It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else hate the way obama pronounces pakistan

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit

Because I'm an American citizen

[edit on 1-12-2009 by genius/idoit]

Ignorance... &^@! YEAH!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Ok, let's all say it together.
Ready?

Pocky-Ston

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Wait wait. If we have pocky-stan, does that mean someone else is getting shiska-sushi?

Mmmm. Shiskasushi

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Ok, let's all say it together.
Ready?

Pocky-Ston

The way he says this has bugged me since before he got elected so I've heard it way more that I'd care too. And I beg to disagree with your version. Its not Pocky.

He says it like this:

PAAAH'-Kee-stahn

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Who cares what this man does he is nothing but a pawn. It does sound kinda silly though, its like a someone from the American south trying to speak with a British accent all the time. He is just changing his accent for one a few words.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by IamLael

I don't disagree with your unabridged version of the pronunciation but no need to get extremely technical.
It bugs me a bit too, but we need to keep it simple and not take it too seriously.

Besides, he's probably doing it intentionally just to irk some folks, just like Bush did with his "NOOK YUH LER"

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Who cares what this man does he is nothing but a pawn. It does sound kinda silly though, its like a someone from the American south trying to speak with a British accent all the time. He is just changing his accent for one a few words.

He's pronouncing it the way it is supposed to be pronounced, this has nothing to do with accent, it has everything to do with the way the word is spoken.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Oh, you actually have problem with how he pronounce pakistan(which he is doing right)......
SIR,WITH ALL DUE RESPECT THATS CRAZY.....

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Language evolves Zazz... it could be said that, American is on it's way to being distinct from English particular in certain areas...

And lol, I don't actually know that the world beyond England and OZ cringes when we say anything we are just slowly deviating from the Queens good English and it's accelerating, it's really only natural over time and numbers of people that different pronunciations arise... Canadians don't say it that way either...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I have to admit, not having access to a television or the internet for some time this is the first I have heard him pronounce Pakistan. Do I care how he pronounces it? Not unless it's the wrong way, 'cause then he's just a moran.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I ACTUALLY LIKE THE WAY HE SAY PAKISTAN,..
AND I DIDNOT SAY I LIKE HIM

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

Well that happens to be the first time I have ever heard it pronounced like that, right or wrong, but I still argue that there was a distinct change in accent.
He could pronounce it the same way with out the change in accent.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by calstorm]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Seriously and aside from my jokes on the subject...

He is pronouncing it correctly.

And it is respectful to them, but the way we speak is different no one judges a Japanese man for not being able to say his R's because he doesn't use them regularly or any other group that says... Ameika or Amedica when they talk...

We might not be saying it right but I don't think Most of us Judge anyone else from a non Western Culture for not knowing the way we pronounce things or simply being unable too.

It's right but it does sound funny to us.

In any event...

It doesn't actually warrant a thread lol even if I don't personally like Obama it's sort of silly to make it an issue

I don't know, I think it's sort of cool that Language evolves over time...

Great Book out there Riddley Walker en.wikipedia.org...

It's 2000 years in the future won a great deal of awards the whole thing is writeen in a form of Language having evolved from it's present course... quite amazing and just goes to show language isn't static, there really is No "proper" English or any other language it's always changing form.

Even the net has forever changed our language.

And bottom line Obama is just more worried what others think than we think, it's admittedly a lame example, but he doesn't nearly much care how we hear him as he cares how others here him.

I know a big and important goal of his si to correct the US image but that''s not going to happen during troop surges just because you say Pakistan correctly is it?

Right or wrong I do think he should be engaging us a bit more and the world a bit less... our image is a problem yes but come on, the place is a mess here right now, appeal to the people you lead....

"Evens if we does talk a bit funny"

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
It's kind of like the way many news commentators speak normal English until they reach a Spanish word and they start channeling Ricky Ricardo for a few words. It does come across as pretentious, even if it is correctly pronounced.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

Well that happens to be the first time I have ever heard it pronounced like that, right or wrong, but I still argue that there was a distinct change in accent.
He could pronounce it the same way with out the change in accent.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by calstorm]

Then what accent is he using? I heard his normal voice that he always uses and the pronunciation of Pakistan, I think your reading into it to much, but i'm open to your theory.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Tall-e-baan too.

And yes,people can start threads about the way Obama says a couple words.I've seen threads on things that were much more moranic

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I do not like his voice, i never listen to his speeches. Just something like op says. If i do not like a persons voice i will not listen to them, i hated bush, and now i do not like obama. I just do not like his voice at all.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Yes it's annoying. But what was even more annoying was when he wore those hideous out of style mom jeans to throw out a baseball at opening day last year. LMAO!

How do you pronounce Qatar? I remember a few years ago Foxnews was pronouncing it "cutter". I always thought it was pronounced "Cuh tar"?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
We are such a nation of ridiculous extremes.

Last president sounds like he is seriously missing part of his frontal lobe...

Next guy, utterly over does the Pretentiousness and can't shut the heck up a day of his life, not sure he hasn't spent the entire presidency thus far demonstrating how well he speaks...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Next guy, utterly over does the Pretentiousness and can't shut the heck up a day of his life

Wow-Now I know why you talk about him all the time... you two have a lot in common

...and the whole frontal lobe thing even..

..........which was funny BTW

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join