It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I convert to Islam?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Okay I know it's going to sound like I'm a schizophrenic or something but when I was in High School I dabbled with Buddhism and some Hinduism. Then i slowly came around to Christianity and in the past two years I've been drifting around to different churches. Catholic, Baptist (which I stayed at for almost a year) now I've been checking out the Methodist Church. I'm familiar with Christianity so I tend to stick with it.

Although, I have read half of the Qur'an and really don't see a problem with it the trouble is memorizing prayers and scripture in Arabic that seems to be a road block. I've tried it before and gave up. I do use audio guides online, etc. I know it sounds like I'm messed up on this whole religion thing but besides the Arabic thing there is no mosques at all around where I'm at. Though I know you can worship at home in Islam so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'm sort of at a point in my life that I don't know which direction to go on religious matters. Any advice would to appreciated.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
dud are you serious. Christianity is the way. And if you did read the quran and the bible like I did. Then you would see real words of wisdom are in the bible. The quran was made by killer who married a 9 year old christian girl. The quran insights war on christianity, it even claims that Jesus is a great prophet of God and yet ignore his words, the quran tells people to kill. Christianity is the way. God had a Son

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

I think you are searching.. which is good...

I would never suggest one religion over another so I cannot give you an easy answer..

All I can do is to tell you that while you may feel a bit lost.. searching, once you find the comfort that you seek.. You will know the answer, it will come from inside you..

I wish you all the best on your journey

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

Well, I'm not going to advise the OP on matters of faith ... to me they're just musical chairs encouraging man to look outside of himself for something that he possesses within him all along ...

However, IF I were god shopping, your post would surely clinch my conversion to ANYTHING other than what YOU believe. I'm sorry if this is insulting to you, but your lack of knowledge of things too numerous to list, almost makes me believe you want him to convert.

OP, I wish you fortune in your spiritual quest ... I've always found the divine to reside in the last place I look ... it's all fun and games until someone loses an I.

[edit on 1 Dec 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

My thoughts exactly. No one can chose your beliefs for you. This is something you must decide on your own. You may take the wrong path at times, but hopefully you will eventually find the right way. Good luck, and I hope whatever you choose includes happiness and peace.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
dud are you serious. Christianity is the way. And if you did read the quran and the bible like I did. Then you would see real words of wisdom are in the bible. The quran was made by killer who married a 9 year old christian girl. The quran insights war on christianity, it even claims that Jesus is a great prophet of God and yet ignore his words, the quran tells people to kill. Christianity is the way. God had a Son

What about the Crusades? Christianity isn't exactly squeaky clean either. All religions have their ups and downs. I'm more concerned about finding the truth.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

God doesn't need a religion, and neither do you. What you need is understanding, and there is no reason why you need to "join" any religion in order to get that understanding.

The smartest thing I ever did in my life was to separate religion and what religious people do from god.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I tried to find Him on the Christian cross, but He was not there; I went to the temple of the Hindus and to the old pagodas, but I could not find a trace of Him anywhere.

I searched on the mountains and in the valleys but neither in the heights nor in the depths was I able to find Him. I went to the Caaba in Mecca, but He was not there either.

I questioned the scholars and philosophers but he was beyond their understanding.

I then looked into my heart and it was there where He dwelled that I saw Him; He was nowhere else to be found.

Jelaluddin Runii

Just something to think about.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The Maitreya teachings say:

The Self moves into and out of the mind, spirit and body at will and experiences the beauties of nature, beauties which until now were experienced only by yogis, saints and gurus. Traditionally, people believed that only through the sacred books of the Koran, the Bible, the Gita and by living exceptionally good lives, could they qualify for such experiences. Not any more. As the Self learns to move through the mind, spirit and body these beautiful experiences become a daily thing.

Religions have created strife, have conditioned people. This is coming to an end. From now on, schools, colleges and universities will help people discover where thoughts and ideas come from, that we are all connected to the Almighty and that we do not need scriptures to experience our true Selves.

