It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Rant to Cop Haters

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I've posted a few of my experiences with Police on a few of the recent threads...so won't post them again other than to say when you're a poor, brown minority and grow up in a low socio-economic area inhabitted by other poor brown minorities you tend to see the Police as little more than a Gang wearing different insignia.

Had my fair share of beatdowns over the years at their hands.

I can understand where this dis-like for Police comes from. At the end of the day if all you've ever been served up is bad spinach then its unlikely you're going to become a spinach fan. You're instead likely to push it to the side of your plate in disgust.

That said - I have met, and personally know - some good Cops as well.

Sure, they aren't Angels 100% of the time...they occasionally get angry, they react when pushed and pushed, but they don't go out of their way to be a-holes.
In fact I've seen them put up with crap from people that I'd personally be knocking some fool on their butt for.

Its a shame that they are also - on some levels - seen as guilty by association.
The legacy of abuse they stepped into when they donned that blue uniform is unfortunately a residual bad smell caused by others actions that they get covered in as well...irregardless of if they themselves did wrong.

What gets me though is when people start breaking out the big wide tar-brush and start making statements like:
"All Cops are scum"
"Cops are power-trippers"
"Cops are pigs"
"All Cops are racist a-holes"
etc etc etc

...really...wow...anyone who makes such statements must surely be well travelled and well known to have met every single Police Officer in order to make such definitive statements about the entire Group.

Despite experiencing so many absolutely attrocious abuses/attacks from Police I don't hate them all.
I sure as heck hold more than a little bit of resentment for those Officers that did those things to me...but not to the whole.

But....To hate on the whole - just my opinion - is being as small-minded and bigotted as those uniformed a-holes who committed those abuses.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Flip side of the coin.
Oh yay, Another "Stop bashing on Cops Thread".

Cops arent the only ones who put themselves in dangerous positions everyday. A lot of us get put in just as bad of situations everyday as they do, only exception, we arent allowed to just taze people when they start yelling at us or start to become 'unruly'. They think just because they are cops, they are more special than the rest of us, they arent.

Although, I do think that everyone has a right to their opinions, so I cant hate on you for that. I can though, disagree.
Everytime, and I mean EVERYTIME that I have ever needed a pig, they were never there for me.
Want an example? Ok I will give you one...

When I was 15, me, my brother, and a friend of mine were at the day care picking up my niece. My brothers wife came also, but in a seperate car. While the three of us were waiting for my brothers ex wife to get the kid, we looked over to the right of us, and there was 30+ cops hanging not even 20 ft away from us at the local 7 eleven(they were looking for somebody). As we were looking at them, this cracked out looking man came to the driver side of my brothers truck, and put a pistol up against the window demanding my brother to open the door. My brother complied, and the man made my brother and friend scoot closer towards me(I was on the pasanger side towards where all those cops were). As he got into the vehicle, I was making facial gestures and nods towards the cops that we were in trouble, all of them looked at me, but just stood there watching us as we drove off. STOOD THERE WATCHING US. They did not pursue us, and they let this raving lunatic drive us all over the city till he got to his destination. The man(we didnt know it at the time) had just got done robbing a blood bank, and accidentally shot himself in the leg. When the man got out of the truck, he offered to pay us gas money, but we told him to GTFA from us. As he proceeded to run around the back of the truck, my brother threw it in reverse and stepped on the gas(trying to run him over) but the crackhead was too fast. We drove back to the daycare, and all those cops were still standing there. I jumped out of that truck so fast and started unloading as many foul words towards them as I could for simply just standing there watching us get carjacked/kidnapped. They told me that they didnt know why I was making those gestures, and that was the reason they didnt pursue us(I know right). There was over 30 cops just standing there watching!!! They kept us there in the parking lot all night, in the freezing cold, not offering us blankets, or something warm to drink while they dusted for prints. They finally caught the guy, and we were told that he did fire the shots, and that the only reason that he didnt pull the trigger on my brother was because his gun was jammed(we didnt know it was jammed). I saw him in court, and he made gestures towards me as if he was going to get me when he got out of jail, I laughed in his face and told him "good luck". Cops didnt care for our safety, they didnt care what heppened to us, they treated us like Sht, and they made us seem like it was our fault while asking us what happened. These 30 pigs were not even 20 feet away when all this happened,looking for this man, and when I was signaling them, they just watched as If I was an IMAX theatre.
and that is just ONE example of why I dislike most cops, and I have MANY, MANY of those examples.
Just to give you someone elses point of view on the subject.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

