It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Rant to Cop Haters

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I dont understand the amount of hate that is being dished out to the police here. While their is undeniably corruption in many of the police forces in the world, its complete rubbish to speculate that all cops are being labelled the same. I find it even more disturbing that people actually enjoy seeingm or hearing about cops being shot or injured for whatever sick and twisted reason they have in their heads.

The police are here to do a job. That job is to uphold the law and keep order. For some bizzare reason, everytime a single officer abuses his power, a certain number of member s come out posted derogatory and often stupid remarks of why all police are the same. The ATS motto is to deny ignorance not promote idiocracy.

There are a number of notable threads current on ATS at the moment, notably, one about the cops use of excessive force in apprehending an escaped murderer, and the one about the shooting death of the alleged cop killer.

So with these in mind, why are people sticking up for the criminals? Do people actually condone shooting others or cops for that matter, as something that should be allowed? Would you rather that the police just turn a blind eye and ignore such atrocities? Why the hell are the cops always bad guys when they end up killing, wounding or capturing these people?

A lot of the comments involve ridiculous statements such as:

Why didnt they shoot the guy in the leg?
Why did they have to hurt the perpetrator?
Why did they taser the perpetrator?

Are all you haters some kind of tree hugging, whale saving peace loving hippies? I bet none of you have ever been in a situation.

Although trained, cops are put into situations where no training can prepare you. Its not easy to make a split second decision of where to aim to take down someone running at you. Its not always easy to take down somebody without hurting them, and even when they use non-lethal force on people that are resisting arrest, and even after they warned them that they will be tased, pepper sprayed etc, you still all throw up your arms in the air and call police brutality.

I mean WTF to police officers have to do to gain some respect? Would you like them to say something along the lines of "Please give yourself up...if you do not we are forced to stand back and watch you commit further crimes"?

Here's a thought for all of you cop haters. If one of your friends, loved ones, spouses, children or yourself, is either, assaulted, sexually assaulted, murdered, robbed, raped, stalked, harassed, dont bother calling the cops. It would be a waste of tax payers money and time that could be better spent helping out someone else, when you hate the only people that are there to protect you.

So take a good look at how ridiculous you look, and grow up. The majority of cops are not bad, stop looking for excuses to start yet another cop bashing thread and just pray that you are never put in a dangerous situation that these men and women have to go through, throughout their careers

Shame on all of you

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
hey oz!

well firstly let me play devils advocate here by saying that all people in the US are supposed to be innocent of crime until proven guitly.

unfortunately, all too often civilians find themselvs feeling oppressed and treated as guilty until proven innocent. even the smallest thing like a traffic ticket can really rile you up.

also.

think about the number of good interactions with the police vs the number of not good ones. how often have you seen cops out talking to people and being friendly? they dont make it a habit to unless it is kids or something. so the magority of people get nothing but negative face time with cops and then feel oppressed over it, so cops lose thier humanity and become an idealogy of oppression that most people will fight against, whether the officer is doing their job or not.

anyway, not condoning it, just adding a few cents...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It might help if they policed themselves as eagerly as they police the populace they are sworn to serve.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The police are out of control and suffer from an us versus them mentality.

They are desensitized to the real needs, plight and concerns of the people through endless training videos and seminars that tend to overstate or over simplify perspectives that serve no one well.

Tasked with enforcing thousands of often obscure codes that the citizens have no earthly idea even exist because hardly a day has gone by for decades when some new code isn’t voted into law by a government that seeks to regulate, tax or otherwise profit off of everything, that far too often leaves police no choice but to selectively enforce the laws because there are so many.

It is basically impossible to be in compliance with every last code and ordinance and I guarantee you that if a squad of police descended on your home, business, and vehicle right now they could fine some legitimate violation.

In reality we are all criminals in their eyes as it is impossible to know all the laws that constitute a crime to begin with but ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it.

So it often boils down to which law they want to enforce on what given day against whom and why in what is little more than a game of shooting fish in a barrel.

Often otherwise law abiding peaceful citizens find themselves being cited with some ridiculous ordinance they have never herd of and then have to spend hard earned money to either pay an attorney or pay a fine and court costs or both.

This sours a lot of law abiding citizens towards the police because they know in their hearts that they are not murderers, thieves, rapists, or violent people. They know in their hearts they are decent good human beings who try their best to get along and be productive in society. They often don’t agree with the obscure ordinance they have been cited with, or why they had to be cited when the violation hurt no one in their person or property and why it couldn’t just be a learning experience.

To the police that are little more than bonded henchmen for the corporate government it’s an opportunity to create profit for the government and assert their power.

Yes some cops are decent people, go out of their way to give a person a break, and really are out there focused on the bad guys.

Yet most of the police force suffers from a siege mentality as well as arrogance and a certain penchant for sadism.

Gone for the most part is the cop that walks his beat who knows the citizens on it, by name, and where they live, and who is in their family, and other human particulars. Gone are the days of real quality interaction with the community where police function as role models and civic leaders. Trapped in their vehicles glued to a laptop screen, listening to their radios, cruising up and down the street looking for that selective opportunity that compels them to enforce the law in those selective ways that anger many, many law abiding citizens, and often angers them for good reason.

