It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean level simulator - please help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Was hoping someone would be able to point me in the direction of an accurate sea level simulator program which i could download. I am having some difficulties tracking one down.

Am carrying out some research in which i would like to simulate different sea levels during different periods of time under different circumstances.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

Forgot to add: This is the only WORKING simulator i can find which allows you to adjust for both sea level rises and drops, and even then it does not appear overly accurate.

[2012info.ca...

[edit on 1-12-2009 by srsen]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
the Google earth community has a few good add ons. If you cant find anything there, contact your local university. They might be able to steer you in the right direction.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Google Earth - interesting, didnt consider that.. Will have a dig round.

Sadly, Universities in Australia are, at least in my personal experience, not overly keen to help anyone do anything.

Thanks mate, will report back into this thread should i find anything.

So to everyone else, keep any links/help coming if you can

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Update, Google Earth community has been hard to crack.

Posted a similar thread to this one, focusing on GE, on the GE Community forum and it got removed. SO no help there.

Anyone else able to help me out? It would be greatly appreciated

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure you're not going to find an accurate simulator without paying a lot of money for it.

The problem is that in order to be accurate such a program has to account for some pretty sneaky factors. A rise in sea level would not affect everywhere equally. For example, the force of gravity is not the same over the whole surface of the planet. Large landmasses like continents may draw more water to themselves than smaller ones. Complicated, really complicated.

Here's a really terrible one.
permaculturepower.wordpress.com...

[edit on 12/2/2009 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the link, they all help.

I did not wish to go into crazy detail in this thread, would only serve to limit the number of responses i received, however i had considered the problem that larger land masses may create.

Additionally, the earth is not perfectly spherical, it bulges, so this would need to be taken into account as well.

I doubt a serious and accurate simulator would be available that correctly took all such factors into account - even if i were willing to fork out the $$ for it.

Oh well, the hunt continues regardless. Thanks Phage.

new topics

top topics

join