence structure and word emphasis.

An example,

American, 'Eye jus got given' an milyon DOLAARS'
An Englishman, "Someone just gave me a MILLION dollars'
(yeah cheesy example but too lazy and stupid to think of another one right now. (oh and for you Americans that was a joke, please don't take it literally))

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tungus

Originally posted by tungus
Thank you for expressing the point so well. Starred.

Thank you.

It always bugs me when the the reporters on TV talk normal but when it comes to their ethnic name they pronounce it like they lived all their life in Guatemala. It is so pretentious.

Bingo. That is a wonderful example.

If you have an accent that's okay...

You know what's funny? I never feel the impulse to Americanize English terms or names when speaking a foreign language. In fact, on the few ocassions where I have, I find I am not understood.

Can I say "crap" on ATS?

I assume so. I have been saying it on here for years...

crap
crap
crap

[edit on 2-12-2009 by loam]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I hate this ethnic crap. And I'm ethnic! The "Poky-stan" definitely sucks, I don't care what the dictionary says.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by tungus]

We're all ethnic.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimmy1880

No, according to the pronunciation, he's wrong. He says Pak-ee-stahn, while the IPA says that it's Pak-uh-stan. You even have the spelled pronunciations in your post!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I can no longer contribute to this conversation and it bothers me a little bit that this has gotten to 5 pages, lol, I'm out!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Hmm, looks like the neocons couldn't find too much to bitch about concerning the actual content of the speech. Then again, if they are hung-up on the fact that our president knows how to say the name of another country correctly, perhaps they missed some of the finer points of what Obama had to say.

Obama is being a leader, something we haven't had in awhile. He is dealing with an impossible situation, and I think it's time we give him a little time to do his thing. I VERY much appreciate his taking the necessary time to become an expert on topics concerning war and peace. Even the non-teabag wing of the conservatives have given props to Obama for his knowledge of the situation. While I am not gung-ho on continuing this war, I feel Obama is not a war monger, and thus will give him the benefit of the doubt on the plan he presented last night. He was deliberate and honest, and, thank god, not 'smoke em out' 'shock and awe' 'axis of evil' and on and on.

Why people take seeming pride in being a laughingstock, I cannot understand. Being a joke is not being a leader, no matter how many times you say USA#1. Obama is doing the hard work to make America respected again, and respect equals power. I'm sick of my great country being a laughingstock, it is so unbecoming and below us.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

At least he's not as brown nosed as the PM of Australia, speaking cantonese to the chinese just to get them to kiss his backside in return.

What a wanker.

A snobby little brat in a suit given the power of Prime Minister, and all he does is chuck tanties and spew redundant rhetoric then bugger off over seas with the family for a bit of a visit to whoever it is at the time.

A mother of a journalist held hostage in somalia, spoke with krudd and asked how long is too long before the Australian govt do something to secure her sons release, and the twat told her "Well if you're going to take that attitude, there is no point in us talking."

And you're complaining about pronunciation??????

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
The English language in America is devolving, an example, or two...

Through devolved into thru
Night devolved into nite
Colour into color
etc...etc...etc...

Our English language is obliviously either too difficult for Americans, or you are just really lazy.

The language is evolving, which means it's changing. Calling it de-evolution is a value judgment. Nothing "devolves." Everything evolves...

In fact, you could say the more concise spellings are closer to the original Germanic spellings.

English is a Germanic language, in case you didn't know. You can have that one for free, too.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by ForAiur]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Or should I say value judgEment?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Sorry, but not all americans mispronounce things with a southern accent.
sorry, but its true.
also, i'm not bothered by his pronunciation. saying things wrong is one of my biggest pet peeves.
and please, don't bash people due to race, ethnicity, etc., fellow americans, because the whites are probably the most oppressive race on earth.

also, debating linguistics is a sorry choice for an ATS thread. . . sorry.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by LocoHombre]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I would assume that those criticizing Bush's pronunciations realize that he is from Texas, and there are regional differences in pronunciations throughout the US. Someone in Mississippi is going to pronounec words differently from someone in North Dakota or the Bronx. Obviously, this does not apply to Obama's pronunciation of Pocky Ston. So while you are flaming an entire region of people by making fun of Bush's Texas drawl, you are also trying to make a point which does not compare.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Wow ....im suprised to see this became a thread, can't wait too read the post.

I was telling a friend last night as we watched that the way he pronounced "Pakistan" was wierd and went right along with all the other slightly odd things he has been doing.

mesa don't be ah trusting dat one.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
An American criticising someone else's pronunciation? Hilarious!

Seriously, why do you even claim to speak/write English at all? If I was to point out every pronuciation or spelling error I've ever come across from Americans I'd be here until the end of time, so I won't. However, I will mention my pet peeve (and I see it A LOT on this board) which is "would of" instead of "would have" or "would've". Drives me absolutely bleedin' mental!

I've seen people say the reason for the 'dumbing down' of English was to help immigrants to the U.S blend into society. Nonsense! Every other English speaking nation on Earth gets immigrants and they don't seem to have a problem with it. Why does Amurrica?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sotp

I've seen people say the reason for the 'dumbing down' of English was to help immigrants to the U.S blend into society. Nonsense! Every other English speaking nation on Earth gets immigrants and they don't seem to have a problem with it. Why does Amurrica?

It's a conspiracy, dude

Maybe it's something to do with the difficulty of pronouncing multisyllabic words while their feet are in their mouths.

(disclaimer: I know lots of intelligent, well-adjusted people from the United States of America. It is a shame that the vocal rednecks shape our perceptions).

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I believe Obama is pronouncing Pakistan correctly. What should have bothered people is the way GW Bush pronounced the name of his own country 'Merica

..ahem, actually it was Murka!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join