The government is continually gearing the police towards viewing all citizens as potential terrorists and viewing all citizens as potential suspects and in reality with over 600,000 laws, ordinances and codes on the books here in the United States we all are guilty of some violation of the law and it’s just a matter of time more often than not until big brother chooses to notice.

It’s a very screwed up system like everything else in government that has gotten too big, too intrusive and too powerful for it’s own good to the point it starts existing for itself and not to do the job we the people elect it or pay it to do.

As far as never being in situations, I have been in dozens of situations, and often interceded myself to end it in a fashion that when the police show up later they look at me and just ask “Are you nuts, you could have gotten killed you know that?”, I always reply honestly “Why yes I am, but I didn’t, and no one else did, and they might have had I not acted to stop this crime.”

The reality is they want us to be more dependent on them than we need to be, they want us to be helpless so that’s just how we will feel when our lucky 1 out of 600,000 number comes up.

If the cops have an image problem and they do, it’s on them.

You don’t go to watch musical groups you don’t like, or actors you don’t like, or vote for politicians you don’t like do you?

If you represent a group that by and large fails to impress and more often than not insults or upsets people, well, I wouldn’t expect many people to like anyone who chooses to be in that group.

Government is out of control, law enforcement is out of control, the laws themselves are out of control.

[edit on 1/12/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by wx4caster
so the magority of people get nothing but negative face time with cops and then feel oppressed over it, so cops lose thier humanity and become an idealogy of oppression that most people will fight against, whether the officer is doing their job or not.

anyway, not condoning it, just adding a few cents...

Interesting you made that comment. People dont seem to understand that when they put on that uniform, they are doing their job. When they take it off, most are normal everyday people with families, friends and that. Its a shame to see that the few that put on that uniform and use it as a way to oppress or power over civilians, are the ones that make people think they are all like that.

Ive had not so pleasant experiences with some cops (mainly over minor traffic infringements and drunken public shennanigans), but Im not holding this against them as its their job to police these kind of behaviours and activity. It still doesnt explain why some people get all over excited and claim that its "great" to see cops getting injured all killed

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

The amount of hate on cops at ATS is just so simple. Have you ever seen a jelly bean jar and been asked to guess the number of jelly beans inside? Now imagine instead of jelly beans those are instances of police abuse of power and the jelly bean jar is the size of a house.

The simple answer is that cops are so well hated is that their main and most visible duty is to PROFIT FROM CRIME! You do soemething wrong. Ca-ching for their cash register! So what else do you expect besides a giant mountain of trivial nonsense to be labeled "crime" and then they stiff you with their fine?

I'll said this before and I'll say it again. Any cop, judge, or government official even remotely involved in profiting from crime needs at LEAST a year in prison so that they understand what they are doing is filthy, repugnant, and against any notion of civility.

As strange as this seems I actually like seeing the hate on cops. Yeah if it were common then I'd find it just as annoying as all the other haters out there. However, seeing how cops are the #6 "most respected" position its nice to see signs the momentum is shifting in hopefully a way that they find themselves ranked well below prostitutes (while they profit from crime it is solely only on a consentual voluntary basis of course it is a more respectable profession).

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It is funny that people "who hate cops" are usually criminals trying to hide from "said police".

Some are not...but most are.

It is also funny how these same people "call the police" as soon as SHTF and they need armed assistance or legal leverage.

Cop haters are stupid people...very simply.

Without police, we would be facing a much more corrupt and morally bankrupt enemy...each other.

I would also like to thank all the police who stand for "honesty" while defending our nation.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Mr Mask]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Yes some cops are decent people, go out of their way to give a person a break, and really are out there focused on the bad guys.

Yet most of the police force suffers from a siege mentality as well as arrogance and a certain penchant for sadism.

Thats an interetsing couple of statements there. Are you aware of any statistics or figures that back that up, or are you bsing it on personal experience? Just curious, not intending to slander you

And yes I do watch movies with actors I hate (tom crusie), and I do vote for politicians I ahte, mainly because I hate all of them and voting is compulsory in Australia

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

You know what, when a cop views "one of his own" to really mean a *member of his community* rather than fellow gang members wearing the blue gang colors, then cops will no longer deserve the hate they get.

And yes as has been said already on this thread, that would mean being just as hard on themselves in terms of enforcing crime as they are on the general population.

Police these days are *parts of a machine*, not parts of a community! And for that I really think I may hate them.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I actually like cops. If they behave like civilized people and not barbarians on a ego/power trip.

And there is no condemning when they prohibit criminals from pursuing their action. However, the cases in critic are cases where no violence would have been justified in the first place.
One example, LAPD daily pull cars over for routine check ups or speeding and the driver somehow ends up with his face sticking in the concrete. The reason that you don't hear of it is that there is no-one around swinging their camera.

A few years back cops in LA shot a 13 year old epileptic black kid from across the street while having a seizure. The justification was that the kid was behaving suspiciously. Well, .......

