It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just watched The Road, got me thinking about Long term survival without sun

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
If the sun went out we would reach temperatures of –100° F (about –400° F stable temperature after a million years or so) in a years time. There would be no photosynthesis, therefore the oxygen supply would dwindle indefinitely. There would be no means of survival except that of artificial "domes" or the like.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I would wait for the EARTH TO WONDER INTO ANOTHER STARS ORBIT. If I was blessed with the time to and I would assume the sky to be blue for a while. As far as surviving till then INVADE INNER EARTH LEME IN OPEN SAYSAME LOL.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer
So what do you do? There is no sun so cant use solar power for electricity, no sun for green houses and gardens. Food stock I dont care who you are 99.99% will run out after 7 years. This was 10 years after the event. Also remember there are other desperate survivors willing to do anything and I mean anything to survive, that you have to contend with.

So what kind of sustainable plan is there?

I would do well because I am one of the few people in the world who know that you can grow food with hydroponics, and get full spectrum lights that act like the sun, and know how to make electricity with a diesel generator that I can rummage from the ruins of Home Depot, which will burn diesel and generate enough power to power a house or gas station that can fit in a kids wagon.

Not only that I know about reverse osmosis water purification because I am one of the few people in the world who has one at his grocery store across the street.

I also know about mold and fungus, and that lysol spray kills mold and fungus. I also know that Sanuvox air filters can filter air and destroy chemicals in the air as well.

And for trips through the radiation zone, nothing beats your handy dandy Demron suit. Just toss it in the wash when you get back.

Can't find diesel? Then check out O.P.E.C. suck my exhaust in youtube.
HHO is made from water and can burn and power anything.

Grow lights like halides, in conjunction with hydroponics, like a system where you grow plants in rock wool, and spray the roots with nutrients, has a yield at least 10 times that of normal outdoor agriculture.

8 weeks to mature vegetables. So if you have 4 rooms, which will operate automatically, and you stagger the growth cycle, then you have a room full of vegetables, every 2 weeks. Plus you can nibble on them while they are growing. So you could feed more than one person.

With just 4 rooms, 2 lights in each room, one for growth, and one to trigger flowering.
www.hydroempire.com...

[edit on 8-12-2009 by Osiris555]

[edit on 8-12-2009 by Osiris555]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join