It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autralia's Parliament Defeats Global Warming Bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Autralia's Parliament Defeats Global Warming Bill

news.yahoo.com

SYDNEY – Australia's Parliament defeated legislation to set up a greenhouse gas emissions trading system on Wednesday, throwing a central plank of the government's plans to combat global warming into disarray.

The Senate, where Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's government does not hold a majority, rejected his administration's proposal for Australia to become one of the first countries to install a so-called cap-and-trade system to slash the amount of heat-trapping pollution that industries pump...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com
www.npr.org
www.ajc.com
www.telegraph.co.uk< br />
Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Australian Parliament-Opposition To Get Front-Bench Shake-Up

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
WOW! So we suddenly go from a straight-up revolt within Australia's Liberal Party, to THIS.

Well, let me ask again, how does everyone feel about this, and what does it mean to the larger picture at hand here?

If anything, I dare say that this should at least make the United States Congress think twice before passing any likewise legislation beyond that which occurred this summer in the Lower House.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Me, Im happy with the outcome so lets hope the outcome stays this way.

If you read about the idea the government had it was going to handout benifits to the companys who they where going to tax so it just end up been us tax payers paying for this straight up anyway.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Big oil sure has a firm grip on our reality!
Too bad, australia is witnessing climate change in a big way.

So nothing gets done at all and we bury our heads in the
increasingly deep sand? Of course.
Its that tax boogey man thing again.
Greed and paranoia are our best friends!
Star for the find!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Thumbs up!

Congratulations!

About damn time someone decided to stand up and not accept the con job of "cap and scam".

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Dodadoom, if the climate is changing so bad why the hell was it generally hotter in the early 1900's that it is now. Those old steam trains must of been putting out some wicked pollution compared to our coal powered power stations

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Well now we cannot even trust GW data, because we know that it has been altered. Even if we could, who is to say global warming isn't just part of our entire solar system showing signs of warming. Even if it was humans fault, what are we accomplishing by taxing the hell out of everyone in the middle of a worldwide economic crisis?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Be under no dillusions, this vote has nothing to do with Global warming or taxation.
Its political power and votes pure and simple. Abbott finally got his chance to assume power over the opposition party over this debate, it has nothing to do with national agenda. Carbon emission trading is just a strawman.

All this has done is opened the door to a double disollusion which can trigger early elections. Which is what Abbot wants, he wants an election now whilst he's new and fresh. Labour will not call it.

Its about votes, elections, and has nothing whatsover to do with enviroment and national interest.

Ms Gillard says the government doesn't intend to call an early poll, even though Labor now has a trigger for a double-dissolution election.

"The prime minister, on a number occasions, has said it's his intention to have the parliament go full term," she said.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

[edit on 2-12-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Climate change solutions start with China and the USA.
Imagine if you had 1000 people screaming.. and you asked one to stop.
What in gods name is that going to accomplish?

There's no point in Australia complicating and taxing an already overly complicated and taxed system, if its not going to mean one iota of difference.

If we were fair dinkum about this, we'd buil the worlds largest solar farm. something that could be seen from space, throw it in the middle of the country. im talking massive, something the size of tasmania....

our sunbaked land covered in solar panels would produce a hell of a lot of energy.

We could have the aboriginals maintain it ( gives them jobs, in their own lands, keeps them off the streets and off the dole )

We could put billions and billions into Panel research..
because, afterall.. if there's one country in the world that knows ' the sun '
Its those pesky Ozzi's

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Very glad this ETS is going down the drain! And good to see a real opposition question this AGW hoax.

Here are some good blogs covering this well:

blogs.news.com.au...
www.australianclimatemadness.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well I guess this is a good thing but I wonder what the repercutions are from the UN / America etc....

In the end the goverment will just be bullied into going along with it or face the consequences....

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Hey, Just and FYI - IF you really believe CO2 is a problem then YOU need to demand a real solution... not this money and power grab with cap & scam. Don't fall for the BS $145 TRILLION Dollar Cap & Trade scam that ENRON wanted so badly. There is an easy solution if it is a true problem.

Here is the solution... 2 years! That is all it would take.
www.time.com...

Yeah, 1-2 years. That is the solution, NOT the bull S#it Carbon Credit Financial Scam of the century.

www.newscientist.com...

With his 90th birthday in July, a trip into space scheduled for later in the year and a new book out next month, 2009 promises to be an exciting time for James Lovelock. But the originator of the Gaia theory, which describes Earth as a self-regulating planet, has a stark view of the future of humanity. He tells Gaia Vince we have one last chance to save ourselves - and it has nothing to do with nuclear power

Your work on atmospheric chlorofluorocarbons led eventually to a global CFC ban that saved us from ozone-layer depletion. Do we have time to do a similar thing with carbon emissions to save ourselves from climate change?