Religious leaders, gurus and saints the world over are aware of Maitreya's question: "What have you done to distort the truth"?

They have no answer to this charge, for they have continually misled the people about the truths contained in the Bible, the Koran and the Bhagavad Gita. They have used their ideology to please their political masters and those who control market forces. Maitreya's message to them is: "Be what you are, and do not mislead others."

His message to ordinary people is simple: "Look within yourselves and you will find the true master in your heart. Ignore the emotional prejudices generated by the so-called spiritual leaders; they will lead you nowhere, except to self destruction."

The relationship between the Self and God is personal. This relationship is the process of becoming. A person's faith and trust in a religion or philosophy are like the rungs on a ladder of evolution. As a person grows, so his beliefs change.

The relationship between the Self and God never changes. That is where the Supreme Being resides. The Self experiences that Supreme Being, which is eternal, in his heart.

Religions are the rungs of the ladder and he who is on the lowest rung can only experience what is in that sphere, but what you experience is not important, for only the heart is eternal.

Writers, philosophers, saints, swamis, priests and gurus are all standing on various rungs of the ladder and whatever they experience they should not try to impose on others. This is undivine. They should not be obsessed by their beliefs and experiences, for if they cling to them they will be destroyed.

"Be what you are. If you are a Christian, be a Christian; if you are a Jew, be a Jew; if you are an Arab, be an Arab, but do not try to impose on yourself a foreign personality because if you do that you are destroying yourself."

- from the book Maitreya Teachings, The Laws of Life.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Hello TinFoilHat!

I don't think getting a full understanding of the arabic language and script is REALLY necessary (although I'm sure it helps). Just get a Quran with a translation (or even a Quran with a transliteration if there is such a thing).

As for prayers, I'm sure you could find instructions online in text or in video.

However, if you know any practicing muslim personally, it'd probably be the best to get help from them, especially with stuff like prayer. Otherwise, there is no harm in printing out the text, or getting a book, and repeatedly looking at while praying (which is what I did when I started out), or putting on a youtube video and praying along with it.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by babloyi]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Seems like you're searching for something and you're not sure what it is.
I would say take some time and evaluate "You" without the outside influence of religion.

Most if not all the answers you seek are already inside.

I don't think any religion is better or worse than any other so i can't say which one you should try next.

Perhaps try reading or getting into some philosophy or psychology books or studies... maybe that would be good.
Try and understand or explore the why rather than the what ifs?

At the end of the day, you have to do what feels right to you.

Religion, IMO, is not the answer, or not the only answer anyway.

[edit on 2/12/09 by blupblup]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

You sound embarrassed by the fact that you're beliefs have bounced around. Don't be; IMO it's a sign that you've thought more about this subject than most people do. (not to say, of course, that not bouncing around necessarily means you haven't thought about it)

I say go with what feels right for you; if that means organized religion, so be it. I may not be a fan of it, but it's your choice to make, not mine.

Good luck. =)

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Lol yeah i bounce around alot. I tend to over think things as it were. I have the KJV, NIV, NLT, and NAB translations of the Bible. I have two Bhagavad Gita translations, three Qur'an translations, the Upandishads and Dhammapada and a Book of Mormon I got for free (but I don't believe in Mormonism)

Religion is a complicated thing. They all pretty much teach the same ethics. It's Theology that gets in the way it seems. Obviously if Christianity and Islam claim to be the truth both cant be true, one has to be false.

Problem is if Hell is real I wouldn't want to go to it for practicing the wrong religion or devote my life to a path that I might give up and would have wasted alot of time. But I've been out of school for like 6 years now and still haven't made up my mind on which way to go.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Lol yeah i bounce around alot. I tend to over think things as it were. I have the KJV, NIV, NLT, and NAB translations of the Bible. I have two Bhagavad Gita translations, three Qur'an translations, the Upandishads and Dhammapada and a Book of Mormon I got for free (but I don't believe in Mormonism)

Religion is a complicated thing. They all pretty much teach the same ethics. It's Theology that gets in the way it seems. Obviously if Christianity and Islam claim to be the truth both cant be true, one has to be false.

