It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Served: SSgt Mejia found guilty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone else saw this today or not. I figured I would post it for those who did not.

The Associated Press
Updated: 1:21 p.m. ET May 21, 2004FORT STEWART, Ga. - A military jury convicted a U.S. soldier Friday of desertion for leaving his combat unit in Iraq in protest of the war.

Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia of the Florida National Guard was found guilty by a jury of four officers and four enlisted soldiers

LINK

I support the verdict. He did the crime and now he can pay the price. I like how the defense used the argument that he would have been ordered to attack prisoners if he went back. That is pathetic.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I dunno..
We're talking about a decorated staff sergeant here...
The article says
Mejia said he became upset after seeing civilians hit by gunfire and watching an Iraqi boy die after confusion over which military doctor should treat him.
I mean if it was just desertation because he didnt want to do his job, then fair enough, but here I believe he was influenced by combat fatigue/stress/similar factors...

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
after finding out what we have found out about the military operations in Iraq, I don't blame Mejia, but he did have a legal commitment to the Army, so I guess the verdict is fair.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It is obvious that the military had to make an example of him in case it opened the floodgates for others to do the same. He was fecked from the beginning.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
It is obvious that the military had to make an example of him in case it opened the floodgates for others to do the same. He was fecked from the beginning.

I disagree. The verdict that was delivered would never deter anyone else from comitting the same crime.

Now, if they would have given him the death penalty.....

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Although I do not support the war in Iraq and understand why he wanted abstain from the cause, I think the verdict is fair. When one signs up for the military, they go into it knowing thier life could be used in times of war, even if the war makes no sense. Now if there were a draft and he fled to Canada, that would be a different story.

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by Narnia]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Now then here I thought desertion in wartime WAS a capitol offence.
The military at the platoon level runs on trusting that your fellow platoon mates are going to be there to cover your back - its a matter of trust and honor, neither of which this piece of dirt called Mejia has.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Now there's desertion, and then there's desertion under fire, a whole different thing under the UCMJ.

I agree with the decision of the court. I agree with the sentence. I agree with Mejia's protest and for his right to make it. A year at Levenworth and a BCD are not exactly a trip to Boyscout camp and a speeding ticket. A decision of concience such as his cannot have been made lightly. It is not for us to judge this man, that was done for and by his peers. Justice HAS been served.

new topics

top topics

join