You have to use discernment when defending or condemning people for their actions.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
cops are scum! (what was that noise..... someone's in the house!) *calls 911!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegreatobserver
I actually like cops. If they behave like civilized people and not barbarians on a ego/power trip.

And there is no condemning when they prohibit criminals from pursuing their action. However, the cases in critic are cases where no violence would have been justified in the first place.

Yes, I agree. But the real cop haters are the ones that will pick on anything to make the entire police force look bad. Mainly these are situations where normal people aren't likely to have, yet the same people are the first ones to cry "unnecesary force" when police are put in those situations.

Like I said, the cops with that ego trip need to pull themselves in line, but the stigma that they are all "thugs" needs to stop.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Thats an interetsing couple of statements there. Are you aware of any statistics or figures that back that up, or are you bsing it on personal experience? Just curious, not intending to slander you

And yes I do watch movies with actors I hate (tom crusie), and I do vote for politicians I ahte, mainly because I hate all of them and voting is compulsory in Australia

Personal experience as I have always had friends that are cops (I always try to befriend one because they rarely have friends off the force because of their seige mentallity) and I have dated a number of cops from Deputy Directors of the FBI down to patrol women.

I do business with some cops. In fact I do business with a lot of cops.

Contrary to popular belief career criminals and career cops actually get along fine for the most part. Two different sides of the same coin, and to tell you the truth, I am not always sure who is more crooked, but more often than not one hand washes the other there.

Petty criminals and violent criminals don't get along so well with cops.

The point is that its a bad assumption to imagine that everyone who dislikes cops is a criminal.

I thought Nicole Kiddman was a doll babie too, I don't blame you from being mad at Tom Cruise.

Compulsary voting? That's insane and proves my point about an ordinance happy government.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The Police are here to enforce the laws????? HA HA HA! You are funny man! Wow! That sure is a long line of Wall Street fraud perpetrators going to jail, ain't it? Not! They "enforce" the law. Whatta a laff. Do they really prevent crime? No! Anyone who is intent upon perpetrating a crime will do so whether the law is around or not. Do they really solve crimes? No! If your stuff is stolen then it's gone. The cops will file a report and then forget about it. Do they serve you? No! They order you! Do they protect you? No. If somebody wants you dead the chances are that you'll be buried within a week. So what do the majority of the cops do? They shake you down. They inflict the "Undeclared Tax" on residents both local and from elsewhere. They site you for traffic violations. Rest assured that they can always find something to pull you over for and that the fine will always exceed 100 bucks. Most cops are little more than glorified tax collectors.
When the local government sees large shortfalls in their budgets (and, let's face it, they always see that) then the local goon squads are ordered to disperse amongst the populace and shake as much cash as possible out of the traffic laws. And that is what they do. Little more and little less.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I do business with some cops. In fact I do business with a lot of cops.

Are you in the law industry by any chance?

The point is that its a bad assumption to imagine that everyone who dislikes cops is a criminal.

I dont assume that, but its also a bad assumption to assume that all cops are crooked or non decent human beings, which is what some people do.

Compulsary voting? That's insane and proves my point about an ordinance happy government.

LOL

You may be right

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
come on now....
....shooting cops in cold blood ?...that is just pure evil...Matters not if you had a bad experience (or many) with the boys in blue..I have found them for the most part to be honest and fare...I do agree that they can "at certain times" act and think like a criminal gang...But, try walking in their shoes for awhile...
...The way people act out there..being complete idiots...just asking for trouble..It's no wonder some "flip" once in awhile..I'm not happy with the way out police forces are beginning to look more and more "military like"..When something happens today a 100 swat guys show up armed to the teeth...30 years ago a few regular officers would show up and do the same job...
...oh well...I for one wish that shooting never took place..
....It is over now...They shot the devil........

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Get rid of the bad ones and the good ones left can repair what has been done, but as long as the bad ones are allowed to remain they will all be labeled the same. I have no problems with good cops, the problem is these day there are equal amounts of good and bad ones.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Here is an active topic about this very thing:

Cop Haters, This Thread is for You

My posts are on the second and sixth page. I am only telling you this because I don't want to continue to repeat myself over and over again.

Thanks for the post, Oz

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well, from a video i watched, and really agree with, there are two types of law enforcement. Police OFFICERS and PoliceMEN.

Police officers are just, that, officers, corporate soldiers who are on a complete power trip and are probably responsible for 80% of the police brutality and abuse that is reported so often nowadays.

Policemen are police who became what they are to serve and protect the citizenry, these are the guys that go by the book the way it's supposed to go and are going out of their way to help the people, not write a ticket for every single offense and jail people to make money for the city through tickets and bails.

One does it for money, the other does it for the people. I think people have a right to distrust and "hate" police officers, but sometimes they miss understand that police officers and police men are different factions.

Thats what I think anyway.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Perhaps if Law enforcement didn't look upon ordinary citizens as people about to commit a crime; adopt a "we/they" attitude; and give out $100 fines for not wearing a seat belt; they would be respected rather than feared.

Fear breeds contempt.

Law enforcement needs citizen review; not internal investigations when LEOs break protocol.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by whaaa]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join