It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mist of pig brain tissue sickened slaughterhouse workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Not exactly swine-flu-related, but certainly horrific.

Photo by fleur design
​Between November 2006 and May 2008, two dozen slaughterhouse workers in Minnesota and Indiana took ill with a variety of neurological and physical illnesses. Now, researchers think they know why.

The medical journal Lancet Neurology describes what happened this way: "An outbreak of neurological autoimmunity with polyradiculoneuropathy in workers exposed to aerosolised porcine neural tissue."

That's another way of saying the workers inhaled a mist of pig brain tissue and it made them very sick.

Twenty-one of those affected were from Minnesota, while the rest were from Indiana. Many, but not all, of the workers were stationed near a high-powered air compressor used to blow the brains out of pig heads. Researchers say that when workers inhaled the mist, it triggered their immune systems to attack their own nervous systems:

More at source
digg.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
S & F...

That's crazy. Nothing to do with Swine Flu, hmmmmm. I was semi-famous on my dorm floor in college for eating pork brains for money. $10 and I would eat an entire can as long as I had Saltines. Tasted like vienna sausage. Never made me sick though.

(guess where I went to school
)

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Signals]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
"aerosolised porcine neural tissue"

Just about the most horrific image I ever wished to visualize.

Vegetarian in 3 ... 2 ...

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Good puppy.....tis the only way to be.
Have a carrot on me. And as for the slaughterhouse images...that is some kind of hell right there. Who in any universe is responsible for thinking up these insane techniques? Using compressed air to blow their brains out of their skulls? I know they're dead by that point, but even so...........

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
idts, its - AEROSOL poisoning, nothing to do with pig brain, just another swine fearmongering

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
"aerosolised porcine neural tissue"- the other white meat.

I'm this close to going Amish or vegetarian.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelx666

idts, its - AEROSOL poisoning, nothing to do with pig brain, just another swine fearmongering

You are incorrect ...

Technically, an aerosol is a suspension of fine solid particles or liquid droplets in a gas. *

Anything small enough to be suspended/transported in the air is in essence aerosolized ... be it let's say anthrax, or as in this case, pig brain matter.

Not fear mongering, no one is even suggesting it's a major public health risk ... just terrible news for those who breathed it in and all around horrific.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by angelx666

"aerosolised porcine neural tissue."

That means pig brain broken down into such small bits that it forms a mist, and can be inhaled. That's what an aerosol is.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
Good puppy.....tis the only way to be.
Have a carrot on me. And as for the slaughterhouse images...that is some kind of hell right there. Who in any universe is responsible for thinking up these insane techniques? Using compressed air to blow their brains out of their skulls? I know they're dead by that point, but even so...........

Would you be happier if they used sporks or maybe a weed whacker?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder

Would you be happier if they used sporks or maybe a weed whacker?

For my part, I'd be happier if they did't turn it into Eau de Cochon for men.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Animal brains are very nutritious and are consumed by the remaining hunter-gatherer societiess of the world. They are considered a delicacy. Yummmmmy.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
DEv , you really really love your meat huh.
i wonder how much meat you can take in at once?
have you ever tried to see how much meat you can handle?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

hahaha, it seems like your implying something there, perhaps its just the way my brain works. Might as well ask him if he wants to smoke a sausage cigar.

Anyway, I feel bad for people who have to do this for a living, .... I would hope such jobs are left for the reincarnated likes of Dick Cheney and Miley Cyrus.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
othing out of the ordianary aobut usinga high pressure water gun to remove brain matter for 8 hours ian row every day. its the way nature intended us to live.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

As Oscar Wilde said, "It is only the intellectually lost who ever argue."

However, if you'd like to discuss, I'm all ears......

.....check your ignorance at the door, please.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by STFUPPERCUTTER
DEv , you really really love your meat huh.
i wonder how much meat you can take in at once?

I wonder when you'll ever provide substance to ANY discussion on ATS......

....still wating........

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
OMG I can feel myself turning vegetarian...
I sometimes wonder how many of us would be turned off meat by a visit to a slaughter house or if we had to kill the animal ourselves?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Its the part about the "mist" causing the human nervous system to autocannibalize itself through immune system reactions that freaks me out, personally. I mean, what a way to go.

Not that this will stop me from enjoying a nice fat rack o' pork ribs whenver I can.

new topics

top topics

join