It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if predictions really came true?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
What would you do if one of these predictions came true? Like, if somebody accurately specifically foretold some attack or natural disaster or other event?

People on this board who predict things like "on such a day, a terrorist strike will happen in wherever" -- what do you think will happen if you're right? I don't care where you get the information from--a dream, an intuition, interpreting a strangely-shaped corn-flake. What do you think the response will be?

I suggest if you haven't seen Final Destination, you rent it out. What happens to the poor schmuck who predicts the plane disaster in that movie is pretty much what will happen.

Heck, the only predictions you're really safe to make are "and then the world ends" ones--'cause if you're right, nobody will be around to care.

Sorry if I sound preachy here--it's just that whenever I flip through this Predictions forum I get the sense that most people don't take it seriously...like, they never visualize that predictions are more than just a parlor game. Whereas, accurate predictions are actually more common than you think. Your mom or cousin or co-worker might have had several, ranging from the banal to the horrible--they just know not to talk about it.

Then again, I remember what Penn from Penn & Teller said on a recent Nostradamous special -- if somebody really did foretell 911 and didn't tell someone, they should be thrown in jail for letting innocent lives be lost.

Any thoughts?

(by the way, on May 24th it will rain frogs)

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
If you predicted an event and managed to change it wouldn`t that mean that the predition you had was the result before you did something or as a result of your actions.

just a quick thought

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The problem with predictions is that even if you are good at it, you always going to have a doubt. I you have a dream of a accident how do you know is going to become true? You really don't know until it happends and then is to late to do the prediction. They day of 9/11 as I was driving to work I feel very sad and I looked at the sky and it seemed gloomy to me, so I though I am going to have a bad day today at work I can feel it. Then that morning hell broke loose, I had a premonition but not in my wildest dream I will have imagine that something like this will happend and I know that hundreds of people feel something in the days before this tragedy and on the day of it, I guess unless the prediction is crystal clear and specific in day and time we just don't know.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I certainly think it's possible to alter the future by acting on a prediction. That's what they tried to do in the movie Final Destination -- though Death got really peed-off about it (something to think about).

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Most people dont take it seroisly. But if in fact they did predict something tragic I wonder how they woud feel about it.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
My biggest fear is that I would be blamed for something I have predicted. I assume you mean global only right? That scares me.
It is much easier to do personal predictions than global events. A lot safer too IMO.
I havent seen the movie you suggested, sounds good. Will keep an eye out for it.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Would you be stronge enough mentally to cope with predictions imagine that they were that accurate to notice details.

Major stress levels.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
Would you be stronge enough mentally to cope with predictions imagine that they were that accurate to notice details.

I have experienced something somewhat like what you are asking. Wasnt a prediction though, was picking up on past trauma. Its one of the reasons I backed away from everything for a bit, some things hurt when you get them. I once felt the entire abuse of a person in about 1 or 2 seconds, and all I wanted to do after was curl up into a ball and cry. Even thinking about it now makes it hurt a little in my chest. And that was an experience 2 years ago.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Wow never had anything like that.

Just instincts l suppose that made me feel uncomfortable.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Cassie, that's not true that death follows you, that's the fictional side of that movie.

While I was living in Spain after school, I was about 15 years old, my parents always drove me to my dojo because it was kind of far away, one day I decided for some reason to go earlier, my parents told me this but i resolutely told them I wanted to walk there, something told me it was better for me to walk that day. It took me about an hour and a half to get to my dojo walking at a fast pace. When I went back home my parents told me they had an accident. The brakes on their car didn't work, the car spinned and crashed against a bus stop. My parents were okay, they were both wearing seat belts, but there were no seat belts in the back seats, so I could have been badly injured.

I didn't know for sure an accident would happen, because if I did I would have told my parents, but something did make me not get on the car that day. There have been other times that i think I was able to avoid at least being harmed in some way thanks to some sort of precognition, but death has not followed me in any way, accidents happen, and sometimes the subconcious mind, or the collective conciousness, tries to warn us of these accidents.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

TextI certainly think it's possible to alter the future by acting on a prediction

Yes it is possible, I you have a premonition and something does not feel right you can avoid confrontation with that something. Example you are driving and this feeling comes of something is not right on the road ahead and you decide to turn and avoid the road ahead and bang! you hear a crash, making the turn may very well had altered destiny. But will never know it you were destined to be in that crash I guess nobody will ever know but you know that you avoided and are safe.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
Wow never had anything like that.

Well, if you ever do, I feel for you. My advice to anyone who does, is find a way to either block it, or be able to somehow dull it down.

I worked on a chatsite for a medium for the last 2 years, just recently stepped down because I couldnt handle some of the things I would see and the stress was to much, that and lack of time cause my life got rather busy for a bit. A lot of people think its really cool, but dont understand that its not all that cool sometimes. Its hard to see a person die and distance yourself from it. What made it even harder for me, was that I wasnt allowed to tell people what I would see. The only person who could give information was the man who owned the site.And I do highly respect that because I understand the reasoning behind it. The rest of us Mods or OPs as we were called were there to be support, and share our understanding of what he does and what we uinderstand the afterlife to be.

Psychic abilities when in full bloom are very hard to cope with sometimes. I got lucky, and found what I needed at just the right time and for the most part was able to turn that switch off in my head so that I could block most of it. I still think thats why I was there, spirit led me there to learn to turn it off.

Sounds bizarre, but thats the the way it is.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Final Destination is a pretty cool movie. If some does actually predict something that will hapen, it will be just a good guess. But, I am sure they will win instant fame, have a following, and make tons of money on appearence and book deals. That is if they do not predict the end of the world...... So, I suggest predict big even enough to make you rich and stay away from the world ending ones....

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Sometimes predictions do come true. Sorting them out is the hard part...They can come at strange unprovoked times. You could be just picking up someone's thoughts.....Several months back a thought entered my mind. I push it out because I thought it was ridiculous. It did happen a few days later. It is true, if you predict a terriorist attack and it happens you will be investigated, but after it is found that you weren't involved, they will most likely leave you alone. You will have to decide for yourself if it is worth it. Don't be afraid of being wrong.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Everyone can make predictions that come true so it may be taken lightly. Finding someone that has anywhere close to 100 percent true predictions that are specific and come true almost all the time would be a wonder indeed. It may be difficult to prove unless we could all see documented time stamps before and after events. One or two correct predictions could also be considered lucky guesses, a record or history is needed to be believed.

Another way to look at it is if 100 people made predictions for an earthquake in Iran each on a different day and an earthquake happened within the next 100 days, then someone made an accurate prediction. With only one prediction, it was a lucky guess. Someone had to get it right. Now if this same person predicted the next earthquake accurately, I might pay more attention to this person's predictions as something more than a lucky guess. If you take this info along with the assumption that you can change future events to prevent predictions from coming true, then predictions could almost seem like fortune telling. You never know when it's true.

top topics

join