S&F
I my trainner is a cop and i train many cops. I have to say some people just do not like cops, it does not matter what is done. They use their gun, and someone gets killed people complain. They hit or tazer the cops did not have to do that.
But the second their house is getting broken into its OMG where were they they are never around when.....

The way i always saw it, you really want to fight back against the police? Do not break any laws. It is as simple as that. I am sure that no cop in the world would be sad if there would come a day when cops were no longer needed.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Try walking in their shoes just one time and those who hate the police
might have a change of mind.
Yes there are bad cops. There are bad doctors, bad firemen, bad lawyers,
bad teachers, bad soldiers, etc, etc.
Police are human and sure there are going to be
some that are on a power trip or are too quick to act or react. But, you
have to realize it takes a different type of person to be a cop. Every day
that they wake up could be their last from something as simple as a
traffic stop. They lay thier lives on the line every day. Not your average
Joe or Joan could do that.
While I understand that some have this hatred because of personal experiences, to hate all police and revel in the cold blooded killing of these
4 in WA is wrong IMO.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The real cop haters are the cops who do wrong and abuse their power.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Here's a thought for all of you cop haters. If one of your friends, loved ones, spouses, children or yourself, is either, assaulted, sexually assaulted, murdered, robbed, raped, stalked, harassed, dont bother calling the cops. It would be a waste of tax payers money and time that could be better spent helping out someone else, when you hate the only people that are there to protect you.

So take a good look at how ridiculous you look, and grow up. The majority of cops are not bad, stop looking for excuses to start yet another cop bashing thread and just pray that you are never put in a dangerous situation that these men and women have to go through, throughout their careers

Shame on all of you

Thanks Oz.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I live in a pretty rough area myself & see what the police have to put up with daily. I've seen a few people on the wrong end of a baton but they deserved what they got. It's a real shame they get no respect at all.
I can't believe what I've read over the past week on these boards.
Shoot him in the leg? WTF is that all about? Guess it wasn't one of their loved ones who was murdered by that scumbag.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The problem I have with the police is that their job, in many places, is to make money for the city, county or state they work for. Their job is to give as many tickets as possible, not to serve and protect the people.

Maybe when they start to treat their job as a service to the people who pay their salaries and not to the government then I will have more respect for them.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
***SPOILER ALERT***
NOT EVERYONE LIKES LAW ENFORCMENT

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Are all you haters some kind of tree hugging, whale saving peace loving hippies? I bet none of you have ever been in a situation.

Yes..
.. All the peaceful people hate the police..

I think your prejudice just showed through..

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
i dont understand why police taser children and the elderly? even if they dont co operate using a taser is going to far.

edit: it would be like tasering your grandma for hogging the remote, senseless.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Hey Oz.
I know what you mean.
Most times cops are just human and they have human nature.
They are put in situations where they have to do certain things.
Alot of time its just to fit in with the "good ol boy club".
Every force has at least one ****head that no one likes.

But to call cop haters hippys or treehuggers or whatever label,
you are doing the same thing as what you are ranting about here.
You are spewing hatred here at somebody, and it sounds to me
like it's not even directed at the right people! Just pointing that out.

From what I have seen hippys are all about peace.
Not cop haters that would condone killing anyone.
Besides arent they about 60 years old by now? Jusy sayin'

If your gonna be mad, make dang sure its directed at the right
sterotyped people!

