It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else hate the way obama pronounces pakistan

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by stereovoyaged

You do realize language keeps evolving, yes?

Not that I am an expert on the subject.

To what content are you refering to as an evolution of language??

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
yeah man - its like - ya know, when Mexicans say "Mehico" instead of MEXEKO

or when, you know, people say COPE EN HOGGEN, instead of COPE UN HAGEN

ya know, we Americans, we are the DECIDERS...we decide...its like that old saying

Fool me once....shame.....shame on you......fool me twice.........................................................................................................................ya...ya can't fool me again.

To hell with the way people pronounce their own countries. Americans recognize NOBODY!!!!!!!

/end imitation of OP

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

LOL I enjoy your posts and Thundercats, wish I could start twice!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Sun tines bee for I use two ghet axe cited win sun one wood right son thing wrong caws I new I was such a gud spellar. Now I dunt get werkt up at awl cause I no weez awl jus tryin to may kit threw lifes in one peace.
He still be bend and bow barry to me.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I believe Obama is pronouncing Pakistan correctly. What should have bothered people is the way GW Bush pronounced the name of his own country 'Merica

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Or should we just make up our own names for countries entirely?

We already do this. Have you ever heard of, in English, nations called Deutschland, Österreich, Magyarorszag, Eire, Türkiye, or Suomi? All of those are what the natives call their land but we give it a different name in English.

ETA: Just thought of this one. Here's another example of English changing a place name. München for some reason becomes Munich. Where'd the "i" come from?

English isn't the only language that does this though. Every language changes country and city names to some degree. "Magyarorszag" becomes "Ungarn" in German. "England" becomes "Anglia" in Hungarian. And so on into eternity.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I hate the way BO says Pakistan, but it does annoy me. The reason being that there is an English way to pronounce it, which is deemed correct. When I lived in Hungary, it drove me up the wall when I would be talking to an American friend and when we were talking about the capital, Budapest, they would pronounce it the Hungarian way (Budapesht). I think it bothers me because, in my opinion, it disrupts the flow of speech. If he is going to do this though, I think he should go all out and start saying city/country names the way that natives do for every place. Have fun with Magyarorszag, Mr. President.

In the end, this isn't a big deal. The world will keep on turning...hopefully!

ETA: For those that are saying that "pak-uh-stan" is incorrect, that's not so. Here are the IPA accepted pronunciations for Pakistan:

pækəˌstæn and ˌpɑkəˈstɑn

Which come out to be, when spelled, pak-uh-stan, pah-kuh-stahn

[edit on 12/2/2009 by octotom]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

If the Brits speak English so well, why do they add a "u" to some words? Don't they know that it's wrong?

Really though, I read an article some time back that said that Americans not adding a "u" into words like color and honor is more correct than than adding it. It has something to do with words being taken from other languages or being native English words. It was kinda interesting...to a nerd like me.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
If the Brits speak English so well, why do they add a "u" to some words? Don't they know that it's wrong?

Or put an "-er" on the end of words that end in an "-a"

Example: "Obama" is butchered into "Obamer"

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I believe Obama is pronouncing Pakistan correctly. What should have bothered people is the way GW Bush pronounced the name of his own country 'Merica

Nah. We sort of expected stuff like that with Dubya. I don't think anyone ever accused him of being the sharpest knife in the drawer and it was pretty obvious that he wasn't an English major during his time in college.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Do you honestly think he took the time to learn how to pronounce it correctly?

No, I don't hate the way he pronounces Pakistan.

To me, it is very revealing. This is the way he has always pronounced it.

Like I said, before I say anything wrong.

It's very REVEALING as to who he really is.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by MagicaRose]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Would you prefer he prenounced it in an inbred cowbody voice..... similar to bush saying "Eayerrann" for Iran.

I find obama's speeches annoying and naive anyway, so it's his whole speeches on foreign policies that I can't stand.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by john124]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124
reply to post by genius/idoit

Would you prefer he prenounced it in an inbred cowbody voice..... similar to bush saying "Eayerrann" for Iran.

I find obama's speeches annoying and naive anyway, so it's his whole speeches on foreign policies that I can't stand.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by john124]

Thats EXACTLY what they want, heaven forbid a man be educated or articulite. Why not just hold the presidential inauguration at the indy 500 and kill two birds with one stone. I have never seen so many Americans show their true COLOURS as I have since Obama was elected.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Haha this is soo funny. I have thought the exact same thing. I know he is trying to say it the Arab way but it does sound funny when he says it that way. This just goes to show that no thought is really original!

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Starseed32]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starseed32
Haha this is soo funny. I have thought the exact same thing. I know he is trying to say it the Arab way
[edit on 2-12-2009 by Starseed32]

You do realise Pakistan is not an actual arab nation?.

You can have that one for free.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
reply to post by zazzafrazz

It's very REVEALING as to who he really is.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by MagicaRose]

A guys whose parents sent him to school in Pakistan?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I wanna know how many of the people who are bothered by the way he says it are bothered because it sounds wierd (like stewie saying cool whip) or are bothered by the fact that saying it that way in their minds makes him a muslim, or terrorist, or communist or whatever the hell else.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
If the OP isn't a troll then it's very sad that there are still ignorant people who fail to celebrate diversity.
Linguistically, the North American Continent has a wide range of languages and 'Americanese' is more than just one proscribed way of speaking. Maybe she doesn't get out much and travel within her own country, because then she would hear many different methods of pronunciation.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
well as we all know obama is a muslim. maybe thats how muslims pronounce it.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Its annoying because it just sounds ridiculous compared to how he speaks otherwise. As someone said earlier, its like that one jerk you know who always tries to imitate a foreign accent when he speaks a foreign word, but he can't pull it off convincingly at all. Its the same thing.

Again, its not really important, just an annoyance of mine and with Obama, it just doesn't flow naturally and seems painfully out of place and, to be quite honest, fake.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
From an Amercan English dictionary,

Obama is correct!

Pa⋅ki⋅stan
  /ˈpækəˌstæn, ˌpɑkəˈstɑn/

[pak-uh-stan, pah-kuh-stahn]

–noun
1. Islamic Republic of, a republic in S Asia, between India and Afghanistan: formerly part of British India; known as West Pakistan from 1947–71 to distinguish it from East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). Capital: Islamabad.
2. (before 1947) the predominantly Muslim areas of the peninsula of India as distinguished from Hindustan, the predominantly Hindu areas.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join