It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martian "Square Cave Opening" a pyramid shadow!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
It kind of looks like the corner of a wall;
there are 2 lines leading up to it forming a right angle;

I think the walls got blasted away and only the corner piece survived;
the position of the rubble and disturbance of the terrain around it looks like there was a blast upwards towards the northeast

[edit on 4-12-2009 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Well it is vaguely 4 sided but it doesn't seem very symmetrical and it doesn't have a square base.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac3d92d0f77d.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 12/1/2009 by Phage]

I'm very surprised by your observations. I view it as very 4-sided, quite symmetrical, and having a square base.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest

I'm very surprised by your observations. I view it as very 4-sided, quite symmetrical, and having a square base.

I'll appreciate your posting the source for this photo so that I can look at it.
How did you find it?

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

I couldn't do anything with that image, but the image below is a crop of the original photo, at 100% zoom and a resolution of 25 cm/pixel.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/be1b5c26b3406420.png[/atsimg]

With the sunlight coming from that direction I think that what we see is just the shadow of that small hill, and looking at the area where the shadow is projected I think that the shape of the shadow may be somewhat distorted because the ground is not completely flat on that area.

The original image can be found here.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike

Originally posted by truthquest

I'll appreciate your posting the source for this photo so that I can look at it.
How did you find it?

You're talking to the wrong person. Note how in the message the picture is part of me quoting someone else... you can click on their name in the quote box and U2U them your question about the source.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by The Shrike

I couldn't do anything with that image, but the image below is a crop of the original photo, at 100% zoom and a resolution of 25 cm/pixel.

With the sunlight coming from that direction I think that what we see is just the shadow of that small hill, and looking at the area where the shadow is projected I think that the shape of the shadow may be somewhat distorted because the ground is not completely flat on that area.

The original image can be found here.

Thanks for posting the image and for the link to the original image.

While I did describe it as a pyramid in my OP, hill is good enough but the hill has a pyramidal shape to it as opposed to being a round or other shape hill. You can see sides delineated.

I went to the original image and I was just lost! I don't see how anyone can find any shape in that image. But then again, I don't have sophisticated software as you must have or your skill at figuring out centimeters!

My main objective was to not let "cave" become the dominant description by those who would have accepted it as such.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Since you are a Forum Moderator and quite knowledgeable about photography, can you analyze why I'm having a problem with my Avatar photo? I originally posted a size of 300x257 which is small to begin with. When I saw the effect, I deleted the 300x257 photo from ATS and brought in a cropped 150x128. I was surprised to see that the smaller photo had no effect. I just don't know what to do to put my complete photo as an Avatar. If you can offer me assistance I'll appreciate it.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike
While I did describe it as a pyramid in my OP, hill is good enough but the hill has a pyramidal shape to it as opposed to being a round or other shape hill. You can see sides delineated.
Yes, there are many of those on Mars, some small, some large, but all in similar looking places.

I went to the original image and I was just lost! I don't see how anyone can find any shape in that image.
It's a question of practice; I looked at Google Earth for some features that I could use as clues to find the right place. That's why without any coordinates it's almost impossible to find it.

That page has the resolution in centimetres per pixel on the "OBSERVATION TOOLBOX", along with other information about the conditions in which the photo was taken (Sun angle, Sun height, etc.)

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Has it ever occured to you that this might be ancient, and the square bottom as been buried under thousands of years of dust?

<< 1  2  3   >>

join