Btw, shouldnt this be in the rant forum?

Glad you got it off your chest though.
I know how it gets sometimes!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
As someone else mentioned, as a society we have lost the human touch. It has become acceptable to treat others like crap and with disrespect. Sure cops have a tough job, but does that mean they have the right to take out their frustrations on law abiding innocent civilians?

The police departments have made absolutely no effort to root out corruption and illegal activity. This is why they investigate themselves, this is why they look the other way when a partner loses it and this is why they have absolutely no reason to have any empathy toward those they supposedly serve (forget about protect - that only happens in Disney movies).

Respect is a two way street. You have to earn it, regardless of what kind of uniform you wear or what kind of job you do. The sad fact is, people in authority, be it police officers, government officials or judges have pretty much pissed away any chance of being respected due to their own actions.

The public backlash is just a natural response to a system in an advanced state of decay and in need of serious repair. The problem is nobody is really interested in fixing the system - certainly not the ones profiting from the corruption.

You have to give most people a good reason for them to detest you. Unfortunately, police officers more often than not have provided such a reason. Law abiding citizens are not the freakin' enemy. If cops are looking for respect, they can start by trying to comprehend this rather simplistic notion.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainfall

Yes..
.. All the peaceful people hate the police..

I think your prejudice just showed through..

Actually I never said that all peaceful people hate police, I used the hippy statement as an example of some of the types of people that are so against police shooting people with guns, and physical force, that they look down upon how cops apprehend people.

If you were after a criminal would you simply ask them nicely to give up and put handcuffs on? If you think that would work, then you're probably in the mindset of thinking unrealistically.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
Hey Oz.
I know what you mean.
Most times cops are just human and they have human nature.
They are put in situations where they have to do certain things.
Alot of time its just to fit in with the "good ol boy club".
Every force has at least one ****head that no one likes.

Totally agreed

But to call cop haters hippys or treehuggers or whatever label,
you are doing the same thing as what you are ranting about here.
You are spewing hatred here at somebody, and it sounds to me
like it's not even directed at the right people! Just pointing that out.

Im going to apologise for that remark, simply because the intention I was trying to make wasnt clear enough. It was more about the ones that are against the use of force to apprehend criminals. Sometimes force is needed to subdue criminals, other times, excessive force is used. It just bugs me that people call out any physical contact as "excessive". So yeah i retract that remark.....besides if my gf's parents saw me write that they would probably disown me (they are old school hippys)

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

"The law perverted! And the police powers of the state perverted along with it! The law, I say, not only turned from its proper purpose but made to follow an entirely contrary purpose! The law become the weapon of every kind of greed! Instead of checking crime, the law itself guilty of the evils it is supposed to punish!"

Frederic Bastiat

Not being from Australia I can not speak intelligently to the law of that land nor how effectively the executive branch of government in that land enforces the law. Being from the United States, I can and will speak intelligently to the law of that land and how ineffectively the executive branch of that government has upheld the law.

In the United States, the Supreme Law of the Land is the Constitution for the United States of America. This document was designed to transfer from the people a limited amount of power for a limited amount of time to certain elected officials and some appointed officials. The purpose of structuring and forming this government was made perfectly clear in the preamble to that constitution which states:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

The importance of this preamble is that it states where the government began which is from We the People and why it was begun. To establish justice being the very first purpose of government stated, this responsibility is to be taken seriously and it is the right of the people to expect that justice has been established. Has it? What justice is there in a land filled with exponentially growing ordinances, codes and statutes that parade themselves as law when instead what they do is attempt to reign in the liberties of free people?

The only real purpose for having laws established by government is to ensure the rights of individuals are protected. Any other pretext for law is nothing more than an advocacy of tyranny. When arguments of law become an advocacy for creating governments designed to control the people in order to protect the power of government then liberty is not what is operative in that government. For far too long in the U.S. the operative function of police powers has been to control the populace and has little to do with protecting them and more to do with protecting the power that has been grabbed.

