It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats more important to protect?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
So today, in school, my teacher asked us this question.

What is more important to protect? Someone's individual rights, or people's protection? why?

This reminded me of a lot of things. Like us having to give up some of our rights for our protection, how we depend on the government for protection.

So i was just wondering, what is your answer to the question?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarhero4rox
So today, in school, my teacher asked us this question.

What is more important to protect? Someone's individual rights, or people's protection? why?

This reminded me of a lot of things. Like us having to give up some of our rights for our protection, how we depend on the government for protection.

So i was just wondering, what is your answer to the question?
simple: our freedom, at all cost!

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Peoples rights obviously.

You can always take measures to protect yourself. I am unaware of any measures I can take to grant rights to myself.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Peoples personal rights. Why, because I don't trust anyone to protect myself except for myself, but I don't have the right to do that. You shoot an intruder in your home and you are the one who gets in trouble, but if you rely on the police its generally to late, you are either attacked, killed or had your stuff stolen, non of witch the police can usually do anything about, at the very least its a very costly situation money wise. Its a lose lose situation when you have to depend on someone else to protect you and yours. If someone really wanted to do damage to someone or a group of people, they are going to find a way to do it and there is little that law enforcement can do about it. I'm sure that criminals are thwarted prior to the act every now and again , but the majority of the time its not until after the act that they get caught.
I haven't flown since 9/11 but not because I am afraid of terrorists. I would feel much safer today if flying was like it was pre 9/11. Right now I am more afraid of accidentally being accused of being a terrorist because I had something in my carry on, that I forgot was now against the rules. We have all heard the horror stories of what has happened to people who back hand lotion or mouth wash.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
There's actually nothing to protect.

The ONLY freedom that you have is in your own head, and it's called The Mind.

The Mind can NEVER be enslaved unless you enslave yourself, and this is why humanity turning into slaves for the Elite will NEVER happen.

It's just not possible. It doesn't matter how many laws or rules they make to prevent open thinking. You can not stop The Mind. There were ALWAYS be resistance.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarhero4rox

people die.

unfortunate things happen every day, regardless of how extreme or lax laws are.

for these two reasons, and many more, the answer is always individual freedoms.

though i don't care what laws they put in place, i live my life with my god-given rights and everyone else should do the same. then it wouldn't matter the silly little laws they put in place.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Don't drink the Kool Aid, the Government cannot and will not guarantee your protection. What they can do is take away your individual rights and personal freedoms and give the sorry excuse it is for the safety of the collective.

For example, The Patriot Act has absolutely nothing to do with protecting the general public from some bogeyman around every corner. It has everything to do with giving the Government the power to violate your Constitutional rights and spy on their own citizens, as they work their way toward a fascist police state.

If you are not going to be willing to fight for your basic human rights, rest assured they will take your rights away from you. Most people feel a false sense of security because they say this cannot happen here.

As the Greek Philosopher Plato said:

“Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty.”

top topics

join