Not a hope in hell. Most of the "green" stuff is verging on a gigantic scam. Carbon trading, with its huge government subsidies, is just what finance and industry wanted. It's not going to do a damn thing about climate change, but it'll make a lot of money for a lot of people. - (skip a few questions)

There is one way we could save ourselves and that is through the massive burial of charcoal. It would mean farmers turning all their agricultural waste - which contains carbon that the plants have spent the summer sequestering - into non-biodegradable charcoal, and burying it in the soil. Then you can start shifting really hefty quantities of carbon out of the system and pull the CO2 down quite fast.

Would it make enough of a difference?

Yes. The biosphere pumps out 550 gigatonnes of carbon yearly; we put in only 30 gigatonnes. Ninety-nine per cent of the carbon that is fixed by plants is released back into the atmosphere within a year or so by consumers like bacteria, nematodes and worms. What we can do is cheat those consumers by getting farmers to burn their crop waste at very low oxygen levels to turn it into charcoal, which the farmer then ploughs into the field. A little CO2 is released but the bulk of it gets converted to carbon. You get a few per cent of biofuel as a by-product of the combustion process, which the farmer can sell. This scheme would need no subsidy: the farmer would make a profit. This is the one thing we can do that will make a difference, but I bet they won't do it.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
A poll in the Herald Sun newspaper showed that the majority of Australians were against passing this Global Warming Bill. That was the outcome - therefore I think this is great news.

If we were fair dinkum about this, we'd buil the worlds largest solar farm. something that could be seen from space, throw it in the middle of the country. im talking massive, something the size of tasmania....

our sunbaked land covered in solar panels would produce a hell of a lot of energy.

I'm afraid that would be a very unwise thing to do. See the sig.

[edit on 1/12/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

About time we have some solutions instead of insults and denial!
Have a well deserved star!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Trigger82

Check out my post here if interested.
www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=dodadoom

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

It appears that the green movement has distorted your view of reality more than the oil companies.

CO2 cannot produce the kind of warming we are being warned about, nor can it even explain the rises of past decades. It's simple mathematics, and you can actually view these calcs here.

This is great news for freedom and individuality. Now, let us hope this news reaches the US Congress before we are swept up in the biggest conspiracy to befall mankind in our era... CO2 Cap & Trade.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
You know what I hope, I hope there is no US invasion of Australia because Australia didn't agree with the copenhagen treaty

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to

This is great news for freedom and individuality. Now, let us hope this news reaches the US Congress before we are swept up in the biggest conspiracy to befall mankind in our era... CO2 Cap & Trade.

TheRedneck

It will pass third time in February next year, as I posted above this has nothing to do with individual or national interests, rather it was a strawman used to usurp power in the opposition ranks.

Refer back to this post in FEB, you'll see all they will do is trade off a few componenets to look like there was a negotiation, but in the end it will be passed as economics demand it.......

If any Australian believes that this anti bill posturing was anything to do with Global warming beliefs or stances on taxation for emmissions, they have truly been hoodwinked.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

First of all, thanks! I wish it was. I can pretend too!
Besides having solar panels and windmills just allows me to save money!
And insure power during grid interuptions! Screw global warming!

From your post in your link it says this:

It has been theorized that the use of antropogenic (man-made) carbon dioxide is the reason for the recently observed warming trend from ca. 1960-1998. The present level of CO2 in the troposphere is stated by multiple sources as being on the order of 380 ppmv[1] or 0.038% of the atmosphere. This represents an increase, based on the most liberal estimates I have uncovered for pre-industrial levels of 280 ppmv[2], of 100 ppmv or 0.01%. Since this base point is considered to be 'safe and natural', it would logically follow that any warming would have to be associated with the 0.01% increase and it alone.

That doesnt even make sense!
That is an increase of almost 30%!
Not .01%!
Thats almost a third more CO2 in just 38 years compared to millions!
And then due to this slight math mixup, it of course would then be considered safe and normal? WTF?
Sorry, not buying it.
Btw, its a link to a blog, not a research paper!

The point is we are not helping things and possibly risking our future!
The rapid change is not only alarming it is worrysome!
Not matter whos fault it is, mother nature or mans',
we better come up with ways to deal with it!
Agreed, besides cap and trade.
But if we dont make the polluters pay, who will?
Oh, ya, we reward them or bail them out....silly me.

It sure would be nice if we could consider conservation as our friend though. One day we may start running out of stuff.
If we dont take the lead and do something to help ourselves,
the world wont ever either.
Would be cool for the children's future worlds sake anyway.
Call me crazy that way. Thanks again!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Sorry about the half snap before im at work annoyed. But the biggest thing I dont like about this GW thing is all the extra taxes they try to impose,

Now i know this is a big call but if the problem is as big as they make out why not ditch the tech thats causes the problem and introduce a proper solution that doesnt make certain peoples wallets bigger through taxes

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join