In the Constitutionally established government of the people for the people and by the people the enforcement of law has been delegated to the executive branch of government. On a national level that executive branch is headed by the President and there is no Constitutionally mandated national police force. The policing of people has been left to the states respectively. Within each state constitution the executive branch is headed by the Governor but the actual enforcement of laws and policing is delegated to duly elected Sheriff's in every county. This police power has not been delegated to any appointee but rather has been granted to elected officials making them directly accountable to the people.

Police departments, on the other hand, do not possess constitutionally delegated police powers but instead are administrative agencies created by cities and towns and since the Chief of police or any of the officers working under that position are not elected officials or sworn deputies of the law as is the case with Sheriff's and their deputies, then they are comfortably buffered from much of the constitutional restraints placed upon the Sheriff and his deputies. Of course, all police officers are subordinate to the Sheriff or any of his or her deputies and must relinquish jurisdiction to them whenever the Sheriff or sworn deputy demands it.

Here in lies one of the fundamental problems with "cops" and administrative agencies posing as police powers. They do not possess proper authority to enforce the law and do not work for the people directly but instead work for the city governments that established the agency to begin with and hired the officers to function within that agency. What this has accomplished is a creation of hired employees charged with enforcing the municipal codes that may or may not be Constitutional in nature.

They myriad of ordinance that are legislated are prohibitive in nature ranging anywhere from prohibiting "jay walking" to "vagrancy" to "peddling goods on a public walk way". By what authority does any government within the U.S. operate that declares "jay walking" prohibited? It is never the proof of jurisdiction that is offered to defend "jay walking" ordinances but instead an appeal to order and decency that is offered while attempts are made to explain how important it is to regulate the travel of pedestrians for their own good and the general welfare of the public. The same goes for vagrancy ordinances and even more astoundingly for peddling ordinances.

Licensing schemes abound in the U.S. ranging from legislation requiring people to be licensed to drive, marry, and again and most astoundingly to do business. Licenses by their nature are permits to do what would otherwise be illegal. That administrative agencies such as DMV's insist the people do not have a right to drive and must therefore be permitted to drive and that they rely upon both Sheriff's and their deputies as well as the non constitutionally mandated administrative agencies known as police departments is but a minute example of the affront to liberty and freedom these people represent. Regardless of how good their intentions may be, the Supreme Law of the Land has made clear that We the People are free by nature and have the right to enjoy freedom without having to explain that enjoyment of a right to some well intentioned police officer.

The right to protect oneself and protect their freedom is a long held tenet of jurisprudence and the notion that we should not protect ourselves but instead surrender that right to hired employees of a city or town is absurd. It is even more absurd to insist that we should surrender our natural rights and then be grateful to those who demanded the surrender.

Continued...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Continuing...

No one forced these police officers to take the jobs they have hired on to take. Being a police officer is not compulsory in the U.S. it is a choice a person makes. Regardless of the motive behind that choice once the choice has been made they are sworn by oath to uphold the laws of the Constitution which means they are legally bound to protect the rights of all people. Not just the enumerated rights within the Constitution but all rights. Human rights do not number in the hundreds of thousands like ordinances and codes and statutes do, they are not so hard to understand and it is not unreasonable to expect a Sheriff or sworn deputy or even a police officer hired by city or town government to respect those rights.

Those rights are not being respected by police officers and increasingly are being dismissed and disrespected by duly elected Sheriff's and sworn deputies. Although there are organizations such as the "Oath Keepers" and others that give hope to the law enforcement branches as a whole, there is still too much thuggery and usurpation of power going on within the law enforcement branches of local, state and federal governments within the U.S. Because this is happening, and because police officers and Sheriff's and their deputies are inclined to assume their life is in danger when approaching any person regardless of the innocence of that person, it only makes sense that those law enforcement officers are reviled.