Problem is if Hell is real I wouldn't want to go to it for practicing the wrong religion or devote my life to a path that I might give up and would have wasted alot of time. But I've been out of school for like 6 years now and still haven't made up my mind on which way to go.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

TinFoilHatMan,

Religion is a complicated thing. But it needn't be. If religions taught people what they need to know then they would be simpler and far more effective. If religions taught people how to be "self aware" then they would be doing the Lords work.

Being aware of who and what we are, and more importantly who and what we are not, is our primary task in life. There is nothing else. This was taught by all the great Saviours of the past: 'the real truth lies with and only through self awareness (e.g. being One with God) can you walk the path towards salvation'.

Your problem of Hell is "not" real. And any religion that teaches this is misleading you. They are wolves in sheep's clothing, manipulating your integrity for their own agenda. The truth lies within you and religions can only point you the way, they cannot take you there.

There is no such thing as practicing the wrong religion as long as you do it with 'Honesty of Mind', 'Sincerity of Spirit' and 'Detachment'. These are the golden rules of life, no matter what you do or who you are.

Love your name, btw.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Neo__]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Theology is what gets in the way. I used to be a Christian, because I wanted to follow Jesus. I pretended to believe some of the doctrines like trinity, inerrancy of scripture, other minor ones in order to fit in a group.
I gave up the pretense about twenty years ago.

All I believe is that One loving God is to be worshiped.

Jesus lives, either through resurrection or just taken up, I don't think there's any way to prove one or the other. He is the Messiah chosen by God to rule at the last day.

As a believer, my duty is to care for others as God cares for me.

These beliefs are more in accordance with Islam than Christianity. The main reason to choose a religion or church is for common fellowship and prayer and humanitarian aid. For myself it isn't much of an issue, since I'm mostly home bound. For you the needs are probably different.

My advice is to believe what you can through study and experience, and never pretend to believe what you do not. Pretending is a crippler.

Peace. God be with you.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
One of the problems I have is I've been with Christianity well going to church anyway for two years and it still hasn't brought me any happiness. I wonder if I'm just practicing the wrong faith. There is other religions out there. I wonder if it might be better to try them out for awhile and leave Christianity.

Islam is an alternative because you still have God and the prophets and bible stories in the Quran. It's just more formalized by praying five times a day in Arabic and memorizing the Qur'an in Arabic for the prayers. Though it's a difficult task to memorize that stuff.

Either way where I'm at there is no mosques, temples, synagogues, etc. Only churches. I'd have to drive an hour to the city to see any diversity in religious buildings. So I'd have to learn everything online, which wouldn't be a problem.

I keep having crisis of faith with Christianity and I'm at the point where I'm thinking of leaving it behind, though I'm still not sure.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinFoilHatMan55
One of the problems I have is I've been with Christianity well going to church anyway for two years and it still hasn't brought me any happiness. I wonder if I'm just practicing the wrong faith.

Happiness comes from within. No external religion will make you happy. It is a personal journey.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Muttering to yourself isn't going to bring you happiness, it takes a little more effort than that. Some people can convince themselves it does but you're obviously too smart for that and your brain is fighting the nonsense being inflicted upon it. Show some remorse.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

It's difficult to find truth within any religion that professes to be "right" while all others are "wrong"... (and that goes for Christianity as well as Islam, and as well as many other religions)....

Instead of looking for one to fit in with, why not simply refine your own, personal ideas of spirituality? Then, if they happen to match up with an existing religion, then great, you've found your niche', if not, then at least YOU know what you believe, and what is real for YOU...
You can also pick and choose what you like from each you know... Sure, the zealots will say that's "blasphemy", but hey, it's YOUR mind and soul, not theirs....

top topics

join