When upon approaching any person a police officer unsnaps his holster to his or her weapon then that police officer has made clear that they pose a threat to the persons life they are approaching. Should this threatening behavior be respected and admired? I think not! Shame on the cop haters? Shame on those law enforcement officers who have willingly abdicated their responsibility to uphold the law in exchange for brute force and power grabbing. In order to establish justice then we must begin by first ensuring that those charged with upholding the law not only do so but in fact obey the law themselves. The law is what gives these enforcement officers purpose and if they can not operate within the jurisdictional scope of that law they do not deserve any more respect than any other thug. Indeed, once they have exceeded their jurisdiction they are no longer officers of the law but instead are private citizens operating under their own personal beliefs and should be treated no differently.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

If you were after a criminal would you simply ask them nicely to give up and put handcuffs on? If you think that would work, then you're probably in the mindset of thinking unrealistically.

The recent videos I've seen of police did not show any "criminals" trying to allude the law.....some were just sitting in their car when they were assaulted.... others were innocent bystanders when they were put into a coma by the local 'friendly officer.'

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
There is a lot of back and forth here. People see cops as they are trained to see them. People without quality interaction with an officer will no doubt have nothing left to fall back on but the media sensations they get from forums and video sites that only post the negative side of the profession.
I have a split stance on police officers. While I have a lot of friends on various city, county and state level of enforcement, those friendships do not blind me to the fact that not every one of them is so deserving of respect. However, I choose to take them on a one to one basis. My friends are and will be my friends, even if they have to do their jobs.
There are a lot of power junkie abusers out there though. They ruin it for the rest. Cops that blatantly and unprovoked attack citizens out of frustration or rage. Cops that go over the line and injure already subdued individuals. Cops whose abusive driving habits actually cause accidents instead of prevent them.

But they arent all bad. If people would apply personal judgements to the individuals at fault, you would see that you probably have something in common with a large percentage of good cops who hate those bad apples as well as you do.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I've been on both sides of the fence- and one of the things I have noticed: the more corrupt the city/ county, the worse the cops. 2 places I lived- I couldn't wiggle my ears without some cop breathing down my underwear. Heck, one place, I got jailed by a drunk cop! Legal recourse? *laughs hysterically* WHAT A JOKE.

Where I am now: I had to call the sheriff due to someone breaking into a storage building/ trailer. He was understanding, had a sense of humor, even explained why the ONE tool I managed to get out of the wreck that was a storage area was no good for prints- and agreed when I said in frustration " About the only way to catch this goon was to sit up there (in the woods) with a ballbat and a camera". He agreed. He explained why, too- too much area, not enough cops. There's just too much freaking open spaces/ woods to cover.

The area I live in? Not really too corrupt. Other 2 places? They were 'scary movie' crooked. The answer may be to clean out the GOVERNMENT, and THEN the cops- or see if they clean themselves of the criminal element.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Im going to apologise for that remark, simply because the intention I was trying to make wasnt clear enough. It was more about the ones that are against the use of force to apprehend criminals. Sometimes force is needed to subdue criminals, other times, excessive force is used. It just bugs me that people call out any physical contact as "excessive". So yeah i retract that remark.....besides if my gf's parents saw me write that they would probably disown me (they are old school hippys)

Thank you for your appology and reply, and your point is well taken!

Some seem to think to appologize is a sign of weakness!
I see it as a sign of someone "gooder" than most.

On a side note, if it wasnt for the environmentalists,
we wouldnt have much left of anything, and we would
probably be living in and (ultimately ingesting) our own waste.
There probably wouldn't be near as many wild animals left either!
The oceans would be full of pollutants and we would have no clean air at all to breathe.
Oops kind of like now, nevermind.....

Ya, prolly not a good idea to say anything like that to them!

Specially if you ever decide to call that girlfriend a wife!
Thanks again and kudos on the thread!

[edit on 2-12-2009 by dodadoom]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join